Monorail Accident

hardcard

Also, consider this... In the beam shot:

art.monorail.disney.cnn.jpg

Purple appears dead (forgive the terminology)... No lights active in the cabins in the cars.. While Pink is still energized.. HOWEVER once purple is in the TTC, the control panel on the side of the head car (cab) is illuminated.. so... here's a valid question... Did the monorail lose power before the crash? if it did, how far would it travel before coasting to a stop? Of course that would depend on traveling speed, etc...

juan

Does anyone know the conditions to allow the monorails to go past the MAPO or whatever its called to pull the monorails into the garage? If the monorails are able to get so close to obstacles and other monorails back in the garage, maybe computer issues allowed this monorail to ignore the monorail ahead and continue as if it was pulling into the garage.
Just a thought.

This is sad, my condolences go out to the family.

rtphokie

To the poster who asked about speed vs impact, Even at 15 MPH the kinetics of the mass of the mono would cause such an impact as seen in the still photos

Keep in mind that we are talking about 50tons of train. That's a lot of inertia to overcome. Looking at the photos, knowing the mass of the train, and the construction of the nose sections, I'd guess the train wasn't going more that 15mph which would put it in override mode if the descriptions of that mode I've been reading are accurate.

rtphokie

Also, consider this... In the beam shot:

Did the monorail lose power before the crash? if it did, how far would it travel before coasting to a stop? Of course that would depend on traveling speed, etc...

I wouldn't read too much into that photo, purple may have lost power after the collision.

It was not Austin's error. He was told by central a switch was moved and it wasn't. They ended up going into different ends of the same station in override.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

Is it a nightmare today with only the bus system and ferry running?
Prayers go out to the family and friends of the cast member that was killed.
I hope they can find out how to prevent this kind of event in the future.

hardcard

Based on the post by DisneylandRRGuy... IF we take that as what actually happened, based on the photos, that makes perfect sense..

Generaly physics involved would dictate that the 'powered/moving' train would push into the other train.. upon reaching more rigid materials (steel, not fiberglass) the train would go the only way it can... Vertical, above the beamway.. in a sense 'climbing' the other train, as the subsequent cars 'drive' it into the stationary train... This is EXACTLY the case in this photo.. Pink is climbing Purple..... Notice how far the rear car of pink is 'lifted' into the air above the beamway.. The skirts on both trains show the drastic difference there..

Human error may have been at the hands of Central control, rather than the pilot....

Lee

Adventurer
Wow...wouldn't it be nice to get some good news for a change?:rolleyes:

Anyhow...the message I got this morning was that the accident happened in the station, Pink backing into Purple. Not the Purple driver's fault. Not a computer glitch. Human error, but not on the part of the driver.
Can't verify for sure, but I got that early-ish this morning.

EDIT: Just scanned a few posts and saw this scenario mentioned, so just add my post to the list that heard that.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

I just saw a video that was filmed right after the accident. I don't think it would be right to post here because you see a Cast Member telling the man to get out of the station with the camera.
There were guests in the station but I guess the right thing to do is to clear the area and let the professionals handle it.
I think it is safe to say that guests will never be allowed to ride in the front of the monorail ever again.

hardcard

I think it is safe to say that guests will never be allowed to ride in the front of the monorail ever again.

no basis for that at all.... They still allow you to drive your car after people crash their car, and you're still allowed on planes even though there have been several crashes this year..

Fievel

RunDisney Addict

Anyhow...the message I got this morning was that the accident happened in the station, Pink backing into Purple. Not the Purple driver's fault. Not a computer glitch. Human error, but not on the part of the driver.

EDIT: Just scanned a few posts and saw this scenario mentioned, so just add my post to the list that heard that.

Thanks Lee...amidst the wild speculation going on, it's nice to have a nice calm post that states info we can believe in.

nyfrenchy

Word of caution to those seeking the video on youtube:
You will find a couple of videos claiming that Youtube has removed the video and they display a website URL to visit to get the video. THIS IS A SCAM. THe website is loaded with trojan & viruses.

EPCOT Explorer

Thanks, Lee.:wave:

hardcard

Thanks Lee...amidst the wild speculation going on, it's nice to have a nice calm post that states info we can believe in.

\

you're right, because the rest of us are obviously retards!

we shouldn't post at all until someone with knowledge does.

BadTigger

Word of caution to those seeking the video on youtube:
You will find a couple of videos claiming that Youtube has removed the video and they display a website URL to visit to get the video. THIS IS A SCAM. THe website is loaded with trojan & viruses.

And what about that weird kid doing a news update form his bedroom??

tomm4004

...The short, short version is that Monorail Central cleared Monorail Pink in reverse into the Concourse (the Epcot side of the TTC) station without being aware that Monorail Purple was still in the station. ...For whatever reason, Purple just sat in the station without attempting to avoid the accident, and was struck by Pink moving at the full 15 mph allowed during MAPO override...

If true, this would counter speculation that the accident happened on the beam and the trains were then moved into the station. It would also confirm the initial post on this thread that Pink hit Purple.

As for Purple sitting in the station, the video showed passengers who appeared to have been on the train during the accident. The question is: were they disembarking at TTC, or riding back to EPCOT?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom