Mickey's new voice??!!!

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
So I came across this Mickey Mouse Playhouse video on Netflix the other day. It was racing cars or something. I thought "What the heck, this show was always cute" and clicked on it. Watched the show's opening. Then the episode began...and holy crap Mickey's voice!!!!

I realize that we've lost the great Wayne Allwine, and that a new voice actor had to replace him...but this new Mickey voice sounds bizarre. It's a tad deeper, which is okay, but the phrasing...or something...anyway it sounds wayyyyy off. I was in shock.

Just thought I'd share that. :p

216bruce

Wow, he really sounds different. I know that the folks at Disney are busy, but they couldn't find someone who's a little closer sound-a-like to the Mickey we all know? Dislike.

imagineer boy

Wow, that sounds awful. Brett Iwan most certainly doesn't sound like that. Maybe they had some sort of mix up and couldn't us him for that episode for some reason?

Cosmic Commando

It was only one sentence... not enough to really make an evaluation on. Bret Iwan has done it for several years now, so everyone here has probably heard his voice, even if they didn't realize it.

DisneyGuyNYC

It's not going to look like Brave or Wreck-It Ralph. Those movies take years and kids TV shows have to be cranked out every few weeks.
But even Jimmy Neutron looked the same as that and that premiered over a decade ago... Clone Wars and Tron look amazing today. I think MMCH is exceptionally bad in contrast.

That said the voice work here is definitely the most different I've ever heard... but it's a good direction for the future of the character. If he's going to be a leading man again (not just a silent mascot) and star in movies he's unfortunately going to have to tone it down a bit.

Yert3

It's not going to look like Brave or Wreck-It Ralph. Those movies take years and kids TV shows have to be cranked out every few weeks.
Yes. I know this. But I've seen other animated tv shows with way better animation. WAY better. They're just being lazy.

Wow, that sounds awful. Bret Iwan most certainly doesn't sound like that. Maybe they had some sort of mix up and couldn't us him for that episode for some reason?

Actually, that "deepened" Mickey voice is Wayne Allwine, during the last year or two of his life. His health conditions obviously affected his voice. Compare the Mickey voice in that clip to Wayne's previous Mickey performances (Mickey's Christmas Carol, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Prince and the Pauper, Runaway Brain, Mickey Mouse Works, House of Mouse, etc.) and you'll notice that his Mickey voice in those earlier projects was much higher in pitch.

prberk

Same thing happened to Walt, if the post above is true about Wayne Allwine's Mickey voice lowering over time.

Check out the original MMC openings, which are some of the last times that Walt voiced Mickey, and compare them to his earlier voice in the movies. The MMC was a little deeper. I still think, though, that it was the reference standard for Mickey Mouse's voice.

Cmdr_Crimson

Here's Mickey's 5 Voices in Order...
Walt Disney, Jimmy Mcdonald, Les Perkins, Wayne Allwine, And Brett Iwan
actor_7133.jpg
actor_4701.jpg
actor_7165.jpg
actor_3397.jpg
actor_3431.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom