New Muppet Ride?

lebeau

Oh, and I wouldn't use the word 'satisfied' to describe anyone at Disney. They really aren't sure what to do with them at this point, which (sadly) leaves them in the same position they've been in since they bought them almost 15 years after trying.

Perhaps "relieved" is a better word. No one is going to get sacked over The Muppets. At least, not solely over The Muppets. It was a small stakes gamble that didn't pay off. But since they didn't bet the house, everyone can walk away with their jobs.

I'm not so sure at all. Disney has been shoving the Muppets down our collective throats for over a year now. And the results aren't there. Did you see Muppets merchandise flying off the shelves of Disney (and other) Stores over Christmas season?

It's funny you mention that as I have been asking myself that very question. I took my youngest to one of those fancy Disney Stores the weekend before The Muppets opened. They were running Muppets-related videos on the big projection screen ever 5 minutes. There was a huge chunk of the store right next to the screen which was dedicated to Muppets merch.

As a completely unscientific observation, the stuff didn't seem to be flying off the shelf. The store had all of the plushes in stock except for Kermit. He was sold out. I checked the Disney Store website. The plushes are all available there. But at least they aren't on clearance.

Long story short, I don't know how well the merch is selling. But it's not hard to come by. That tells me it's not a runaway smash.

Iger isn't going to keep pumping money into them.

And he may be right, which hurts so much to say. They may have let them wither on the vine too long to ever make wine.

I'm with you.

The Muppets were a big part of my childhood. I'd love to see the Muppets be relevant again. But I'm not sure lightning can strike twice. Especially without the magic of Henson.

On the upside, the Muppets work cheap. Disney can keep using them to prop up their ABC shows and specials with minimum risk.

What this means for the parks, I don't know. But I can't see anyone looking at the box office performance of The Muppets and deciding to greenlight an expensive project based on that. If anything, I have to think the movie caused blue sky plans to go back into drawers for another day.

WorldofMotion34

Perhaps "relieved" is a better word. No one is going to get sacked over The Muppets. At least, not solely over The Muppets. It was a small stakes gamble that didn't pay off. But since they didn't bet the house, everyone can walk away with their jobs.

It's funny you mention that as I have been asking myself that very question. I took my youngest to one of those fancy Disney Stores the weekend before The Muppets opened. They were running Muppets-related videos on the big projection screen ever 5 minutes. There was a huge chunk of the store right next to the screen which was dedicated to Muppets merch.

As a completely unscientific observation, the stuff didn't seem to be flying off the shelf. The store had all of the plushes in stock except for Kermit. He was sold out. I checked the Disney Store website. The plushes are all available there. But at least they aren't on clearance.

Long story short, I don't know how well the merch is selling. But it's not hard to come by. That tells me it's not a runaway smash.

I'm with you.

The Muppets were a big part of my childhood. I'd love to see the Muppets be relevant again. But I'm not sure lightning can strike twice. Especially without the magic of Henson.

On the upside, the Muppets work cheap. Disney can keep using them to prop up their ABC shows and specials with minimum risk.

What this means for the parks, I don't know. But I can't see anyone looking at the box office performance of The Muppets and deciding to greenlight an expensive project based on that. If anything, I have to think the movie caused blue sky plans to go back into drawers for another day.
I agree here, without Jim Henson around The Muppets franchise will never be the same. Although the movie did well in the box office, I doubt it will cause the suits and bean counters in Orlando to spend money on attractions pertaining to them exclusively.

WDW1974

I'm with you.

Mine too. I remember watching them with my Spirited Father all the time. They weren't simply for kids. The closest thing to them today would be The Simpsons, although that show is certainly more cynical.

They do come cheap. And Disney hasn't given up on them ... yet ... or Kermit wouldn't have been on Andy and Kathy's NYE Variety and Ryan Seacrest Hate-a-Thon.

Attractions are tougher to call. On one hand, look at MuppetVision. For years, the characters were irrelevant (not irreverent!:)). But the attraction has always been fairly popular in FLA. They tossed it onto the DCA menu because it cost almost nothing, but the attraction has never been popular there ... it was about 15 years old when it opened at DCA.

BUT ... I've always said (and history proves me right) that you don't have to have a current huge synergy-based tie-in to have a great attraction. Or a successful one. Disney could greenlight a Muppets E-Ticket tomorrow (they won't but not the point) and if it's good it won't matter that the characters aren't all that popular.

Unfortunately, that's not how Disney operates.

Look, if Tron had made another $100 million you would be getting a new attraction at MK. It didn't.

Mine too. I remember watching them with my Spirited Father all the time. They weren't simply for kids. The closest thing to them today would be The Simpsons, although that show is certainly more cynical.

They do come cheap. And Disney hasn't given up on them ... yet ... or Kermit wouldn't have been on Andy and Kathy's NYE Variety and Ryan Seacrest Hate-a-Thon.

Attractions are tougher to call. On one hand, look at MuppetVision. For years, the characters were irrelevant (not irreverent!:)). But the attraction has always been fairly popular in FLA. They tossed it onto the DCA menu because it cost almost nothing, but the attraction has never been popular there ... it was about 15 years old when it opened at DCA.

BUT ... I've always said (and history proves me right) that you don't have to have a current huge synergy-based tie-in to have a great attraction. Or a successful one. Disney could greenlight a Muppets E-Ticket tomorrow (they won't but not the point) and if it's good it won't matter that the characters aren't all that popular.

Look, if Tron had made another $100 million you would be getting a new attraction at MK. It didn't.
Exactly, this is one of the many reasons why the standards and quality at the parks is shrinking.

NoChesterHester

No, it has to do with the mindset of only building attractions that tie in with a Disney franchise.

Agree, but it isnt only Disney. Universal just has the most sparkly hot franchise right now...

We are just in a different world now. IP will drive the decision because of potential cross tie in and merchandise sales.

Agree, but it isnt only Disney. Universal just has the most sparkly hot franchise right now...

We are just in a different world now. IP will drive the decision because of potential cross tie in and merchandise sales.
True, HP is definitely the hot ticket in the theme park business. The only other franchise that can compete is SW.

Bolna

Might it not be a little bit early to judge the Muppet's new film a success or failure? So far it hasn't even started in most international markets (I still have to wait more than two weeks here in Germany). The original Muppets were popular in Europe, so I can see them finding quite an audience here.

But somehow I always get the impression that Hollywood judges films only by their American box office. Which appears strange to me. As long as a film makes money, why should it matter where the money comes from? I understand that it is of no consequence if a film is a hit in Estonia, the market there is tiny. But if the big European markets are combined, there is a lot of money to be made.

Maybe, if the film is a success here they will put something Muppet related into WDS Paris? Might be a cheaper option than the rumoured Ratatouille ride (which btw is one of those films which made an awful lot of money here in Europe!).

Bolna

No, it has to do with the mindset of only building attractions that tie in with a Disney franchise.

I see that this is what the world is like now. But I still don't like all those attractions (and even whole lands) which are based on one franchise. I think the connection to just one franchise restricts the stories that can be told far too much. As much as I loved the WWoHP and expect to love Carsland because it is fun to experience something which I have seen on film in real life (especially if it is executed in such detail as WWoHP), it will always be limited by the franchise those lands came from. For example, a restaurant in Hogsmead always had to be the Three Broomsticks. What if some one had come up with a totally new idea for a wizard restaurant? I guess it always could be an addition, but people will expect the things they saw in the films (or read about in the books) to be there.

And also, why can't a theme park create the new IP that than can be used in a film? It worked with PoC - and might as well with other attractions. But that would require vision, the courage to do something new.

AEfx

Uh, no. It's not a simple matter of doubling the production costs. There are lots of factors to take into consideration many of which the public is not aware of. Hollywood accounting is very creative. I'm sure it's not a big factor for The Muppets, but just as an example, back end deals can completely screw up your basic "double the production cost" formula.

Saying "uh, no" doesn't make it untrue.

"Basic" formula or not, a film that has already made back twice what it cost BEFORE they have even gone to video, is a success.

We can argue what degree of success that is, but that's about as useful as arguing over if something is a C or D ticket. This wasn't in E-ticket, but it wasn't intended to be. No one expected it to make 400M.

It just hit 90M world wide - the highest grossing Muppet film ever. If they expected 100's of millions, that would be foolish - and when comparing films, remember this one didn't have the 3D tax on it, either.

For The Muppets, a bigger concern is the marketing costs. No one knows what Disney spent on marketing and no one at Disney is saying. But it was a big number! I have little doubt The Muppets is in the black at this point. But, it's far from a hit.

First, it's doubtful the marketing costs were as astronomical as you put forth. If you notice, Disney owned most of the places it was promoted. What costs big publicity money is generally television ads which they mostly ran on stations and networks they owned. And it's not like they paid to have the Muppets all over the talk and news shows, either. The Chew with Kermit for an hour didn't cost them a dime.

Besides the huge marketing budgets for films are generally in repeated television commercials during hit prime time shows across networks, which Muppets didn't contend with. Muppets also did QUITE a bit of social marketing (Facebook, etc.) and underground marketing (the trailers cut to make it sound like a non-Muppet movie, etc.).

The big marketing budgets you are talking about are for things like Iron Man with the Fast Food promotions and a trailer every five minutes during Prime Time on one channel or another. That's what makes up huge marketing budgets. It's doubtful they spent more than 10 or 15M, if that (and most of that was probably filling Ms. Piggy's rider for all those TV appearances on ABC shows).

There's no good formula for this. And comparisons between movies are often misleaqding (as is your comparison to Iron Man.) Expectations play a big factor. Disney expected to easily clear 100 mil with The Muppets. I'm sure their satisfied with The Muppets take. But they aren't turning cartwheels and they aren't greenlighting sequels.

You are right, there is no big formula. You take it on a film by film basis. And when you do so with the Muppets, it clearly was a successful film.

I'm not sure what you think is misleading about my Iron Man comparison, as my point was people SHOULD NOT compare it to a film like that. People seem to think in order for a film to be successful that it needs to rake in 300 or 400 M, and forget that those films that do make than generally cost that much to make. That's why, say, Superman Returns made 100's of millions but is considered a relative "failure" - cause it cost almost that much to make.

Disney will easily clear 100M with Muppets in a few months when it's on video. Even if you figure the highest end of what it could have possibly spent in promotion, say 20M (if you think they spent more than half of what the budget cost for the campaign, you'd be sorely mistaken - and I'm willing to bet by Xmas of this year the tally with Blu-ray/DVD sales will hit 120M, even doubling a 60M cost (if you put budget/marketing together).

That's a successful film, by any reasonable standard.

If The Muppets had been a hit, a sequel would have been announced by now. Like The Smurfs which was a hit.

Wait...weren't you just telling me about expectations? Smurfs cost well over $100M to make, and spent at least half that much marketing, and was in 3-D in almost half the theaters showing it, meaning the 3-D tax added quite a bit to those tickets. Yes, The Smurfs was a big success - but when you figure marketing, they probably tripled the cost, whereas the Muppets looks like it will end up doubling.

Smurfs was a big hit, but had a lot more behind it. For a movie that was effectively "the little muppet movie that could" - we did quite all right. ;)

Will we see more Muppets in the parks? Perhaps. But the box office performance of The Muppets certainly isn't going to fast track any Muppets projects in the parks.

I guess we will have to see. This is the type of film that makes a lot more money on video these days than they generally do in the theaters. And these days - where Disney makes it's money is on DVD/Blu-ray sales when you aren't talking the 100's of M mega-animated films. I think they will wait to see what happens when every family who walks in to Wal-mart sees it on the front display at the door. Like the Smurfs, it's parents who grew up with the show that directed a lot of the buying, and I have confidence it will continue to grow.

lebeau

Mine too. I remember watching them with my Spirited Father all the time. They weren't simply for kids.

Funny. The Muppet Show was about the only show I remember watching with my dad as a kid. He hated TV, but he enjoyed The Muppet Show.

Exactly. This is most likely what the future holds for the Muppets. More of this.

I think location is key to Muppetvision's success. Even non-Muppet fans will go see it because there's not a lot else to do there. Especially if you have kids who can't or won't ride the park's thrill rides.

Also, Disney doesn't replace things in Walt Disney World. :drevil:

True. They still have an attraction themed to Dinosaur. I wonder how many people ride that attraction have any idea it's based on a movie.

Exactly.

This is just how Disney operates today. It's all about the "franchises" (which Disney has a lousy track record with). And when you get right down to it, Disney's obsession with franchises really stems from a desire to sell merch. The attractions are almost like weenies to the gift shops any more.

lebeau

Might it not be a little bit early to judge the Muppet's new film a success or failure? So far it hasn't even started in most international markets (I still have to wait more than two weeks here in Germany). The original Muppets were popular in Europe, so I can see them finding quite an audience here.

But somehow I always get the impression that Hollywood judges films only by their American box office. Which appears strange to me. As long as a film makes money, why should it matter where the money comes from? I understand that it is of no consequence if a film is a hit in Estonia, the market there is tiny. But if the big European markets are combined, there is a lot of money to be made.

Maybe, if the film is a success here they will put something Muppet related into WDS Paris? Might be a cheaper option than the rumoured Ratatouille ride (which btw is one of those films which made an awful lot of money here in Europe!).

You raise a good point. International box office is becoming more and more important every year. Frankly, if it weren't for overseas box office, the Pirates franchise would probably be over. And Johnny Depp wouldn't be the A-list star he is today.

With regards to The Muppets, I don't know how many international markets it has opened in. It's possible it will do better overseas than it did here. I just know when I look at the current international numbers, they are not impressive. But maybe there are a number of significant markets left to go. That could change things.

As could home video sales.

But the picture we have right now is domestic box office. And that was soft.

lebeau

Saying "uh, no" doesn't make it untrue.

"Basic" formula or not, a film that has already made back twice what it cost BEFORE they have even gone to video, is a success.

That's simply not true. Believe what you want, but you are basing your opinion on faulty information. If you understood how these things work, you'd know it's not that simple.

I really can't think of a better way to explain it than my earlier post. You're clearly coming from an outsider perspective. But this isn't how things work. No point debating it with you. Those who know, know better.

We can argue what degree of success that is, but that's about as useful as arguing over if something is a C or D ticket. This wasn't in E-ticket, but it wasn't intended to be. No one expected it to make 400M.

Agreed. Disney would have been thrilled with 200 million. They'd have been happy with 150. A clean 100 mil domestic box office would have been seen as a base hit and potentially a good launching point for the franchise.

Less than that, while not disasterous, is viewed as disappointing.

It just hit 90M world wide - the highest grossing Muppet film ever. If they expected 100's of millions, that would be foolish - and when comparing films, remember this one didn't have the 3D tax on it, either.

Adjusted for inflation, The Muppets will not touch The Muppet Movie. So saying it's the highest grossing Muppet film ever is kind of empty.

The impact of 3-D is a bit in question these days. I think there's an argument that 3-D could have hurt The Muppets. If audiences were faced with paying 3-D prices, they might not have committed to seeing The Muppets in theaters.

Regardless, The Muppet's box office take is what it is. Bringing up 3D is kind of a moot point.

First, it's doubtful the marketing costs were as astronomical as you put forth. If you notice, Disney owned most of the places it was promoted. What costs big publicity money is generally television ads which they mostly ran on stations and networks they owned. And it's not like they paid to have the Muppets all over the talk and news shows, either. The Chew with Kermit for an hour didn't cost them a dime.

It didn't cost much. But it is using company resources. Putting Kermit and company on those shows means Disney isn't using those shows to promote something else.

But don't kid yourself. In addition to plastering The Muppets on every media outlet in the Mouse Empire, Disney shelled out some cash for advertising on channels they didn't own as well. My kids watch Nick and we were inundated with commercials for The Muppets.

The marketing costs were high relative to the production costs. We'll probably never get an exact figure, but Disney spent a pretty big chunk of change and a huge amount of company resources. They didn't get much of a return relative to that investment.

You are right, there is no big formula. You take it on a film by film basis. And when you do so with the Muppets, it clearly was a successful film.

You won't find many people in Hollywood who agree with your assessment. Perception is everything. And in Hollywood, The Muppets is perceived as a disappointment. You can argue otherwise, but it won't change the way the studios view it.

Disney will easily clear 100M with Muppets in a few months when it's on video. Even if you figure the highest end of what it could have possibly spent in promotion, say 20M (if you think they spent more than half of what the budget cost for the campaign, you'd be sorely mistaken - and I'm willing to bet by Xmas of this year the tally with Blu-ray/DVD sales will hit 120M, even doubling a 60M cost (if you put budget/marketing together).

Again, this isn't how Hollywood thinks. They want their money up front. Opening weekend. A 200 million gross stretched over a year is not remotely the same thing as a 100 million dollar opening weekend that drops quickly and ends in the same total gross.

One reason for that is that the studios are impatient. But also, the way these things are structured, the studios get their biggest cut of the pie up front. After that, more and more of the ticket sales go to the theater chains.

It's not just how much money a movie makes. It's how it makes the money.

That's a successful film, by any reasonable standard.

It's not the Hollywood standard, reasonable or otherwise.

Smurfs was a big hit, but had a lot more behind it. For a movie that was effectively "the little muppet movie that could" - we did quite all right. ;)

Quite all right isn't good enough. "The little Muppet Movie that could" is warm and fuzzy. But Disney would trade it for a Smurfs-sized hit in a heart beat.

Which is frankly short sighted. I don't think most audiences cared for The Smurfs and I have a feeling Smurfs 2 won't duplicate the success of the original. (See Alvin and the Chipmunks 3.)

I guess we will have to see. This is the type of film that makes a lot more money on video these days than they generally do in the theaters. And these days - where Disney makes it's money is on DVD/Blu-ray sales when you aren't talking the 100's of M mega-animated films. I think they will wait to see what happens when every family who walks in to Wal-mart sees it on the front display at the door. Like the Smurfs, it's parents who grew up with the show that directed a lot of the buying, and I have confidence it will continue to grow.

It's funny you bring up Wal-Mart. They have a formula to determine how prominently displayed a movie is in their stores. And that formula is based on box office performance. I'm sure The Muppets will be right up front. And I'm sure it will sell reasonably well. Many families like mine waited till video. But based on the box office performance, Wal-Mart won't be giving The Muppets the same in-store push it gave The Smurfs. And that could lead to less home video sales.

I'm pulling for The Muppets. I really am. I want the franchise to succeed as much or more than you do. But your interpretation of the box office performance, while reasonable, is not how the studios view things.

majortom1981

You raise a good point. International box office is becoming more and more important every year. Frankly, if it weren't for overseas box office, the Pirates franchise would probably be over. And Johnny Depp wouldn't be the A-list star he is today.

With regards to The Muppets, I don't know how many international markets it has opened in. It's possible it will do better overseas than it did here. I just know when I look at the current international numbers, they are not impressive. But maybe there are a number of significant markets left to go. That could change things.

As could home video sales.

But the picture we have right now is domestic box office. And that was soft.

It has not opened in MOST of Europe yet.

I was thinking osf something disney could do with the muppets for a month. Rename the tower of terror the happiness hotel (sorry i have that song on my ipod) Change some of the props and the movie to be muppet related and you have a quick refresh that can promote the muppets without much money.

JLW11Hi

Will we see more Muppets in the parks? Perhaps. But the box office performance of The Muppets certainly isn't going to fast track any Muppets projects in the parks.

Look at movies like Up, Tangled, The Incredibles and Wall-E. Those were big box office successes, and you really don't see anything of them in the parks except in meet and greets and parades. I hate to say it, but if those films don't get attractions, I doubt we'll see anything built for the Muppets, especially when they already have their own special show that has kept people entertained for over 2 decades.

WDW1974

Just setting the record straight, but those quotes attibuted to me in post 256 aren't mine, lebeau. ... I actually agree with your points (largely) and not the comments you are quoting.

Chaz

In this weeks Entertainment Weekly, they have a a wonderful cover story on the new Muppet movie. The most interesting thing to me though is a comment that (Writer/Star) Jason Segal makes near the end of it, regarding Disney execs talking to him about a new ride....has anyone heard anything that would give this more weight?

how dare you get my hopes up =(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom