Bomb/Drug Sniffing Dog in Magic Kingdom 10/02

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWcouple

Original Poster
My wife and I decided to do a quick run through of MK yesterday before we were to drive back home, and we were walking by the Crystal Palace when 3 security CMs stopped all foot traffic in that immediate area. They blocked off the pathway to adventure land from both sides. I noticed a backpack on one of the benches in the blocked off area, and we decided to stick around.

About 3 mins later a uniformed officer with a dog walked the area of the backpack, checked the garbage can close to the item, and then the backpack itself. After about 30 seconds the officer with the dog signaled to security and they retrieved the backpack and re-opened the area.

Im not sure if it was a bomb or drug sniffing dog, but the fact that all foot traffic in that area was stopped it would lead me to believe that it may have been a bomb sniffing dog.

Anyhow here is picture I was able to snap off, although I didnt think it wise to show too much intrest in what was going on, just in case...

MKC25-2.jpg

Thiger

even though it makes me shudder to think people are low enough to try to defile WDW its nice to know that they have some serious security in place.

TOTGuy

This isn't an unusual occurance. CM's are encouraged to call security for anything suspicious. Better to be safe than sorry. The dogs are Disney Security's own K-9 unit. They really do a great job "protecting the magic".

DisneyMusician2

I didn't realize that Disney had its own native K-9 unit....Is that true? How long has that been in place? It really interesting, actually. But really good to hear.

DisneyPirate85

We saw a "unattended" Backpack by Splash Mountain in July, We didn't get to see the dog but a CM took care. Being a Police officer seeing it made me a little concerned just moved the kids on. In this Post 9/11 world better to be informed then scared:wave:

Jim Disney

Thats not unusual. Disney Secuirty has its own K-9 unit and was out and about constantly.
Yeah, this is not at all uncommon on the west coast either. The "Pluto" units are constantly out and about at Disneyland/DCA and Downtown Disney. They even have special units dedicated specifically for Cast Members (those dogs, while trained for bomb sniffing, have a main purpose of finding... well, other substances).

WDWcouple

Original Poster
Being a police officer as well..the first thing you should have done is gone the other way...always remember...curiosity killed the cat:ROFLOL:

yeah my wife seemed to have that same preminition....Good thing it was a false alarm

Piebald

I don't know if it's policy or just a pretentious security CM but sometimes they will ask you to erase the picture from your camera if you took one of the dog. I know that happened a few times when I was around.

Anyways it's no big deal. Usually it is something as trivial as someone leaving their bag by a tree and not coming back to get it immediately after like an hour. They just take pictures and wait around and if no one comes to get it they just take it.

Fantasyland-er

Issues like this are brought up all the time... when I was working in F-Land a carboard box was left in the middle of the path in front of peter pan, and people went crazy... they took the dogs out for that one too, it turns out that a custodian left the box filled with windex bottles and other non-lethal chemicals on stage and forgot about it. both funny and scary at the same time I suppose.:veryconfu

WDWcouple

Original Poster
I don't know if it's policy or just a pretentious security CM but sometimes they will ask you to erase the picture from your camera if you took one of the dog. I know that happened a few times when I was around.

Anyways it's no big deal. Usually it is something as trivial as someone leaving their bag by a tree and not coming back to get it immediately after like an hour. They just take pictures and wait around and if no one comes to get it they just take it.

I figured something like that might happen so I moved from Casey's over towards the entrance to Liberty Square. This little 8.0MP Canon I got for my birthday was able to zoom in pretty decently though

phenom1307

i was working at DAK one day when that same situation happened.....there was a bag just left on a bench either near the main entrance to the park or near the tram load zone, cant remember which.....but anyways it was left there and after awhile they brought a dog over to check it out and it turned out to just be some lunch box

daklimation

It happens pretty often, think of all the times people forget about a bag, or leave one somewhere when they jump on a ride.

Disney investigates every unattended bag, in any of the parks.

Figment1989

I must say though - while I've been there I've noticed a couple of suspicious things.
The last time I was there (the end of August) I saw a lot of different men around with videocameras. The weird part was that they weren't videotaping family or anything, they were videotaping buildings and appeared to be alone. Maybe I was just being paranoid, but they did have me really worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom