Bring Back the Tomorrowland Towers

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
originalwdwtmo.jpg

TL%2Bent%2B75.jpg

524067715_d237d823fe_o.jpg

4562298-16868890-thumbnail.jpg

I'm just saying they looked really cool and the more I look at them, the more I appreciate their design and how the break up the large visual space the rooftops of Tomorrowland create over that side of the hub (there's no trees or other buildings to "fill in" the gaps), and add another kenetic touch in the form of the waterfalls.

Tokyo still has theirs and I love how they frame SM. Too bad they never built the peoplemover or put Star Jets in the center of the land.

tomorrowland_entrance.jpg

t181.jpg

But would they fit the current look? Not built as they were then, but maybe they could now with some metalic patterns and accents. Or if they are building Tomorrowland '67 2.0 at Disneyland soon (as rumoured by Miceage), perhaps the '75 MK look could come back, but with a fresh makeover?

bgraham34

They were pretty cool. I have seen video of them in the past and It would look pretty cool if it returned. I know at the time they had issues with the pump pushing water up that high. Now its a non issue.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
How would Disney fill them with plants? ;)

"Coming this summer to the Magic Kingdom, Disney will introduce an exciting new feature to the Magic Kingdom Park, the world's tallest potted plants - and not just one, but two, for twice the magic!

"We think guests will be thrilled to see such a fitting tribute to the classic former park icons - the Tomorrowland towers." Explains park president, Phil Holmes. "They really are great plants onto themselves, but it's an enitiely new dimesnion in imerssive park experiences to have two of them featured. It also demonstrates our commitment to preserving the local enviroment by not running all that water, and putting more vegetation back into the park."

Guests will be also be able to purchase commermerative merchandise at a special limited fan event next week in honor of the occassion, and of course, Disney PHOTOPASS photographers will be on hand to snap pictures at the newly placed greenery."

Source: moronic Disney Parks Blog post ;)

danpam1024

"Coming this summer to the Magic Kingdom, Disney will introduce an exciting new feature to the Magic Kingdom Park, the world's tallest potted plants - and not just one, but two, for twice the magic!

"We think guests will be thrilled to see such a fitting tribute to the former park icons - the Tomorrowland towers." Explains park president, Phil Holmes. "They really are great plants onto themselves, but it's an enitiely new dimesnion in imerssive park experiences to have two of them featured. It also demonstrates our commitment to preserving the local enviroment by not running all that water, and putting more vegetation back into the park."

Guests will be also be able to purchase commermerative merchandise at a special limited fan event next week in honor of the occassion, and of course, Disney PHOTOPASS photographers will be on hand to snap pictures at the newly placed greenery."

Source: moronic Disney Parks Blog post ;)
LMAO!!!!

Tonka's Skipper

originalwdwtmo.jpg

TL%2Bent%2B75.jpg

524067715_d237d823fe_o.jpg

4562298-16868890-thumbnail.jpg

I'm just saying they looked really cool and the more I look at them, the more I appreciate their design and how the break up the large visual space the rooftops of Tomorrowland create over that side of the hub (there's no trees or other buildings to "fill in" the gaps), and add another kenetic touch in the form of the waterfalls.

Tokyo still has theirs and I love how they frame SM. Too bad they never built the peoplemover or put Star Jets in the center of the land.

tomorrowland_entrance.jpg

t181.jpg

But would they fit the current look? Not built as they were then, but maybe they could now with some metalic patterns and accents. Or if they are building Tomorrowland '67 2.0 at Disneyland soon (as rumoured by Miceage), perhaps the '75 MK look could come back, but with a fresh makeover?

Ho......YES.........THIS......NO.....QUESTION!

AKK

Rob562

While they were very beautiful, the wind would often blow the water onto the bridge which was one factor in the eventual discontinuation of the waterfalls from the spires. (The water down the sloped walls on either side stayed for a while, though)

-Rob

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Eh... I prefer avenue of the planets.

Tomorrowland '94 had/has many good attributes, and this is one of them. However, because much of the 70s look of the land remains (due to budget issues at the time) and the two best attractions were replaced with much inferior offerings, I'm starting to lean on the "scrap it" side. At least if they aren't committed to fully realizing it and making it better.

I also said in my OP that the towers could come back with the current look, if modified.

Jane Whalebones

WOW....hate I never got to see them.:( There was a 15 year stretch that I was unable to visit.:eek: But yeah...would be waaaaaaaaay cool to bring them back!:)

Timon

The side wings were more problems as they had to be cleaned a lot and leaked on the walk ways behind each side. The Towers were just freak'n cool. Water moving, Peoplemover gliding , StarJets flying nothing but action. The towers had more like blasters than todays Laminar Flow Jets like the Epcot Fountain has. I think today the towers could respond to the weather conditions automatically and other fountains in the Moat could do a show on the hour or every evening.

DizFiz

What a blast from the past... I love to see these back there shouldn't be as much issue now with all the tech.

The Empress Lilly

The towers were awesome. And they only look better now.

I think WDW ought to solve the problem of how to keep TL about 'tomorrow' with the solution of DLP: with retro-futurism. In DLP it is based on the French futurism of Jules Verne. But WDW could go one better. It could revamp TL based on the futurism of Walt Disney. And instead of a made-up 1890s futurist look, it could base itself on an authentic mid-century spage age design. The real TL'71 is an awesome look. And it ties the land in with the entire eastern half of Seven Seas Lagoon: the Contemporary and the TTC, who all echo each other's design.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm brave but I'm going to come out and say it.........I never really liked the towers that much.

To me they seemed to be a symbol of a futuristic overlord or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom