Studio Backlot Tour closing for refurbishment in January 2011

redkoala245

I guess January is not a great month to go to DHS because BT, Honey I Shrunk the Kids and Playhouse Disney Live on Stage will be closed.
Too bad BT will be closed during my February Trip… :( Oh well…
That ride needs to go.

RonAnnArbor

For years, the scuttlebutt has been that Catastrophe Canyon is being torn out and the new Pixarland will go into that area. They have already done the dryrun for this in Disney Studios Paris, and unless they make huge changes to it, I don't see it coming to DHS in the near future. The rides are interesting and eye-catching -- they are also extremely low capacity with 70-90 minute waits even on empty park days. Unless they seriously rethink the whole thing, I don't see this coming to pass anytime soon.

This particular closing is most likely just plain old maintenance -- a bit of paint, repairs on the trams themselves (they have multiple breakdowns a day), repair of the water cannons that don't work in the tank, etc. I wouldn't expect any changes to the Pearl Harbor themeing, nor anything else.

rsoxguy

I've got ten bucks to start a collection in order to donate this gift for the Backlot Tour "refurb". Any additional donations can be sent to imsickofmediocrity.com.

Bulldozer.jpg

preludevtec01

Backlot Tour was so much better years ago. So outdated. Last September the "Earthquake" didn't even shake the tram. I hope they keep it closed and build something else!!

RAXIP

I think they close these rides down to save on labor hours during the "slower months". Each park has certain low capacity attractions go down for "refurbishment" they usually return just before Easter. Sure, they'll do some routine clean up. But it's not truely a refurb.

Last year's closure included a complete refurbishment of Catastrophe Canyon.

I guess January is not a great month to go to DHS because BT, Honey I Shrunk the Kids and Playhouse Disney Live on Stage will be closed.
Too bad BT will be closed during my February Trip… :( Oh well…
That ride needs to go.

Backlot Tour & HISTK open 1/30/11 and PHD closes that day.

BrerFrog

I am disappointed that the closing is so short. There is just not enough time to do any significant work within a month. At least not significant enough to make this attraction relevant once again.

For years, the scuttlebutt has been that Catastrophe Canyon is being torn out and the new Pixarland will go into that area. They have already done the dryrun for this in Disney Studios Paris, and unless they make huge changes to it, I don't see it coming to DHS in the near future. The rides are interesting and eye-catching -- they are also extremely low capacity with 70-90 minute waits even on empty park days. Unless they seriously rethink the whole thing, I don't see this coming to pass anytime soon.

No. Pixar Place is totally different from Toy Story Playland at Walt Disney Studios in Paris. An expansion would bring more Pixar characters, not more toys.

Right? :veryconfu

Tom

Beta Return
they seem to close backlot tour every january, it was closed last jan and i'm pretty sure it closed in 2007 in jan as well, i assume it is to do yearly maintance work work on pearl harbour stuff and catastophe canyon.

If it closed in January 2010, it must have been after the marathon. We were there the first full week of January and it was open. However, all they did during the water effects portion was shoot off a couple water canons and ignite the fireballs SEVERAL times. It was during that freak record cold spell, so they didn't make anyone get wet. The heat from the fire was extremely nice.

I'm glad it will re-open the day we arrive this time. I don't know how else we'll kill that hour in DHS.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

This particular closing is most likely just plain old maintenance -- a bit of paint, repairs on the trams themselves (they have multiple breakdowns a day), repair of the water cannons that don't work in the tank, etc. I wouldn't expect any changes to the Pearl Harbor themeing, nor anything else.

Not sure why that's a dry run for anything. Cat Can is still there at DSP -- Toy Story Playland didn't replace it. I do agree that the attractions at TSP would not be an adequate replacement for anything because, well, they are lame. The land is visually appealling. But that's off topic. None of the rumored expanstions of Pixar Place would have it be anything like TSP

No. Pixar Place is totally different from Toy Story Playland at Walt Disney Studios in Paris. An expansion would bring more Pixar characters, not more toys.

Right? :veryconfu

Agreed. TSP is rumored to be cloned in some way for the Hong Kong expansion, thought they will hopefully find some more compelling attractions while keeping the visual themeing.

adaml212

I really don't want to see the Backlot Tour and HISTK sacrificed in favor of a Pixar expansion. Yes, the Backlot tour is in a very sad state right now, but getting rid of another original attraction in favor of more Disney / Pixar character themed attractions gets me upset more. Isn't Pixar and other Disney film characters overtaking Walt Disney World enough? I would much rather see the Backlot tour be MAJORLY reworked into a better "behind the scenes of making movies" attraction. Maybe even making it more like the Universal Studios Hollywood tram ride. I don't know. I don't have any ideas myself, but making Pixar attractions/overlays can't be the only answer.

I like the "studio lot" feel of the back part of the park. Expanding Pixar Place all the way to the Streets of America eliminates a good chunk of that. No Carsland. (I bet Test Track will probably look pathetic once the Cars attraction opens in Disneyland. No?)

We need more original non-Disney/Pixar character driven attractions. I can't be the only one that wants this instead.

Studios Fan

The Pixar expansion is supposed to be a gradual expansion anyways. Monsters would be first and then other stuff would come later. Unfortunately because BLT is such a people eater they aren't going to get rid of it until they have to.

Studios Fan

I've got ten bucks to start a collection in order to donate this gift for the Backlot Tour "refurb". Any additional donations can be sent to imsickofmediocrity.com.

Bulldozer.jpg

I think it would a great D23 experience. You would start the bulldozer at the entrance at Backlot Tour bulldoze it and then bulldoze LMA. It would be a "once in a lifetime experience." :lol:

RSoxNo1

Back in February I had what I deemed my last trip on the Backlot Tour. They weren't running Harbor Attack as a full demonstration, and then the vehicle that went out before us was the last one that went through Catastrophe Canyon because it started raining. We wasted over an hour to drive slowly in a circle.

I say this as pure speculation: They could be doing some prep work for the Monster's Inc Coaster. I think if we see walls that block off the passage way between the two areas this is the likeliest scenario. Having said that, I'm not sure what can be done substantial in 3 1/2 weeks.

Here's an aerial of the area:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=28.3553515&lon=-81.5605849&z=19&l=0&m=b

RSoxNo1

Back in February I had what I deemed my last trip on the Backlot Tour. They weren't running Harbor Attack as a full demonstration, and then the vehicle that went out before us was the last one that went through Catastrophe Canyon because it started raining. We wasted over an hour to drive slowly in a circle.

I say this as pure speculation: Closing the Backlot and Honey I Shrunk the Audience at the same time is somewhat strange. They could be doing some prep work for the Monster's Inc Coaster. I think if we see walls that block off the passage way between the two areas this is the likeliest scenario. Having said that, I'm not sure what can be done substantial in 3 1/2 weeks.

Here's an aerial of the area:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=28.3553515&lon=-81.5605849&z=19&l=0&m=b

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom