What I think...as of today...for now...

RSoxNo1

I understand the backlash against the "circus" theming, but hear me out.

We keep discussing "richly themed" areas. Why can't the Dumbo's Circus area be amazingly themed as a circus? Why is a forest, or European village, exclusive on "richly themed?"

We all have memories from our childhood about the circus, or the traveling carnival that stopped at our local fairgrounds. I have some magical memories of that as a child. Looking back as an adult most were dirty, dingy, and cheap... and I believe that is what is inducing the bad reaction from some. I remember when I was six I didn't see that. It was fun, and crazy, and loud, and amazing.

What if they were able to recreate the whimsy of how you viewed the circus as a little kid? Just look at the Dumbo concept art for a minute. It is richly themed. Could be truly amazing, and very different from any circus that I have ever seen in person. What if it was circus done right, only the way Disney could do it?

I've made this argument before, from a ride standpoint, it doesn't really matter what something is themed to as long it's well themed. Sure, some environments lend themselves to theming better than others, but the point is well taken. However, from a merchandise standpoint, it's safer to go with existing franchises or concepts.

For those of you crying over the lose of SWSA know this:

Walt & Roy Disney, the imagineers, and the original park planners never wanted a copy of Snow White's Scary adventure in the first place. Originally they were going to build a Sleeping Beauty dark ride instead. I guess the reason MK ended up with Snow White (and Mr.Toad & Peter Pan) is because the Florida project was going way over budget and they simply were running out of money forcing them to just clone existing attractions rather than creating something new from the ground up. By removing SWSA and building a new Snow White ride it would be correcting an almost 40 year old mistake. Walt & Roy would probably approve of this decision.

I personally would be really on board with this new version of Fantasyland if the current Snow White Scary Adventure is replaced with another dark ride (Jim Hill claims a beauty & the beast dark ride was planned which would have been cool).

I would expect that if the SWSA area is replaced with a new ride at some point that it would not be for Beauty and the Beast because it's too far away from the Be Our Guest Restaurant, Enchanted Tales with Belle and Gaston's Tavern

Nope. For all I know it's a full-on coaster with a lift hill and some drops.
It's supposedly mine-themed and has been described as both a coaster and "mine car ride.". I also seem to recall hearing it wad not individual cars, but a train of them.

A train makes it sound like this is going to have a pretty large capacity? I assume substantially more than the Dark Ride? Perhaps in the 1500-2000 an hour range?

Not that I'm aware.
The plans are still there...waiting...

Is there a similar "plan of attack" to what was in place when Islands of Adventure first opened?

jt04

Yeah....go ahead and write them a check for...oh...a hundred million or so and I'm sure they'll get right on it.

I think that is about right. I think they could do all that for the cost of one Tower of Terror. Seems doable to me. Especially if they "repurposed" the Monster coaster budget. ST2 can carry DHS for a few years.

Grizzly Hall 71

Well, the complaints only got perpetuated cause you keep arguing with us! You can't have your say and then complain when people disagree with you and ask us to stop talking. So if you go back to your promised retirement we will drop it!

And the discussion WAS relevent initially to the thread because people were saying young children no longer knew the classics. I stated that this was because Disney Channel no longer showed them. You were the one that caused the drift by arguing about my opinion of the Disney channel. And you might have all your "classic Walt's", but how is the next generation supposed to know about them if they never show them?

And you don't have ALL of the classic Walt's (unless you have old VHS tapes taped off of TV) because at LEAST 95 percent of the Disneyland/Walt Disney Presents/Wonderful World Of Color/Wonderful World Of Disney episodes (the longest running show in the history of TV that ran for 30 YEARS! are NOT available on home video!

And that's why we want them on TV, Brett!

1. I do have them. VHS, DVD, Blu ray. You name it.
2. If your so concerned about the new generation buy it for them. Or better go to Disney Channel headquarter and make them play the movies.
3. Once again take it easy, there just movies and a TV channel that you don't own.

Tom

Beta Return
Sorry about your thread, Lee. It started out awesome, with your excellent hypothesis and further description of what might be coming to WDW. Now, it's an argument about how awful the Disney Channel is and now many kids have seen Dumbo.

Back on topic, thank you for this thread. Even if it doesn't end up being 100% accurate once they make their final decisions, it's great to think about for now.

The one thing I really wonder is why they would put two mine train coasters, or even just attractions, in the same park? While BTMR and the possible SW coaster will obviously have different stories, having them both be mine train coasters seems awfully....repetitive.

One might argue that EE is just another BTMR, since it's a train coaster, but they're in different parks and EE is specifically a tea train on Mount Everest. If they follow the path you're describing, we'd literally have two mine train coasters in the same park.

At the same time, I think something like this would be a MUCH better use of the Cindy area, but it's definitely going to be a challenge to make it fit with the surroundings and to not compromise sight lines. They won't have the luxury of a "backstage" area like they do with essentially every other attraction in the park.

And if we're going to lose Toon Town (which is a much needed demolition project, IMO), I don't see a problem with replacing it with something equally silly and fanciful, like a circus. Dumbo fits perfectly, and so does Casey Jr. Throw in a few more tents (that are built a tad bit better than the "temporary" ones of TT) and the characters will have their MnG homes back eventually. And heck, a circus themed TT RR station wouldn't offend me.

I don't agree with Jim Hill's theory at all regarding the widening of the LS/FL transition tunnel under Columbia Harbor House. Except for the rare occasions when the park is at capacity, it has worked fine for almost 40 years. Unlike the old TL skyway station - which actually looked like an abandoned ride - the FL station fits the Bavarian theming of that area very well, and also provides a much needed screen blocking views of the HM and IASW show buildings. A little retrofitting and they could make a really nice MnG out of that area.

I look forward to reading any updates you might have, Lee - and I'll anxiously await an official announcement by Disney...whatever it may be.

TP2000

They should be. This has major E ticket potential. I'm talking right up there with PotC and HM. The complex could include the mine ride, an Aurora walk-through also at utilidor level, above ground the Aurora mill/m&g, the BBB store, and a Cindy m&g in the chateau. That would equal potter swatter by my amateur "outside looking in" estimation.

And then they still have the old SWSA to repurpose. Faints. :dazzle:

You could say that about any part of the Magic Kingdom, since it has so much unused space and vacant land surrounding the existing, and relatively lightly developed, areas. They could turn Magic Kingdom into the most amazing, attractions-dense, cutting-edge theme park on the planet. It's fun to dream.

But, what we are talking about back here in realityland are the two Princess Meet N' Greets in the middle of FLE getting the axe and that land being turned into a junior coaster themed to a Seven Dwarves mine car ride.

Was that enough smelling salts for you? Or do you want another whiff and we can talk about Dumboland going in next door? :animwink:

jt04

You could say that about any part of the Magic Kingdom, since it has so much unused space and vacant land surrounding the existing, and relatively lightly developed, areas. They could turn Magic Kingdom into the most amazing, attractions-dense, cutting-edge theme park on the planet. It's fun to dream.

But, what we are talking about back here in realityland are the two Princess Meet N' Greets in the middle of FLE getting the axe and that land being turned into a junior coaster themed to a Seven Dwarves mine car ride.

Was that enough smelling salts for you? Or do you want another whiff and we can talk about Dumboland going in next door? :animwink:

I don't agree. The artwork has always wowed me and I have always thought they were holding stuff back (as Staggs admitted) just by examiming those paintings. This scenario fits the artwork and the rumor mill perfectly. The only thing I made up completely is the Aurora walkthrough from DL and the BBB. Everything else seems very possible.

David S.

YouTube? I'm sure on Ebay right now you can find these movies. Even Song of The South.

Take it easy dude, there just movies.

You're the one that needs to take it easy. You caused this thread to drift by arguing about the Disney channel, when I had brought it up simply to illustrate why young people didn't know the classics (which was being discussed in the thread)

And as I stated, I am not just talking about the movies. I am talking about the nearly 1,000 episodes of the weekly Disney anthology series that ran for 30 years, and which was shown on Disney channel on Vault Disney. The vast majority of these Timeless shows are NOT available on Home Video or You Tube.

PS. If you changed you mind about "retiring", then update your signature!

Grizzly Hall 71

You're the one that needs to take it easy. You caused this thread to drift by arguing about the Disney channel, when I had brought it up simply to illustrate why young people didn't know the classics (which was being discussed in the thread)

And as I stated, I am not just talking about the movies. I am talking about the nearly 1,000 episodes of the weekly Disney anthology series that ran for 30 years, and which was shown on Disney channel on Vault Disney. The vast majority of these Timeless shows are NOT available on Home Video or You Tube.

PS. If you changed you mind about "retiring", then update your signature!

Well you went along with my so called "thread drift" right? So your just as guilty. The thread was never about how many kids have seen Dumbo (which you started) so really you started it but it doesn't matter. Okay so there not available. Fine cool. I don't see why your so upset about the new generation now knowing about those classic show? Why may I ask? If they really wanted to know (like I did) they would research an order tapes off line an watch some on YouTube. Once again if your so concerned, you go to DC headquarters and complain. But for now they aren't going to come on now. So just enjoy (or hate) what is currently showed. One person won't break DC's spirit.

TP2000

I don't agree. The artwork has always wowed me and I have always thought they were holding stuff back (as Staggs admitted) just by examiming those paintings. This scenario fits the artwork and the rumor mill perfectly. The only thing I made up completely is the Aurora walkthrough from DL and the BBB. Everything else seems very possible.

The artwork was great.

I just worry that you are setting yourself up for heartbreak when some TDO cubicle drone is given the approval next month to post the schmoozy announcement on the Disney Parks Blog that the Meet N' Greet complex has been cancelled and replaced with a mine coaster, while BatB, Mermaid and Dumboland move forward as planned.

It is what it is; two Princess Meet N' Greets are being replaced with a Seven Dwarves mine ride, and Pixie Hollow is in the deep freeze.

Tigger1988

Well you went along with my so called "thread drift" right? So your just as guilty. The thread was never about how many kids have seen Dumbo (which you started) so really you started it but it doesn't matter. Okay so there not available. Fine cool. I don't see why your so upset about the new generation now knowing about those classic show? Why may I ask? If they really wanted to know (like I did) they would research an order tapes off line an watch some on YouTube. Once again if your so concerned, you go to DC headquarters and complain. But for now they aren't going to come on now. So just enjoy (or hate) what is currently showed. One person won't break DC's spirit.

For the love of God go away, you've been told this isn't the thread for this. Take it to PMs if this is so serious to discuss.

David S.

Well you went along with my so called "thread drift" right? So your just as guilty. The thread was never about how many kids have seen Dumbo (which you started)

No, I didn't start that. Others were saying that todays generation didn't know it, and that's when I pointed out that a big factor was the DC no longer showing the classics.

I don't see why your so upset about the new generation now knowing about those classic show? Why may I ask?

Because I am a Walt Disney fan and want his Timeless Legacy of films and TV to live FOREVER.

If they really wanted to know (like I did) they would research an order tapes off line an watch some on YouTube.

And how are they supposed to want something if they don't know it exists? The vast majority of the anthology series is not available on tapes, DVD, or Youtube.

And I am far from "one person"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom