Vintage Attraction Posters?

SirNim

Epcot has had its share of memorable posters.

Of course, not many individual attractions had their own poster. Spaceship Earth was an exception.

But several "iconic" posters were created as part of the pre-opening 1981/1982 advertising blitz for EPCOT Center. One of the most famous depicts the SSE sphere floating in black space dotted with stars and with a stylized "track" encircling the sphere—the image Marni posted a few posts up. However, the text for this particular poster reads "The 21st Century Begins October 1, 1982." Also, instead of the SSE logo, this poster features the EPCOT Center five-ring logo.

Another notable 1982-85 promotional poster features the photograph of the Hotel du Canada framed perfectly by a large SSE. The EPCOT Center logotype is featured above SSE, bleeding to the edges. The five-ring logo is in the bottom right corner.

Coming across mint-condition specimens of these two posters is quite a task. I acquired both this summer as part of a project to get some vintage Epcot art on my walls, and since this thread concerns itself with vintage attraction posters, I figured I'd weigh in, if just to say that EPCOT indeed did produce a limited handful of posters with some very iconic imagery on them.

I can tell you that a fraudulent reproduction of the 1981 EPCOT Center "sphere floating in space" poster is listed on eBay right now. The seller sniped an original, legitimate copy of the poster this summer, then, I believe, proceeded to make at least 10 copies of it. One of the copies is on eBay right now. An "epcot poster" search will lead anybody to it. Unfortunately, the market has been fradulently flooded with these reproductions, which are being sold and advertised as original, severely limiting demand (supply & demand) and thus lowering the value of the genuine poster I managed to secure for myself this summer. :(

:D

kcnole

Wasn't there a poster for Horizons as well, with the outline of the building looking like a spaceship landing or something?

Main Street USA

Very impressive!!!!
Thank ya! I'm planning on doing many more in the near future. Once I finish a few more, I'm going to feature them on wdwvirtualvisit.com in a new section for user submitted WDW artwork divided by age.

I'll probably need to dig into the old Digital Media contests to find a bunch old stuff, too. Should be a fun section for everyone.

jedimaster1227

I had some free time so composited the SSE entrance poster in photoshop; if anyone wants the full size version (A4) drop me an email :D

Mine is similar to that poster, but the view of SSE is taken by looking straight at it (better showing its symmetry), plus it is the poster from the parks opening day with my two tickets attached to it. Take that guys! :p

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ You win :D

Here`s a few more I`ve played with, as mentioned above. Obviously they don`t come close to the real ones; what I`d give to have the real Mcoys hanging on my wall! SirNim, how accurate is the Canada one? I have vague memories of it, but think the EPCOT Center logo was the original EPCOT in big letters, with CENTER directly below in smaller letters, and with the WDW globe-in-the-D logo above it?

Attachments

• Horizons poster copy.jpg
    Horizons poster copy.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4939 copy.jpg
    IMG_4939 copy.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 83

brkgnews

Man, I would love one of the Canada ones in real life. I was bidding on one on eBay, but it got to be too outrageous. And believe me, when I say the price was too outrageous, it must have been redonkulous. Not that I'm rich -- far from it -- but because I'm not excactly the best at holding back the pursestrings when you dangle vintage EPCOT in my face. :lookaroun

Someone on eBay is selling one SIMILAR to the old SSE one, but instead of focusing on just SSE, it's the all-park "21st century begins" one. Either way, the one I got was in pristine condition, and not all that ridiculous. They apparently have several of them.

AndrewBradt

Does anyone else remember them selling a WDW monorail poster with the Contemporary in the background? Wish I had bought that one when I had the chance...

AEfx

I'm really surprised these aren't easier to get, or kept in stock (the higher-quality, non-print on demand ones). I'd think they'd be decent sellers, with a really high profit margin I'd assume.

AEfx

Icekid84

drooll..... Vintage Epcot...... cant get enough of it...

About the Epcot Posters, my Dad and I are big collectors.. I'm more of the finder and I find ways to get him to buy. Basically if its 80s I'm sold, and as I know I'm not alone since lots of Competition for that stuff on ebay. I was surprised by someone speaking of forgery's of the old Epcot Posters.. some people. I noticed that some have been going low, I believe I saw one that finished for like 15 dollars not a month ago. The posters from Epcot we have are..

-The Century Begins October 1, 1982 - SSE black with track around it
-The Newest Wonder of the World - SSE Black with Track around it

And another that I fell in love with that I notice not on here is the other

-The Century Begins October 1, 1982 with overview of an artist rendering of Epcot Center.

Got a picture here. Dont have a Horizons or the Canada one but to tell you the truth I dont get a strong feeling looking at that Canada one and the Horizons one.. seems too advertis-ish to me. But thats my oppinion. BTW the image attached is not of the one we own I got it off ebay years ago when I was trying to start a picture inventory list of the stuff we had.

266676399_16a7697133_o.jpg

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
as always, thanks martin......

i really wish i had that poster ^... that would go nicely framed next to the Haunted Mansion poster. :D

EDIT: the posters on ebay are frightfully expensive. if you are going down anytime soon, just wait and go to the gallery store in DTD and they are $37. if you arent going down then i guess you could pay the $49 plus shipping for most

SirNim

SirNim, how accurate is the Canada one? I have vague memories of it, but think the EPCOT Center logo was the original EPCOT in big letters, with CENTER directly below in smaller letters, and with the WDW globe-in-the-D logo above it?
You are correct.

The single word EPCOT bleeds across the entire top of the poster, with CENTER just below it in smaller letters. The WDW D-Globe logo is small, and can be found in the central bar of the letter "E" in EPCOT on top.

The five-ring logo on the bottom of the poster also features the EPCOT CENTER wordmark as well as the same WDW D-Globe logo.

brkgnews said:
Someone on eBay is selling one SIMILAR to the old SSE one, but instead of focusing on just SSE, it's the all-park "21st century begins" one. Either way, the one I got was in pristine condition, and not all that ridiculous. They apparently have several of them.
I do believe that you are referring to the forgery. Of course, I have no way to prove it, whatsoever. All I can say is that I believe the seller has gone through at least two other eBay names. One name he uses to snipe posters in the last minute of the auction. Then he uses a second name to sell the poster that he sniped at a later date. Then he uses a third name to sell unauthorized "replicas" (aka fake copies) of the poster weeks and months after the original auction. My evidence? If you look at the items that each of the three user IDs have either won or are selling, they all match up. They are the same. He's a poster freak, not a Disney freak. He's tried to sell a handful of Roger Clemens Houston Astros posters, some NASCAR posters, some Nine Inch Nails concert posters, etc. I really can only come to the conclusion that he's taking them to Staples or SirSpeedy or some place like that and making a bunch of copies. Do not buy from the guy. I'm 99% confident his stuff's not genuinely vintage.

Icekid84

SirNim :Sorry if you posted but I read your topic and I cant find where you mention the user's name.

Well I dont mean to throw stones at people but I believe this guy is the forgery man of Epcot Center Posters. http://cgi.ebay.com/EPCOT-DISNEY-PR...goryZ144QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Reasons I believe this to be true is

A. This User sells nothing but posters, easily seenin their Feedback rating.
B. All the posters the person is conveniently of the Epcot Center are all neat and clean and have the EXACT same description.
C. This person also had a buy it now on one past, poster selling for 26 Dollars!!

all in all it sounds a bit fishy to me

Past Ebay with Poster

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=144&item=270036430633
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=144&item=270028617560

I personally do not believe myself to be wrong becauses its odd that someone would have 3 Pre-opening Epcot Posters like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom