When do visa reward points expire?

pajammies

Original Poster
I got an offer in the mail for 200 reward dollars after first use of the Visa card. After I see the points on my statement, how long before they expire?

Also, once I get the gift card in the mail does that have an expiration.

I'm thinking about getting the visa for the $200 gift card but don't know when we will be going.

Thank you:wave:

love disney

According to their website:

"Disney Dream Reward Dollars transferred onto a Disney Rewards® Redemption Card expire on the expiration date printed on the rewards card. Disney Dream Reward Dollars in your Disney Rewards® account will expire 5 years from the date they are earned (and posted to your account). Check your monthly credit card statement for more information on when your rewards will expire"

Also, you won't actually get the $200 just for signing up, they aren't rewarded until after you make your first purchase. You should also note that it will take at least one month before you are actually given the $200 reward bonus. The good thing is that you don't actually have to get a reward card from them, you can go to Downtown Disney (and I am sure some other places) and get one, then call the number on your credit card and they can place all your reward dollars straight to the gift card you picked up. If you request one from the credit card company it takes weeks if not a couple of months.

pluto77

Does that initial offer say you'll get a $200 gift card after the first use or $200 worth of points. If It's a gift card (which was the offer me and my sister got) then I don't think that card ever expires. If it does, it goes by a different set of rules than the normal card. If its points, then I believe they expire after 5 years (like normal) if not longer. Just don't transfer them to the rewards card until you're close to ready to use them because once you transfer them over they expire when the card expires which is like a year or less.

sbkline

We went to WDW in April last year, and I received the same $200 offer to open a Disney Visa card, probably in February. Possibly early March, I can't remember. I just know I took advantage of the offer in time to have my card to take with me on our April trip, and I had the 200 points on my account when we went. We did Downtown Disney on the day we arrived and I just went to some place there and got a blank card. I then had to call the 800 number to claim my points and have them put on that card so that I could have some free spending money for that trip. I had charged around 400 bucks or so as of that time, because I actually had 204 rewards points available, which I redeemed onto that gift card and used on souveniers on our trip.

And they expire in 5 years. After redeeming my points in April 2010, the points that I accumulated on the next billing cycle are set to expire at some point in 2015 (I can't remember the month right off hand). So those points will expire in whatever month in 2015, the next set of points, from the following billing cycle will expire the following month, and so on.

pajammies

Original Poster
Does that initial offer say you'll get a $200 gift card after the first use or $200 worth of points. If It's a gift card (which was the offer me and my sister got) then I don't think that card ever expires. If it does, it goes by a different set of rules than the normal card. If its points, then I believe they expire after 5 years (like normal) if not longer. Just don't transfer them to the rewards card until you're close to ready to use them because once you transfer them over they expire when the card expires which is like a year or less.

It says "receive enough Disney dream reward dollars for a $200 Disney gift card after first use of the credit card"

So am I right to assume then, that the reward dollars are the points that you then turn into a gift card?

Are you also saying that if I transfer my reward dollars (points) into a gift card that that will expire after a year?
I'm not sure I'm understanding the process correctly.

pajammies

Original Poster
We went to WDW in April last year, and I received the same $200 offer to open a Disney Visa card, probably in February. Possibly early March, I can't remember. I just know I took advantage of the offer in time to have my card to take with me on our April trip, and I had the 200 points on my account when we went. We did Downtown Disney on the day we arrived and I just went to some place there and got a blank card. I then had to call the 800 number to claim my points and have them put on that card so that I could have some free spending money for that trip. I had charged around 400 bucks or so as of that time, because I actually had 204 rewards points available, which I redeemed onto that gift card and used on souveniers on our trip.

And they expire in 5 years. After redeeming my points in April 2010, the points that I accumulated on the next billing cycle are set to expire at some point in 2015 (I can't remember the month right off hand). So those points will expire in whatever month in 2015, the next set of points, from the following billing cycle will expire the following month, and so on.
I have seen this mentioned a couple times on the boards but here is a dumb question, do get this card activated at the counter or do you just take it off the rack and call the number to get it "activated" with the points you are about to turn into dollars?
Did that make sense to you, not sure I worded that great.:brick:

dreamfinder

It says "receive enough Disney dream reward dollars for a $200 Disney gift card after first use of the credit card"

So am I right to assume then, that the reward dollars are the points that you then turn into a gift card?

Yes. You turn rewards points into dollars that get loaded onto a rewards card. You have 5 years from accumulating the points, to load them onto a rewards card or you lose them. So once you get those $200 points, you can turn them into $200 to use at Disney.

Are you also saying that if I transfer my reward dollars (points) into a gift card that that will expire after a year?
I'm not sure I'm understanding the process correctly.

Its a rewards card, not a gift card. Basically the same thing, but the rewards card actually has a full 16 digit credit card number on it.

And they expire in at least a year. My understanding is that all the cards expire in Dec. And they make sure you get at least a year on the card, so any card you get in 2011 will expire Dec 2012. It would be good for 22 months if you got it now, but only 13 if you waited until November.

Does that help any?

pajammies

Original Poster
Yes. You turn rewards points into dollars that get loaded onto a rewards card. You have 5 years from accumulating the points, to load them onto a rewards card or you lose them. So once you get those $200 points, you can turn them into $200 to use at Disney.

Its a rewards card, not a gift card. Basically the same thing, but the rewards card actually has a full 16 digit credit card number on it.

And they expire in at least a year. My understanding is that all the cards expire in Dec. And they make sure you get at least a year on the card, so any card you get in 2011 will expire Dec 2012. It would be good for 22 months if you got it now, but only 13 if you waited until November.

Does that help any?

Yup, I got it now, thank you.

timeman

The reward points expire five years from the statement date they were accrued in. The Disney Rewards Redemption Card that you transfer it to does expire in December of the following year of when you get it. You can transfer the points to that card at anytime when you decide you want to use your points. You don't have to get the Rewards Redemption card until you want to transfer the points over. I got mine last year and it took less than two weeks for me to receive it in the mail.

I did the 200 reward points last year when I got it and you will see the points after your first purchase on your statement.

sbkline

I have seen this mentioned a couple times on the boards but here is a dumb question, do get this card activated at the counter or do you just take it off the rack and call the number to get it "activated" with the points you are about to turn into dollars?
Did that make sense to you, not sure I worded that great.:brick:

They give you a blank card at the counter and then you call the 800 number on back to have your points put on it. There are two places at DTD where you can get this card. I was happy to find that out, because we were eating lunch at T-Rex and then browsing the stores in that area and I didn't want to have to backtrack all the way to the other side (over by DisneyQuest) to get the card. Turns out that there is another place over in the viscinity of Rainforest Cafe (I can't remember exactly where, just in that general part of DTD) where you can get a card also. I told them what I wanted, they gave me the card, then I went outside and got on my cell phone and called and claimed my points and in a matter of minutes, my points were loaded on my card and I used it for some shopping at DTD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom