New Mexican Restaurant Coming to Downtown Disney

DonChi

Ill have some queso dip please! I hope they dont make the menu all Andrew Zimmerman-ish. Not that i mind the unique menus at some restaurants, it would just be great to have good ol' tex mex (i know zimmerman eats more extreme stuff, thats just what I call it)

In my humble opinion. Please don't base your opinion in another country's cuisine out of Andrew Zimmer, he is not a good example. Instead use Anthony Bourdain's program.

To clear things a little bit, Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisine are not the same.

What WDW needs is a good steakhouse.

Obi Walt Kenobi

I would like to see a Disney owned restaurant pop up at DTD. Disney should be willing to Invest in there own properties. it's not like they are not experienced in running restaurants. If their not willing too why would anyone else. There is plenty of open space available. Mexican/ Tex Mex seems like a wise choice, let the Disney chefs imagineer the menu and imagineering create a beautiful themed building and it will most likely be a success.

crispy

Take this for what it's worth, but my castmember friend has been assigned to work on the new project that is in the works for DtD. He couldn't say what is in the works only that something is about to happenand that it was "cool". He works with the finances/budgets so it sounds like they are planning to spend money to do something. (This is just a buddy from college who works there is a number cruncher so no major insider knowledge).

wdwfan4ver

In my humble opinion. Please don't base your opinion in another country's cuisine out of Andrew Zimmer, he is not a good example. Instead use Anthony Bourdain's program.

To clear things a little bit, Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisine are not the same.

What WDW needs is a good steakhouse.
I don't think WDW really needs a good Steakhouse as a first priority, but adding one wouldn't hurt. WDW does have Shula and Yachtsmen Steakhouse. I heard great things about Shula's steakhouse, but I never went there. It boils to it not being the Disney Dining plan for a very good reason. The Swann and Dolphin is on WDW property, but the two hotels aren't owned by the Disney Company. I went to the Yachtsmen Steakhouse back in the 1990's and in the early 2000's. It was a great place that I happened to get sick at in 2006. I heard the food is still very good there though. I didn't mention Le Cellier because that place became streaky in its final days for lunch.

I do admit the quality of Steakhouses they have took a hit when they closed Concourse Steakhouse. I think a BBQ place does needs to be higher for priority at WDW though.

Genie of the Lamp

Here's my suggestion for DTD restaurants that people are wanting for these respective culinary groupings:
Mexican-Joe T Garcia's
BBQ-Jack's BBQ
Wings-Duff's Famous Wings

Alien

I think Disney needs to get out of all these new restaurants in DTD bit.... with nothing original or Disney run, Disney really is out sourcing

and a DTD comprised mainly of restaurants wont help DTD much

Hedwig's Keeper

They definitely need to have a Mexican restaurant in DLR. I am treated to Mariachi music in my neighborhood regularly. My favorite performer is Alberto Ranjel III. If they open this restaurant, they really need to get that level of talent to compliment the atmosphere. I will hold them to a high level of standard

71jason

and a DTD comprised mainly of restaurants wont help DTD much

This. The adult-oriented table-service restaurant market is already saturated at DTD.

As for "dream lists" of chains you'd love to see in DTD--remember numerous well-known national chains turned Disney down during the first attempted revelopment of PI 5 years ago. When Mickey Ds left, did top competitor Burger King or Southern staple Chik-Fil-A jump in to fill that gap? Nope, some Central American fast food joint no one ever heard of. Rents are just to high for an experienced restaurant to want to sign a lease here.

Kuhio

When I saw the title of this thread, I was intrigued at the idea that Disney would be opening a restaurant focusing on the cuisine of New Mexico.

Tater48

Not in Downtown Disney area, but Chuy's Tex-Mex is opening a new restaurant around 192 and Blake Lake Road. Scheduled opening date is March 19th. IMHO, Chuy's beats anything that this area has to offer in the way of Tex-Mex.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
King Bob posted something interesting on his Save PI blog ...

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2013/02/pi-update-are-pollo-campero-bodies.html

Seems Pollo Campero/Bodies has disappeared from the online DTD map. Kind of like happened to Celebrate Tonight just before that show was 86ed. With rumors of a new Disney-run restaurant going in "near T-Rex," can put 2+2 together...

Interesting. Thanks for the info! I wonder how long the Pollo Campero contract was/is for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom