Rivers of Light - Time for a reevaluation?

TTA94

They should do a drone and light show narrated by James Earl Jones with more of a calmer setting and projection mapping all over the park on the buildings and in the trees.

Would drones potentially upset some of the animals? I think a new version of RoL with a lot of fountains is the way to go, or some type of nighttime parade.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I appreciate you took the time
I appreciate your answer 👋 ☺️

Perhaps there could be some barge based “hissy” effects with no shells. Maybe some of the newer “cold” spark effects too. But I do know anything like a traditional show has been a no no (and also axed) in the past. I enjoyed immensely the original RoL when everything worked as intended. And seeing that sorry amphitheater sat for no reason other than destroying the parks theming is very sad.

SplashJacket

I appreciate your answer 👋 ☺️

Perhaps there could be some barge based “hissy” effects with no shells. Maybe some of the newer “cold” spark effects too. But I do know anything like a traditional show has been a no no (and also axed) in the past. I enjoyed immensely the original RoL when everything worked as intended. And seeing that sorry amphitheater sat for no reason other than destroying the parks theming is very sad.
I watched CliffX’s video of the original RoL recently, and honestly, it doesn’t seem half bad. Issue is the first half builds up to a grander second half, but then not much more happens, and then the second half builds up to an underwhelming finale.

The big fire barge was disappointing. Fire should’ve been grander and more like RoE.

The show with a more complete and grandiose fire package and drones would make it sufficiently interesting imho.

Drones interacting with the actor’s dances and moves would be far more interesting and three dimensional. Combine the drones to fight between the two boats with actors and have beautiful moments would be incredible.

With the drones, you could integrate the actors, flames, and water for a spectacular show, but I really think it needs all three in full force to be a true night-time spectacular.

DisneyFanatic12

It's always cool how much the technology changes! Lasers, for instance, are never used to their fullest potential in Disney's nighttime spectaculars, but what these effects like their lasers can do nowadays is astonishing! It's in many ways crazy how much more the content of a show matters than the actual effects and technology.

Rivers of Light was fun, but it was too slow for me at the time and lacked any big "wow" moments.

I feel like they could certainly add more pyrotechnics and fountains to have a more impressive and entertaining show.

Last edited:

Splashin' Ryan

I would've loved to see the very very original rivers of light when it was testing. If I remember right it was even longer than the show that officially debuted.

Also, those hundreds of floating luminaries would've been amazing to see too but I guess that many moving parts didn't work.

While I still have it as my number one Disney soundtrack it really didn't help the show that a lot of the effects like the disconnected water screen weren't working when it started. The removal of the live performers didn't help it in the end either.

I would love to see a world of color 2.0 here but the troubles with the raising platform in DCA have me think they'll never do that again.

TTA94

I hope they can get a fountain and drone show online for summer 2025. @Henry Mystic mentioned a DAK nighttime show in another thread.
Unless they plan to heavily modify the DAK amphitheater and install a permanent fountain platform like WoC, which I doubt, they should relatively quickly be able to install fountains and other equipment on a bunch of flat barges.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
It was one of the best park soundtracks of modern times.

IMHO.
I'm in the same camp on this one... fantastic score! Very ROE-like (which is probably why I liked it a lot). I mean, I guess if you are on team "everything must have music from Disney movies", than I can see why you may not have enjoyed it, but I still find myself listening to the RoL score in my normal rotation...

aladdin2007

I'm in the same camp on this one... fantastic score! Very ROE-like (which is probably why I liked it a lot). I mean, I guess if you are on team "everything must have music from Disney movies", than I can see why you may not have enjoyed it, but I still find myself listening to the RoL score in my normal rotation...
That's what I was hoping for with Luminous, but, not the direction they took. Except at the beginning maybe. I know many disagree but I think the ROL main theme song would have been very moving as part of Lum instead of being so over pop'ed music/singing..

Bocabear

I remember years ago when ROL was going to be a light parade on the river through the park....and then it bacame more of a show... I wonder if going to fanciful boats full of lanterns traveling around the park river and ending at the amphitheater could set up a more intimate, better show with no film clips and cartoon score music...something beautiful and more focused on the beauty of DAK... DAK is the IP.... Like the old EPCOT lake shows that focused on the Pavilions and countries around the lake.....

AKLrocks!

I remember years ago when ROL was going to be a light parade on the river through the park....and then it bacame more of a show... I wonder if going to fanciful boats full of lanterns traveling around the park river and ending at the amphitheater could set up a more intimate, better show with no film clips and cartoon score music...something beautiful and more focused on the beauty of DAK... DAK is the IP.... Like the old EPCOT lake shows that focused on the Pavilions and countries around the lake.....
I just love your idea of the fanciful boats traveling around the park's rivers and ending up at the amphitheater with the beautiful music playing! Imagine how beautiful this would look at night with the boat lanterns lit up!

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Thanks for the video. We were blown away with this show April 2018. I’m pretty sure that was the full show, or at least 98% of its full potential. The entertainers walking the stands and the lanterns and screens working for the most part. Really felt transported into a fantasy. Perfect fit for AK. We were really disappointed it unraveled so quickly.

I cannot mention missing this show without mentioning StarWars Symphony in the Sky over at HS. That was a winner. Don’t know why they changed it and never brought it back.

SplashJacket

OMG. I never saw the show. That is stunning.

Not sure how visible the movements and expressions of the performers would be from a distance, but they are class.
Cliffix’s video is absolutely world class.

Only video of a Disney night show that I believe is better than an in-person viewing. He did an unbelievably fantastic job.

Unfortunately, RoL as a whole didn’t do enough in person to maintain interest and engagement; however, a plussed version with fire and drones could be phenomenal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom