Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles1812

Speilberg and Lucas discuss the fall of the tentpole and the future of film.
http://hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604
What I got from that was that because their individual films didn't do quite as well as they hoped/general public wasn't as interested in their films as say Iron Man, the movie industry is apparently headed for collapse... Seemed just kind of silly to me. Not to say the entertainment industry isn't going thru change, but yeah, their predictions just seem farfetched and dare I say almost wishful thinking on their parts.

Clever Name

I was also frustrated because many people who quit or were picked up were bragging because they still got their medals. I heard a lot of people complaining about that. That should never be allowed (not to mention that anyone with any self-respect should turn the medal down).
It just demonstrates that there are a lot of people out there with low self esteem. Just look at all the people running around with tattoos.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What I got from that was that because their individual films didn't do quite as well as they hoped/general public wasn't as interested in their films as say Iron Man, the movie industry is apparently headed for collapse... Seemed just kind of silly to me.

That's not what they are saying at all... Lincoln which was referenced multiple times made over 250 million dollars and was very very popular. They are talking about the studio decision makers... not the general public. The prediction is the mega-blockbuster being picked by the studios are so risky.. that eventually there will be a big group of bombs... and bring down those decision makers with them.

lazyboy97o

What I got from that was that because their individual films didn't do quite as well as they hoped/general public wasn't as interested in their films as say Iron Man, the movie industry is apparently headed for collapse... Seemed just kind of silly to me. Not to say the entertainment industry isn't going thru change, but yeah, their predictions just seem farfetched and dare I say almost wishful thinking on their parts.
I didn't get that at all. I think Spielberg is right, that more eggs are being put in fewer baskets. We're talking about films where a few hundred million in box office can still be a financial failure. It will be a game changer when several bomb within a short period of time.

stevehousse

I usually don't like movie reviews because everyone's personalities an opinions are different, ad I may love one movie when another hates it! I like to judge them for myself!

I am not a huge superman movie fan, ihave seen all of them, and I didn't like the number 4 at all. I will say that this version looks promising and I hope it delivers to my expectations! Plus my son is on a huge super hero kick right now and really wants to see it!

ThemeParks4Life

I usually don't like movie reviews because everyone's personalities an opinions are different, ad I may love one movie when another hates it! I like to judge them for myself!

I am not a huge superman movie fan, ihave seen all of them, and I didn't like the number 4 at all. I will say that this version looks promising and I hope it delivers to my expectations! Plus my son is on a huge super hero kick right now and really wants to see it!
I always go by the word of The Dude with critics (and pretty much everyone):

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like uh, your opinion man."

However, I agree with critics most of the time.

misterID

That's not what they are saying at all... Lincoln which was referenced multiple times made over 250 million dollars and was very very popular. They are talking about the studio decision makers... not the general public. The prediction is the mega-blockbuster being picked by the studios are so risky.. that eventually there will be a big group of bombs... and bring down those decision makers with them.

And the guy who greenlit "The Purge" is laughing all the way to the bank. So is Ethan Hawke, who forgoes the huge salary for a big back end % for these small budget genre films.

stevehousse

And the guy who greenlit "The Purge" is laughing all the way to the bank. So is Ethan Hawke, who forgoes the huge salary for a big back end % for these small budget genre films.

Being in the movie theatre business I was completely shocked that The Purge was number 1! Completely crazy considering the last 2 weeks had very solid numbers for films.

ThemeParks4Life

Being in the movie theatre business I was completely shocked that The Purge was number 1! Completely crazy considering the last 2 weeks had very solid numbers for films.
Fast and Furious wouldn't stay at the top forever, but I assume After Earth and Now You See Me's bad word of mouth has gotten around. In fact, I just looked on Box Office Mojo and After Earth has the same numbers as Battleship did in it's first 12 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom