AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

invader

oF44C.jpg

FigmentJedi

If I have one cryptozoological beast in a continent, and the rest of the mythical beasts in their own land, it just doesn't make sense. I'm fine scattering mythical/cryptid animals around the park evenly. It makes a good bit of sense in that they would be able to theme the areas around the mythical beast attractions to the cultures in which the beasts originated, as in Expedition Everest.

But Beastly Kingdom makes sense because it was covering all the various creatures found in European fantasy stories like dragons, unicorns, griffins, sphinxes and others. They don't really go with the other lands.

RadioHead

So Pocahontas is finally getting her own land? :ROFLOL:

I'm not a fan of how everything has to be from a "property". I have to agree with the poster who said this fills more Six Flagsy or Universal-like than Disney. No doubt this will bring some in $$$, but that it just seems so... wrong. Oh well.

How? Am I even watching the same film as everyone else?

Christ, if I didn't know any better I would've thought that Disney was building a Twilight inspired land.

I get that some of you aren't fans of Avatar, but look at the potential of the type of land it can be. If anything it'll be one of the most beautifully themed lands in all of Disney-dom.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
An entire land is about to be built for $400 million?

Really?

Little Mermaid was $100 million. That's one single, very simple ride.

You're getting all worked up over something that will never happen.

$400 million from WDW today will get you one ride, one shop, one attraction.

Don't set yourselves up for the heartbreak people.
Potter came in around half that. For the whole land.

Disney have learnt they can't do things by half. Space Mountain was the lesson underlined for them in that respect.

stitchcastle

The second film takes place on the moon of pandora, so you'll see a new set which will probably play a role in the land. The 3rd film is also set in a new location as well.

Also tell me you wouldn't want a land that looks like this?

Pandora has the potential of looking a billion times more beautiful than Harry Potter can EVER DREAM to be. The alien atmosphere is breathtaking, and inspiring. Again, if they can do Pandora justice.

For people who are second guessing Avatar's staying power. Let's not forget the 2 following movies are the only the films PLANNED. No doubt will there be a second trilogy if the 2nd, and 3rd films suceceed.

Also on top of that there's an animated series, as well a fox show in the pipeline as well.

This will have much more staying power if you ask me.

I don't know about you but all I see is a bunch of pretty trees and rivers, something that's already in Animal Kingdom. I highly doubt they'll invent a floating mountain for this land.

oh and FYI, the first movie was set on one of Pandora's moons, Pandora the planet itself is a gas giant.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
How? Am I even watching the same film as everyone else?

Christ, if I didn't know any better I would've thought that Disney was building a Twilight inspired land.

I get that some of you aren't fans of Avatar, but look at the potential of the type of land it can be. If anything it'll be one of the most beautifully themed lands in all of Disney-dom.

They're not seeing that. They either don't like the movie (whether or not they like Potter), or they don't understand the possibilities that Disney has to expand Avatar and vice versa.

James Cameron insisted on no previews on his blu-ray release of the movie...he doesn't exactly do things halfway.

invader

Potter came in around half that. For the whole land.

Disney have learnt they can't do things by half. Space Mountain was the lesson underlined for them in that respect.

You have to remember, Potter only added a ride two shops, and a restaurant. Everything else was already existing.

stitchcastle

yeah a bunch of fancified trees are gonna be so much more beautifully themed than, I dunno a complete replica of Porto Paradiso in front of a giant man made volcano with a fortress at its base.

aladdin2007

After seeing those images above, this will be a new version of Beastly Kingdom I would think. Its def the mythical/fantasy realm of things. Wow 27 some pages already, sheesh, cant begin to read all the posts but while I think this could be amazing, its not Disney to me. Like one of the above posts said its Iger cashing in and shoehorning more non disney franchise into the parks, instead of original stories. I guess it depends how one looks at it. One thing for sure TDO must be shaking in their booties, since this is coming from the top overriding anything they say. Which is another good thing. While I would have rather of seen Disney Sea attractions brought to AK, maybe Avatar willl use some of that technology. Would love to see this done Journey to the Center of the Earth style, instead of just some coaster or 3D thing. JTCoftheE, is an amazing physically created mega dark ride/coaster.

stitchcastle

The first movie was a big success, the property is popular.

Even if the fad of 3D passes, it won't change the popularity of the first movie or the IP.

what popularity? Find 5 non-cinephile people within your immediate vicinity that can name at least 3 main characters from the movie, and then tell me that it's popular.

RadioHead

I don't know about you but all I see is a bunch of pretty trees and rivers, something that's already in Animal Kingdom. I highly doubt they'll invent a floating mountain for this land.

oh and FYI, the first movie was set on one of Pandora's moons, Pandora the planet itself is a gas giant.

Yes it's a bunch of pretty trees and rivers, but to me I see disney approaching a very unique alien esq atmosphere. It'll be as if we've been transported into another world. They can create elaborate abstract trees and plants and whatnot. They really have no limit as to what they can do with the land scape.

Plus this will give a huge reason as to why it should be open late.

Imagine this landscape, fluorescent, and glowing. Wow.

But that's just me. I understand where your coming from though....

cynic710

not to mention potter has 7 movies, 34561561 books and been around for over a decade now....avatar has one movie ( though an old story), which did very well in the theater, well enough to be the highest grossing movie of all time.

the difference i see with potter vs. avatar is that avatar has the advantage of being a world set apart, which disney works well with as a canvas, potter on the other hand is somewhere in england...the imagineers will have a field day with this.

RadioHead

what popularity? Find 5 non-cinephile people within your immediate vicinity that can name at least 3 main characters from the movie, and then tell me that it's popular.

It's more in the line of the fact it generated 2.8 billion dollars. Sure the characters are memorable, and neither is the plot. But the audience loved Avatar because of Pandora, and it's incredible atmosphere. The film felt organic, and alive in some aspects. That's why my family, and quite a few of my friends went to see Avatar 3-4 times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom