Downtown Disney rumor

yoyoflamingo

http://www.userglue.com/2012/11/16/keys-to-the-kingdom-tour/
Someone had the new name in Nov 2012 when they went on the keys to the kingdom tour. Interesting ain't it
It's on his list just scroll down until you see it.

See what you're referring to, but also a few up from it is the incorrect crediting of Albert Hague to Thurl Ravenscroft's voice work. Proves you can't believe everything you hear on a tour, unfortunately.

articos

I can't give you specifics but the theming will be on-par with The Grove in Los Angeles! Be prepared to be blown away.
I'm torn on this comparison. On one hand, I hate that DTD should be compared to an outdoor mall, regardless of whether that outdoor mall out-Disney's Disney. That said, Rick, the developer of The Grove and Americana, specifically hired Disney people to build his projects, which were widely deemed to be a huge waste of money that would never make back their investments. They have, in spades, and are some of the highest grossing shopping centers nationally. On the other hand, that's similar to DTD, which also commands some of the highest numbers for a shopping destination in the nation and is, in fact, an outdoor mall. The next phase is a transition to the current trend towards outdoor lifestyle center. The better comparison to make here is Americana, due to scale and entertainment offerings. If Disney puts in what the planning is leading towards, DTD should outdo Americana. If they do that, then it will be sufficiently unique. If they put in as good as and make it only on par with The Grove or Americana, then it's just another high-end lifestyle center.

Agreed. That's where CityWalk succeeds and Downtown Disney fails. Don't get me wrong, I like both, but CityWalk's location as sort of a "central hub" to both the parks and the three hotels, and serving as an entryway from the parking garage to the parks just makes it ideal. Downtown Disney is just sort of... Away from everything.
On purpose. The FL property is built with the luxury of space. The Village was built to serve a completely different purpose before MGM or PI were ever on the drawing boards. Universal and DL are simply using their limited land to the best purpose. MGM was built as a separate park, and the FL parks are designed as full day experiences. The boat transportation between MGM and Epcot was, like all waterway transportation, meant to give an exploration of the property and give a moment of downtime before putting you back in the parks. The Marketplace and DTD are meant as a sideline destination shopping/dining/entertainment experience away from the parks, not like DTD Anaheim where it's all part and parcel. Different purpose given with different land use. Also, The Village was put there to support the thousands of hotel rooms nearby, keeping them all on the property - originally because there was nothing else close. Boardwalk was originally put near Epcot to give a separate bit of nightlife for the Epcot Resorts, but it never really worked out the way it was planned.

Kobe!!

I'm not allowed to disclose anything more then when I'm about to say on here since some people know who I am in real life, however I did say back in early Dec 2012 that a parking garage among other things will be coming to DtD soon. ;)

Genie of the Lamp

Problem solved: Disney's Retail Kingdom... Includes interactivity: Mickey not only mocks you for not buying cruddy merchandise, he actually pick pockets you!!!! Oh, and in order to experience this, you need to book it 180 days in advance!!!!

Doesn't he already do that when he watches us on video camera? It's like he talks to your mind and gentily persuades you to dig a little deeper into your wallet. On a serious note that seems to be what it should be called right now in its current state.

Gtovryslf

mouserest.png

Yes, most retirement home websites really are this MAGICAL....

This wins for BEST. RESPONSE. EVER.
I'm still laughing!!!!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Saw on twitter to stay tuned to the Disney parks blog this week because there are a lot of interesting stories coming up.. Could we get an announcement soon??

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
It would seem best to me to keep the Downtown Disney name for the whole are but rename the Pleasure Island area Disney Springs (if that's what they keep). Pleasure Island was such a great name for the Entertainment area almost anything they pick would be bad after that.

I love the addition of the parking garage. They added 3 to our local mall and I would much rather park in the garage out of the elements then in the parking lot.

Mammymouse

Disney Springs sounds too close to Saratoga Springs it seems to me. It just doesn't have enough pizazz to be a distinct area. And you all know how many people get the names of Parks confused, for example my older aunt, who has been to WDW a couple of times in recent years, and even stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge, calls all of Disneyworld Magic Kingdom. When I mention Epcot her eyes just glaze over.

articos

Keep in mind the name can change up to and through opening. Don't be too worried about that, even after it's announced.

G00fyDad

Problem solved: Disney's Retail Kingdom... Includes interactivity: Mickey not only mocks you for not buying cruddy merchandise, he actually pick pockets you!!!! Oh, and in order to experience this, you need to book it 180 days in advance!!!!

But with a Magicband you can still book this "day of", just as long as you use your smartphone that everyone in the world has. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom