Which one is the real It's a Small World

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I have always heard that the Its a Small World in Disney world is the one from New York City, Disneyland was built first which would convince me that Disneyland has the original setup.

Rob562

The original IASW from the Worlds Fair was installed in Disneyland. It's still there, though I don't know how much of it is still original. I think the flume itself was just replaced in the big overhaul. And I'm sure many of the dolls are still original.

-Rob

Wilt Dasney

The original IASW from the Worlds Fair was installed in Disneyland. It's still there, though I don't know how much of it is still original.

"This is George Washington's axe, the same one he used on his farm. It's been in the family for generations. The handle has been replaced three times and the head has been replaced twice."

Laura

Premium Member
I was just asking my dad yesterday evening as we were on the DL IASW if he recognized any of it from the World's Fair. He said he was 9 at the World's Fair and doesn't remember what it looked like. :lol:

MarkTwain

The Disneyland version of IASW is about twice as long as the version at WDW, but as others have said, it's changed so much that it's now completely different than when it premiered at the World's Fair. For the most part, the scenes are largely intact, but they're in a different order and arranged differently, with some AAs added and others removed, and a few new coats of paint. And then of course, with the recent installment of the Disney characters and the new America scene, the attraction is pretty different than it was even a few years ago.

Expo_Seeker40

The "it's a small world" in Disneyland (California) is the original "it's a small world" AKA the one that debuted at the 1964 New York World's Fair. The famous clock tower facade was not at the fair, they didn't have time to finish it, so it didn't make an appearance until IASW opened at Disneyland in 1966.

When the attraction moved to Disneyland: a brand new building was made to house the ride, the sets, boats, and flume were all brought straight from New York,however the load and unload dock and queue is nothing like it was in New York, many of the sets were rearranged, and the Polynesian Room was added on because originally, once you turned to the left and headed beneath the different merchandise hanging over you in South America, you then entered the finale room.

Interestingly enough, the rainforest scene was orginally in Brazil, and the empty spot for it is still there on the ride, but it was indeed saved when small world was refurbed a year or so ago.

Also, two things that didn't make it to Disneyland was the moon and sun props in the finale room....those were replicated in the last refurb of the ride.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I was just asking my dad yesterday evening as we were on the DL IASW if he recognized any of it from the World's Fair. He said he was 9 at the World's Fair and doesn't remember what it looked like. :lol:
I dont care how old you are or how long it has been, how could one forget that attraction and song. :D

Is it true the original was made for Pepsi? And if this is true what happened with the parks all being Coke? Or have they swapped drinks companies in the past?

lilclerk

I'm really shocked it's never been duplicated at DL. :shrug:

Though, the sign for IASW does look a bit like it.

You know, I say that because it looked so awesome but I don't see how it would work in one of the parks, especially with the clock tower facade in DL. I think it would have all been too busy.

The original IASW from the Worlds Fair was installed in Disneyland. It's still there, though I don't know how much of it is still original. I think the flume itself was just replaced in the big overhaul. And I'm sure many of the dolls are still original.

-Rob

I think most of the dolls are original except for the fact they added Disney Characters into a classic ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom