DHS CARS LAND

the.dreamfinder

1)Ike and JL have a lot of power within the TWDC machine
2)Tony didn't like JL for coming in - Little Mermaid has a distinctive plastic JL feel to it. Tony liked Pete Docter and had a good relationship with him not JL
3)If JL doesn't want it he will but his retirement on the line - combined with a refocused WDAS, Disney mangaemnt would mostly sacrifice Iger in order to JL.

TDO wanted CarsLand ... TDO could of said they wanted an exciting counter-point to Harry Potter and thy most likely would of been presented with something good, but they are risk adverse, hence them wanting Cars Land

Most of suits think there is no growth potential, hence timeshares and NextGen. TDO is systemic - they are the ones who like to value engineer. So Burbank might approve a $500million project that takes 2 years to complete and they decide to push it over 3 years and reduce it by $50million. Hence Car(d)s (Board)Land...

Good, well informed post.
Some added thoughts (Numbers do not correspond to previous post)
1)Pete Docter is heir apparent at Pixar/WDAS and The Inside Out may be his last film for a while.
2)Suits think there is no growth potential because Jay Rasulo hired them and he does not give a about the parks, it takes time to see the ripples.
3)WDI is really, really ed up. There is absolutely no way around this. If we go back to 2006 when Disney bought Pixar, WDFA was not as messed up as WDI. The main issue at WDFA was management's incompetence. They wanted to make "hip and edgy" CG films like Shrek and Madagascar and they didn't care if that meant they had to fire talent, a good amount of said talent was rehired by JL and some then fired recently. However, there still was talent there and he got lots of good talent fresh out of school that was headed straight to Pixar/Dreamworks to look at WDAS. (American Dog has been the exception of his leadership at WDAS and, much like Brave, was cold, hurtful and miscalculated) WDI then and now has a dearth of talent at all age levels, wastes lots of $$$ on master imagineers like Baxter and Rhode and doesn't let them really do anything substantial, has ditched AAs for cheap gimmicks like screens and interactive queues (ask Joe Rhode what he thinks of interactive queues), and has incompetent management.
To illustrate how far WDI has fallen, look at what Ray Bradbury said about WDI during the development of EPCOT CENTER
bradburycenter.jpg

Do people feel that way towards the WDI of TODAY? WDI needs a group of people whose sole responsibility is to fix it, it was never going to be JL. Instead, JL and Steve should have fought to oust Rasulo, have Ouimet run P&R and cleaned house at WDI with experienced and passionate leadership.
The only way to save WDI is to destroy it.

ToTBellHop

Good, well informed post.
Some added thoughts (Numbers do not correspond to previous post)
1)Pete Docter is heir apparent at Pixar/WDAS and The Inside Out may be his last film for a while.
2)Suits think there is no growth potential because Jay Rasulo hired them and he does not give a **** about the parks, it takes time to see the ripples.
3)WDI is really, really ed up. There is absolutely no way around this. If we go back to 2006 when Disney bought Pixar, WDAS, WDFA was not as messed up as WDI. The main issue at WDFA was management's incompetence. They wanted to make "hip and edgy" CG films like Shrek and Madagascar and they didn't care if that meant they had to fire talent, a good amount of said talent was rehired by JL and some then fired recently. However, there still was talent there and he got lots of good talent that was headed straight to Pixar/Dreamworks to look at WDAS. (American Dog has been the exception of his leadership at WDAS and, much like Brave, was cold, hurtful and miscalculated) WDI then and now has a dearth of talent at all age levels, wastes lots of $$$ on master imagineers like Baxter and Rhode and don't let them really do anything substantial, has ditched AAs for cheap gimmicks like screens and interactive queues (ask Joe Rhode what he thinks of interactive queues), and has incompetent management.
To illustrate how far WDI has fallen, look at what Ray Bradbury said about WDI during the development of EPCOT CENTER
bradburycenter.jpg

Do people feel that way towards the WDI of TODAY? WDI needs a group of people whose sole responsibility is to fix it, it was never going to be JL. Instead, JL and Steve should have fought to oust Rasulo, have Ouimet run P&R and cleaned house at WDI with experienced and passionate leadership.
The only way to save WDI is to destroy it.
Great post, but when did the word f***ed stop being filtered out at wdwmagic?

Californian Elitist

Interesting. So if they build anything Pixar at DHS there will at least be a level of quality oversight above local management. I didn't know that existed, but it is a good thing. I would hope those folks would have the ability to also block too much value engineering in the design and construction phase.

Apparently Florida doesn't have this Pixar team.

the.dreamfinder

It better be substantial change or I really won't know what to do with Disney or myself for that matter.

A friend of mine who was a HUGE Star Wars fan went cold turkey when we got out of high school. I haven't talked to him since Episode 7 was announced, but you can break the addiction.

HMF

A friend of mine who was a HUGE Star Wars fan went cold turkey when we got out of high school. I haven't talked to him since Episode 7 was announced, but you can break the addiction.
Star Wars and Disney are such huge parts of my life that nearly everything the Iger/Rasulo/Staggs contingent have done feel like personal attacks. Tony Baxter's "Retirement" was the final straw for me so I really hope that spirited change occurs in 2015 otherwise, I just don't know.

TP2000

Pixar has a theme park division that among other things monitors shows and attractions based on Pixar IP. As shown recently with Rt 66's repaving at CL where Pixar people inspected the repaving and had them redo it which can be seen here (http://micechat.com/29124-disneyland-resort-monstrous-summer/)

JL's Pixar team also keeps a close eye on A Bug's Land at DCA, with four Bug's Life rides and a 3D show there.

The It's Tough To Be A Bug show in DCA's A Bug's Land just had a two week rehab closure, even though it looked and worked fine and has had other rehabs in the recent past. I went to see the Bugs show today, and it looks fantastic, like a brand new crystal-clear presentation even though it's 15 year old tech in a 12 year old facility. Every theater effect worked, the audio was brilliant, the lighting enveloping and oozing from every cranny in the rockwork, and the animatronics were fluid and impressive.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time It's Tough To Be A Bug at DAK had a two week rehab? Or any rehab? When was the last time Lassetter even visited DAK to see "his" Bug show?

the.dreamfinder

Yes, because I doubt the Laugh Floor would have ever been placed in the MK if there was such a team at WDW.
JT we're talking about QA for attractions to make sure they are running at spec. Just because I'm not a fan of MILF in TL does not mean I don't want the show to be up to par.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom