just how much should a high school yearbook cost?

songbird

Original Poster
both kidlets hit me up for money this morning, they needed to order their yearbooks today before the price goes up.

younger daughter, a sophomore, ordered the basic yearbook -- $100.

older daughter, a senior, ordered the "special" -- it comes with extra signature pages, a nameplate, and a supplement with photos of the spring activities and the prom. -- $115.

when I was a student -- at that very school -- I don't remember the yearbook being so expensive!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I feel your pain. My oldest is a junior in high school and her yearbook was over $100. We also just shelled out around $500 for a class ring now a car is right around the corner which is another $5,000-$6,000.

I think I need to get a second job.

tigsmom

both kidlets hit me up for money this morning, they needed to order their yearbooks today before the price goes up.

older daughter, a senior, ordered the "special" -- it comes with extra signature pages, a nameplate, and a supplement with photos of the spring activities and the prom. -- $115.

when I was a student -- at that very school -- I don't remember the yearbook being so expensive!

Was that back in the dark ages? :lol:

The middle school yearbook here is $30 pre-sale and $40 during the general sale. My oldest graduated from HS in 2006 so thats the last year I have a price for...$60 pre-sale and $75 general sale. No special added features.

Back when I bought yearbooks they were $25 a piece and we thought that was a lot. :eek:

tigsmom

I feel your pain. My oldest is a junior in high school and her yearbook was over $100. We also just shelled out around $500 for a class ring now a car is right around the corner which is another $5,000-$6,000.

I think I need to get a second job.

((hugs)) I hear ya. We got Lil'Mermaid a car last summer so she could get to her internship (unpaid) and job (minimum pay). The car cost $8K (but we knew the owner and KNOW its a good car) and they got new tires for it before they sold it to us. Its the insurance thats a killer.

Number_6

So wait... Sophomores get yearbooks now too? Do Freshman as well? Juniors? Are you saying they get four yearbooks in High School now? Man, only the Seniors got yearbooks when I went and I only graduated in 1995. I vaguely remember the costs being around $60-70 for my yearbook. Ours came with extra signature pages, technically, but it was that they handed us signature pages that could be adhered to the inside of the yearbook later because of a delay in getting them printed. We didn't get ours until the second to last day of school, so we were still able to get as many people signing as we could.

tigsmom

So wait... Sophomores get yearbooks now too? Do Freshman as well? Juniors? Are you saying they get four yearbooks in High School now? Man, only the Seniors got yearbooks when I went and I only graduated in 1995. I vaguely remember the costs being around $60-70 for my yearbook. Ours came with extra signature pages, technically, but it was that they handed us signature pages that could be adhered to the inside of the yearbook later because of a delay in getting them printed. We didn't get ours until the second to last day of school, so we were still able to get as many people signing as we could.

I graduated from HS in 1975 and anybody with money could get a yearbook, same with the DH who graduated from the school district the kids go to now ('76). I had one all 4 years as did he.

songbird

Original Poster
ywes, this is the fourth yearbook I am buying for my older daughter, and the second go-round for the younger daughter. Jen got her class ring in her sophomore year, and Becca just ordered her class ring ($500, more or less, for each ring!). Jen is also nagging me for a car, she's had a learner's permit for over a year now and will be taking the road test soon.

I still have my yearbook from....dare I say it...1978. Last year I let Becca take it to school to show to her sociology teacher. He got a real kick out of seeing what the shcool looked like 30 years ago -- and what some of the older teachers looked like back then.

tigsmom

ywes, this is the fourth yearbook I am buying for my older daughter, and the second go-round for the younger daughter. Jen got her class ring in her sophomore year, and Becca just ordered her class ring ($500, more or less, for each ring!). Jen is also nagging me for a car, she's had a learner's permit for over a year now and will be taking the road test soon.

I still have my yearbook from....dare I say it...1978. Last year I let Becca take it to school to show to her sociology teacher. He got a real kick out of seeing what the shcool looked like 30 years ago -- and what some of the older teachers looked like back then.

:lol:

Some of the teachers our kids have went to school with the DH. Our Superintendent was my 10th grade English teacher (in a different district). My brother who taught here for over 30 years almost died when some of his old students came back as teachers. :eek:
I keep my yearbooks well hidden. :lookaroun

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I think I paid somewhere between $20-$40 between the years of 1990 - 1994.

Have they gotten that expensive now? Thats insain.. it should be no more than $20 (IMO).

The Mom

Premium Member
:lol:

Some of the teachers our kids have went to school with the DH. Our Superintendent was my 10th grade English teacher (in a different district). My brother who taught here for over 30 years almost died when some of his old students came back as teachers. :eek:
I keep my yearbooks well hidden. :lookaroun

My son has one of his sister's classmates as a teacher! :eek:

songbird

Original Poster
When I was in junior high, my favorite teacher was Mr. G. I didn't have a class with him, but he was the advisor for the drama club, and I was a member of the club and performed in some of the plays. I had a huge crush on Mr. G. when I was 13. (I didn't realize it at the time, but he was only 23 years old.)

so you can imagine how I felt when my older daughter was in 8th grade, and Mr. G. was her English teacher.

tink68

Ok I graduated in 86 and I think ours were around $20-25 and they were huge. $100! Wow! I have a 6th grader and hers was $35 or 40 this year. Guess I better start saving up for those high school years. :lol:

Nemo14

Ok I graduated in 86 and I think ours were around $20-25 and they were huge. $100! Wow! I have a 6th grader and hers was $35 or 40 this year. Guess I better start saving up for those high school years. :lol:
It really is insane how expensive these things get. DD refused to pay the outrageous price they wanted for her high school ring, and instead ordered one from WalMart. It seems so important to them at the time to have what everyone else has, but truthfully, once they graduate, they rarely wear the rings, and the yearbooks only come out at class reunions.

The Mom

Premium Member
BTW, I think my children's yearbooks are around the $100 mark. Their elementary school (private) also had yearbooks(around $25), so they each have/will have at least 12 of them. I enjoy looking back and comparing current classmates who attended the same school with their kindergarten photos.

tink68

I know all of my yearbooks are now in boxes, but they are nice to have, and I wore my class ring for maybe all senior year. After that it was put up and never taken out again. Gees. hehe :lol:
Sheri

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
The thing I dont get.. is how prices have gone up astronomically... with the advance of programs such as photoshop... and illustrator... etc.

I mean... I dont think there is a LOT of manual cut & paste, and manual page layout work involved anymore. I mean... are yearbooks going full 5 color print press now? If so... then THAT would explain these prices. All my year books were Black & White. :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It really is insane how expensive these things get. DD refused to pay the outrageous price they wanted for her high school ring, and instead ordered one from WalMart. It seems so important to them at the time to have what everyone else has, but truthfully, once they graduate, they rarely wear the rings, and the yearbooks only come out at class reunions.
It is a double edged sword. You do not want you kids to be left out and subject the cruelty of their classmates but where do you draw the line and say no mas? I think that the schools and the suppliers of yearbooks, rings etc play into this. They know that the parents are going to fork out the money so they keep raising the prices to the obnoxious level that they have gotten to.

Number_6

Over the years, I had a couple of teachers that had been around during the time my mom went to school. My fifth grade English teacher, Mrs Carter, had my mom and my uncle as students. She even had a globe in her classroom that had an old Boston Red Sox pencil in it... that my mom had put there. My seventh grade math teacher, Mr Lynn, had been the vice principal at the Junior High my mom and uncle went to. And if you look at the yearbooks for myself, my mom and my dad, there are three teachers that appear in all three, two of them I actually had as teachers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom