Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

ExtinctJenn

I've tried Googling and searching around the runDisney site but can't find this. Anyone know when the 2014 Princess Half will be? Is it always that last weekend in February?

Mad Stitch

2014? The earliest they will publish that date is in the program for the 2013 race, and even then it is subject to change.

rani8600

The year before it was the first weekend in March i believe, so it does vary. it should be around the same time though it you are just looking to design your training program.

ExtinctJenn

The year before it was the first weekend in March i believe, so it does vary. it should be around the same time though it you are just looking to design your training program.
Thanks for that! That's kind of where I was trying to get. I know the exact date probably won't be available soon but if it's usually around last weekend in February or first weekend in March I can at least get a good idea now how to plan for it. :)

Does anyone have some must needed tips for a first race? I'm training right now and will sign up probably in October. Princess Half Marathon 2013 here I come! :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Does anyone have some must needed tips for a first race? I'm training right now and will sign up probably in October. Princess Half Marathon 2013 here I come! :)
The biggest thing with Disney races is get on the bus early the day of the race. We try to be at the buses right at 3:00 am. A lot of people complain about drive times to the start area, but we've never seen it, and we attribute that to the fact that we are the first ones out of the resort in the morning.

Mr mom

The biggest thing with Disney races is get on the bus early the day of the race. We try to be at the buses right at 3:00 am. A lot of people complain about drive times to the start area, but we've never seen it, and we attribute that to the fact that we are the first ones out of the resort in the morning.

How in the heck do you get sleep before that?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Get to bed early....real early....we always do rope drop the day before and make sure not to nap. We are usually to bed by 8 pm, and up by 2. It's not great sleep, but you need to get as much as you can :)

Ariel484

In addition to what Fievel said...

Don't try anything new on race day - fuel, hydration, clothing, shoes, hats, whatever. You want to test these things out during training and figure out what works and what doesn't work.

Don't worry too much about your speed for a first race - Disney requires racers to maintain a 16 minute/mile pace. That's the only number you need to focus on.

Pick a training plan that you think you can fit into your life and STICK TO IT!

Don't forget your camera on race day! :)

Get to bed early....real early....we always do rope drop the day before and make sure not to nap. We are usually to bed by 8 pm, and up by 2. It's not great sleep, but you need to get as much as you can :)
Yeah, that's pretty much what works for me - trying REALLY hard not to take a nap the day before. It's hard to sleep because you're so anxious, but once that alarm goes off in the morning hours the adrenaline kicks in. :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Also...lay your clothes out the night before so you don't forget anything...You will be more alert in the evening, and it'll help you focus on what's important. That way, in the morning, you can just work off the pile, grab your drop bag and be off.

Ariel484

Also...lay your clothes out the night before so you don't forget anything...You will be more alert in the evening, and it'll help you focus on what's important. That way, in the morning, you can just work off the pile, grab your drop bag and be off.

Yes, great suggestion. I always pin my bib to my shirt too, but then I end up adjusting it a million times that morning anyway. :rolleyes:

Oh, and set multiple alarms - room wake-up call, the alarm clock on the nightstand, your phone, etc...how depressing would it be to sleep through the race?!

Mr mom

Wow, you guys make me want to bite the bullet and sign up for a race. Unfortunately the one closest in time frame to me, a ten K is the same weekend I go to New Hampshire.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We also travel with our running gear on our on-board bag when we fly. That way if something funky happens with the luggage, we still have all the proper gear to run our race. It's never happened, but we like to play it safe.

Mr mom

We also travel with our running gear on our on-board bag when we fly. That way if something funky happens with the luggage, we still have all the proper gear to run our race. It's never happened, but we like to play it safe.

That is really wise

SulleyanBoo

Thank you all! You helped me a lot. Do you know which resorts would be the best to stay it?
All Star Sports! We are on a budget so that's where we stay and it's fun. Last year a bunch of people decorated their windows and stuff we had princess balloons and ours for the day of the race :)

Good luck! It is SO exciting.

SulleyanBoo

I officially start my training tomorrow... buttttt, I unofficially started with the beginner milage 3 weeks ago. ;)

After the 10 miler last month, I had to sign up for another race and the 2013 princess 1/2 is on my 24th birthday... so it was the perfect race :)
awesome! You will LOVE it! Congrats on the 10 miler! I've been training. It's not easy for me since running has never been my niche lol but I like it because it's a good challenge :) Good luck on your training and the race!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom