AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

sanctumsolitude

*blink* *blink*

Did not see that one coming. I actually just watched Avatar over the weekend. I like the movie and I can definitely see where the environment could be something really special (espcially at night... fiber optics everywhere?).

With that being said, I hope Animal Kingdom doesn't move too far from reality.

tomman710

BULLET POINT TWO CENTS:

1. AVATAR one of the worst movies in the past decade, bested only by Transformers. Old story, bad writing, poorly realized characters, etc etc ...

2. Expansion in the park, any expansion is good ... terrible movie doesn't mean it won't make a good attraction.

3. Confusion over what iconic places or experiences people will want to have from Pandora? As opposed to HP or SW who has so many locations, experiences, or tie in restaurants (i.e. Cantina, etc ..) I can see AVATAR making a great ride but don't get a whole land?

4. To continue with point 3 ... confusion over why AVATAR and not an existing property with staying power or opportunities for multiple experiences.

No one can argue or tell me that if a Star Wars Land announcement was made it wouldn't have been met with more enthusiasm than this?

Thrill

I really did not except as much negativity as is coming out right now. If WDW was giving away free gold bars I guess many on this site would be complaining about how heave they are, why is there not a monorail to carry them to my car, or why could they not just give a butterbeer instead (because I am just going to sell my gold and go to Universal anyway). Last week Disney was too cheap to do anything at all and how they are spending millions but spending on a addition based on the wrong movie. Let’s wait and see what this is all going to be about.

I agree. I feel like people are being negative for the sake of being negative. Granted, given that we have no clue what is here in terms of content, it's not easy to be positive, but they are doing something. I'd imagine that James Cameron is a high quality control type person, and so it's hard to expect that this can be bad. Could better additions be made? That's subjective, and there are things that I'd rather see, but one question to ask is whether or not there is a better addition for Animal Kingdom. Most would say Beastly Kingdomme is better, but I'd argue that, with the placement of Everest, Beastly Kingdomme is dead.

I'm not crazy about Avatar (It was good, but not $2.5 billion grossing good.), but I'll try to stay relatively positive until we get more details.

No one can argue or tell me that if a Star Wars Land announcement was made it wouldn't have been met with more enthusiasm than this?

I would only be slightly more happy with a Star Wars land announcement. Reason being, Star Wars would inevitably go to DHS. Granted, DHS could use some additions, but it's not as desperate for new attractions as Animal Kingdom. I like Star Wars a lot more than Avatar (as I already said, I think Avatar is heavily overrated), but Pandora could be a beautiful addition to Animal Kingdom, and it's never been done before in a theme park environment.

Placement is everything. If this Avatar land were in DHS, I would not be nearly as happy. But almost any Animal Kingdom addition is good at this point. As long as it's not Twilight or Hannah Montana, or something like that. XD

It fits because they originally had AK designed with a fantasy animal section (like dragons and the like), but they ran out of money at that point. Now they are basically doing it, but with more modern fantasy creatures (though, dragons are much cooler).

Oh, ok that makes a bit more sense now. I thought it was an alien, sci-fi kind of movie, not a "fantasy" movie. Still doesn't interest me, but makes more sense.

stitchcastle

goes to show how interesting Avatar is that this thread has become about The Lion King.

There has barely even been any excited speculation on what specific rides or shops there are gonna be. Funny that just one person in the entire thread knew the proper name of the "dragon" things in the movie.

Thessair

Lion King was rereleased in IMAX less than 10 years ago, so lets not act like it hasn't seen the light of day since 1994.

Considering the fact that the Blu Ray is coming out in just weeks, it's even more impressive. Why spend $11+ on the movie when you can pay $19 for the Blu Ray in a week or two?

Because 9 years ago was not exactly yesterday? Because unless your TV is at least 20' wide you'll never equal the experience of seeing a classic in the theater? Plenty of parents I know with 6 and 7 year old kids were happy to be able to show it to them on the big screen. I own it, but I'd still much rather see it in its full glory.

RadioHead

This is becoming a tad bit irritating.

I get not liking the movie, hell I'm not the biggest fan either. But I'm just glad we can expect at least a new E ticket, and a smaller C ticket attraction to boot.

People are countering that Avatar has nothing to do with the Animal Kingdom which makes me :brick:

Seriously? Do people actually watch films, and watch themes they are portraying, or do they only see tall blue people fighting with mechs? There's a deep theme of conservation, and yes, it's basically Pochantas in the future. So I'm really not understanding the "It has nothing to do with Animal Kingdom" when it does in fact have a great lot to do with the Animal Kingdom, at least as much as Beastly Kingdom does.

Plus, love or hate the movie, you have to admit that the atmosphere on Pandora is absolutly stunning. The POTENTIAL for what Rhoes, and the Imaginners can do with (assuming the budget is there) is crazy.

Animal Kingdom is already the best themed park hands down, and if they do Pandora justice then watch the hell out.

Atomicmickey

NOW HIRING

Cast members/face characters for AVATAR LAND

Requirements:
-blue
-only 15 feet or taller need apply
-no body fat
-must be comfortable working in a thong and beads
-accustomed to our atmosphere (no masks!)
-non-hostile to humans dropping half-melted Mickey bars on your planet

ALSO

-I wonder, are they going to bulldoze any plants to make room for Pandora?:lol:

Avenger117

I haven't been on the boards in awhile but had to come see what everyone thought of this news.

I think this could be a really good addition. I know a lot of people were not fans of the story, but if you look at the setting and characters it could really make for a great themed land. You can do a lot with all the things that exist in that environment.

blueboxdoctor

Lion King was rereleased in IMAX less than 10 years ago, so lets not act like it hasn't seen the light of day since 1994.

Considering the fact that the Blu Ray is coming out in just weeks, it's even more impressive. Why spend $11+ on the movie when you can pay $19 for the Blu Ray in a week or two?

the big question here is where does one buy a blu-ray for $19? Seriously, especially since disney puts the standard dvd (lol, i love how they say it's ok to ruin that disc) and a digital copy, which is nice but jacks up the price.

CastleBound

Wow, I a extremely excited to hear this news! Avatar was a huge movie whether everyone liked it or not. Not everyone liked Harry Potter, but that addition seems to be doing well.

I can't wait to ride Soarin' Through Pandora! I'd imagine that they would create a Banshee flying ride. Seems like the most logical idea. I'm sure they would incorporate 3D somehow. who knows, they may even create something that we have no knowledge about yet, as the next two movies will surely have new adventures. This is definitely going to be an exciting couple of years. Hopefully all the haters realize this is going to blow away Potter.

bferrara16

I don't want to go too far off topic here, so I'll just reply once more... (although 3D theater success is relevant here as it applies to the upcoming sequels)

The kids that fell in love with the movie when it was released in 1994 are now the mothers and fathers that are looking to do something with their young children. Any popular re-release, whether 2D or 3D, when pitted against the movie choices that are out there would top the box office. Not everyone snatches up the blurays/dvds when they come out, and some people like the event of going to the movies.

Tigger1988

the big question here is where does one buy a blu-ray for $19? Seriously, especially since disney puts the standard dvd (lol, i love how they say it's ok to ruin that disc) and a digital copy, which is nice but jacks up the price.

Best Buy was selling $19 3 disc Blu Rays (BR, DVD, digital copy) for new releases today. Typically if you buy the first week sales are everywhere.

Mad Stitch

This thread is growing faster than I can read it!
Dear god no! I think I’m most upset that Beastly Kingdom will never become a reality now, seeing we always assumed it would be the first big expansion of the park and this will now take its budget and spot in Camp Minnie Mickey.

stitchcastle

BULLET POINT TWO CENTS:

1. AVATAR one of the worst movies in the past decade, bested only by Transformers. Old story, bad writing, poorly realized characters, etc etc ...

2. Expansion in the park, any expansion is good ... terrible movie doesn't mean it won't make a good attraction.

3. Confusion over what iconic places or experiences people will want to have from Pandora? As opposed to HP or SW who has so many locations, experiences, or tie in restaurants (i.e. Cantina, etc ..) I can see AVATAR making a great ride but don't get a whole land?

4. To continue with point 3 ... confusion over why AVATAR and not an existing property with staying power or opportunities for multiple experiences.

I agree with all of this but building off of point 2. What kind of "fans" are we that we're settling for an expansion just because any expansion is good?

Alison1975

This sums it up for me. I thought Avatar was boring and overrated. I won't consider seeing any sequel. Yet I am anxious to see what imagineers can come up with to bring that world to life. Avatarland has the potential to be a real crowd pleaser.

Yep..didn't care for the movie.. was the same ole story retold..again.. but the potential for this land is amazing and i am super excited!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom