Bomb/Drug Sniffing Dog in Magic Kingdom 10/02

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW Monorail

Dogs are sent out before opening and after closing each day. Another thing worth noting is that the monorails are also checked by dogs on a daily basis. Although I don't know why since it would be rather difficult to find a hiding spot within the a car. It is rather difficult for a guest to get underneath the train...

The dogs are of Disney Security.

*EDIT*

So you mean I can't videotape the columns near the Dodge Theater in the Italy Pavillion? I did this my last trip.

mikeymouse

hmmm... i woulda bet money the K9 officer had an Orange Co Sheriffs patch on his green uniform shirt.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Somewhat on topic, but I thought WDW only had bomb sniffing dogs, no drug sniffing dogs. In fact, years ago I was told by the WDW Security Director at the time, Robert Streit, that they didn't. They only pulled them out during Grad Nite as a show of force, but not any other purpose. IME, they turn a blind eye to drug usage in WDW.

Perhaps this has changed.

PhotoDave219

hmmm... i woulda bet money the K9 officer had an Orange Co Sheriffs patch on his green uniform shirt.

You are incorrect. That is Disney Security. I've met him once before outside Epcot.

mktiggermannnnnnnnn said:
Somewhat on topic, but I thought WDW only had bomb sniffing dogs, no drug sniffing dogs. In fact, years ago I was told by the WDW Security Director at the time, Robert Streit, that they didn't. They only pulled them out during Grad Nite as a show of force, but not any other purpose. IME, they turn a blind eye to drug usage in WDW.

Perhaps this has changed.

I was rather shocked because i thought the only people who had them was the local SO's.

Figment1989

Trust me, I'm all for videotaping absolutely EVERYTHING in WDW, but something just struck me slightly odd...I was waiting in line for about 20 minutes for a REALLY REALLY GOOD dole whip:), and there was a guy videotaping the buildings the entire time...maybe I'm just paranoid:lookaroun

mkt

Premium Member
Trust me, I'm all for videotaping absolutely EVERYTHING in WDW, but something just struck me slightly odd...I was waiting in line for about 20 minutes for a REALLY REALLY GOOD dole whip:), and there was a guy videotaping the buildings the entire time...maybe I'm just paranoid:lookaroun
yes you are... much like the time that I saw CM's rushing towards an unattended backpack at Epcot. When I overheard them say the "b" word while walking by all I could think was "Paranoid Sheeple"

mkt

Premium Member
I was rather shocked because i thought the only people who had them was the local SO's.
I think that's still the case. Disney security is a loss prevention department for a private company (whose guards are not licensed.), not a law enforcement agency. They have no use for drug dogs. In todays fabricated Orwellian society that's the consequence of leadership's mistakes, they have slightly more use for bomb dogs.

Thelazer

I think that's still the case. Disney security is a loss prevention department for a private company (whose guards are not licensed.), not a law enforcement agency. They have no use for drug dogs. In todays fabricated Orwellian society that's the consequence of leadership's mistakes, they have slightly more use for bomb dogs.

While I agree with the "fabricated orwellian society" (after all, isn't everything at WDW fake, fabricated and you could call it Orwellian too!) I have to say that there *IS* a bit of use for the dogs. Lets just say, the do find drugs every now and then.

Of course, instead of checking the CM's only. I'd perfer it if they would also run the dogs thur the hotel rooms each day too. Heck, if were going to play big brother, then lets do it to the guests as well. It's only fair.

mkt

Premium Member
While I agree with the "fabricated orwellian society" (after all, isn't everything at WDW fake, fabricated and you could call it Orwellian too!) I have to say that there *IS* a bit of use for the dogs. Lets just say, the do find drugs every now and then.

Of course, instead of checking the CM's only. I'd perfer it if they would also run the dogs thur the hotel rooms each day too. Heck, if were going to play big brother, then lets do it to the guests as well. It's only fair.

I hope to all that's holy that you're kidding

Magicfinder

I'm afraid we use 9/11 as a mantra for trading freedom & liberty for security. I don't agree with trading away freedoms...even for security. It's too slippery of a slope.

JDM

I'm afraid we use 9/11 as a mantra for trading freedom & liberty for security. I don't agree with trading away freedoms...even for security. It's too slippery of a slope.

Well, as you try to clamor up that slope remember this:

World Trade Center
Pentagon
White House

All are uniquely American icons which were targeted for terrorism for exactly that reason --and to achieve maximum impact.
And what do they have in common with Disneyworld? Hmmm....let's see.....

Why do you think Disney closed the parks on September 11th? They were worried they might be targeted. Fortunately that didn't happen.

But let's be real. A bomb-sniffing dog and a cautious security force is not a slippery slope and it's not Orwellian. It's common sense. Let's keep this all in perspective. Like it or not, we no longer live in the same world we used to before that fateful day.

All I'm saying is that this backpack incident is no big deal and I'm glad they took precautions, just in case.

Magicfinder

Well, as you try to clamor up that slope remember this:

World Trade Center
Pentagon
White House

All are uniquely American icons which were targeted for terrorism for exactly that reason --and to achieve maximum impact.
And what do they have in common with Disneyworld? Hmmm....let's see.....

Why do you think Disney closed the parks on September 11th? They were worried they might be targeted. Fortunately that didn't happen.

But let's be real. A bomb-sniffing dog and a cautious security force is not a slippery slope and it's not Orwellian. It's common sense. Let's keep this all in perspective. Like it or not, we no longer live in the same world we used to before that fateful day.

All I'm saying is that this backpack incident is no big deal and I'm glad they took precautions, just in case.

Taking precaution in the case of an abandoned backpack is fine; however, I've heard of people being confronted because they were taking pictures of "odd things" at WDW (for example, taking pictures of the boats that go between EPCOT & DHS). My concern is that we're giving up personal freedoms that once lost, can never be regained.

Thelazer

I hope to all that's holy that you're kidding

Nope. I'm not. Not kidding about any of it.

But, I'd also like to see them install those nifty water sensors in ALL the hotel rooms as well. Heck, if the cast bathrooms have to have those auto-shut-off-not-enough-water faucets. Then by gum! It's only fair to put them in the resorts. Heck, after all even if your paying $400 a night for a room in the GF, you still should not waste florida's water!

Oh and while we are at it. Lets fix the room air cooling units. If the backstage office areas can be kept at 75 degrees, so can those hotel rooms. Think how much power we will save!

As far as giving up personal freedoms. Just because a CM asks to go thur your bag or see your camara after you took a photo of a building. That does not mean you have to agree to it.
Trust me, if I was spending a day at the park and a CM came up to me and said "Why were you takeing a picture of that boat?" well, lets just say I would not just hand over my camara and say "oh, I'm sorry.. here I'll delete it"... not a chance!

JDM

Taking precaution in the case of an abandoned backpack is fine; however, I've heard of people being confronted because they were taking pictures of "odd things" at WDW (for example, taking pictures of the boats that go between EPCOT & DHS). My concern is that we're giving up personal freedoms that once lost, can never be regained.

I understand your fear, but believe it is unfounded. Some "freedoms" were lost during World War II as well, but were regained later. Things change during war time as we are in a war against terrorists.
Personally, I can't recall losing any "freedoms" or "rights" since September 11th, but let's remember that this whole thread is about a bag and a dog.
HARDLY the same thing.

mkt

Premium Member
I understand your fear, but believe it is unfounded. Some "freedoms" were lost during World War II as well, but were regained later. Things change during war time as we are in a war against terrorists.
Personally, I can't recall losing any "freedoms" or "rights" since September 11th, but let's remember that this whole thread is about a bag and a dog.
HARDLY the same thing.

Patriot Act, Department of Homeland Security, TSA.

Want me to continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom