News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Ripken10

Unless I saw progress from Disney, I would not be paying the price for D23, just to hear BLAH BLAH BLAH and rumors with no follow through! At this point I think Disney has got to prove they are in the game of creating Magic, Fantasy, Wishes in order to get guests comfortable with spending years to save to go to a Disney park!
When Epic Universe opens next summer, Disney will be hurting! And if they are being so lazy about the opening of a competitor's park that will have an affect on them, they deserve to hurt!! :-( Then let the executives look at one another and wonder what happened! Where are all the guests? Its just a sad thing to talk about lately!
These kind of statements really confuse me sometimes. Over the last 10 years, it would be easy to argue that disney has invested more in their parks than Universal has. Disney is now promising another great stint and many have all these doubts. It also makes a lot of sense to many that building small things now is not smart when (a) they didn't have the cash flow to do so and had already made a statement to shareholders that this fiscal year would see a drop and (b) these would not compete with what Universal is building and make more sense to wait for that "shiny new toy" to get a little older before building their own new toys. People won't choose disney over universal for a small toy, but people will still come to disney even with the new park opening. It seems you either have to be doom and gloom or pixie duster when it comes to these parks, but that is certainly not the case.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well we know of 3 areas that they are trying to add too.
Disneyland forward
Beyond thunder
Dino replacement

I don't think he's counting fantasy springs or the frozen land
Paris is in line already with some big expansions, so I don't think he is referring to that park yet.

My guess is that Shanghai is on that list as well

I also think the studios should be on that list if it's not.

I look at fantasy springs with 4 attractions and 3 restaurants and see something similar for Beyond thunder

Dino replacement will maybe increase ride count by 1 if we're lucky but it will get rid of a cheap looking section of the park.

Disneyland forward will be huge if they can get it through.

Probably 5 mini lands 1 attraction each but also a restaurant and store and very immursive.
We…know nothing

Nothing has changed at all

Talk is free…never fall for Wall Street tactics

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
These kind of statements really confuse me sometimes. Over the last 10 years, it would be easy to argue that disney has invested more in their parks than Universal has. Disney is now promising another great stint and many have all these doubts. It also makes a lot of sense to many that building small things now is not smart when (a) they didn't have the cash flow to do so and had already made a statement to shareholders that this fiscal year would see a drop and (b) these would not compete with what Universal is building and make more sense to wait for that "shiny new toy" to get a little older before building their own new toys. People won't choose disney over universal for a small toy, but people will still come to disney even with the new park opening. It seems you either have to be doom and gloom or pixie duster when it comes to these parks, but that is certainly not the case.
This is incorrect.

I won’t bore anyone by picking it apart

Rich Brownn

Ive stopped being lazy and looked it up. Yeah so Iger said $17 billion over the next 10 years in Florida. $60 billion is a large uplift but be interested where they plan for that to go.

Cruiseline is already set with 3 more ships and a new private Island on the way. They don't need anymore than that for now especially when they may struggle to fill some of these sailings.

Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Paris are all receiving considerable expansions although especially for Paris they could do more.

I imagine a large chunk of this extra money is for Disneyland Forward. I get it was the original park but why does there get the constant investment?

Im sure all that I've just mentioned is within that $60 billion budget but it does give a lot left for a lot more.

WDW can fairly easily be solved. The don't need or should have a 5th park. Go ahead with the Encanto/ Indy takeover of Dinoland. Build a villains only land behind thunder mountain.

Epcot they can use what's there. Imagination & Play Pavilion re-imagines will help a lot. Build a decent ride in the back of UK Pavilion.

Studios still has massive potential to expand Galaxy's Edge to incorporate the Star Cruiser. Marvel rights I still believe Disney are going to try and get back as part of the Hulu talks and the right side of the park will become it's own Avengers Campus.

Like mentioned, it all needs to add capacity and not just re-themes. Tiana's refurb has been so pushed but the impact is going to be minimal.
Universal will never give up Marvel. The deal is just to good.

Splash4eva

Difference between Disney and Uni right now is that its not lip service from Uni. Iger says we could, we might, blah blah blah. Uni is actually building something wonderful right now in their backyard. This isn't a good look to be constantly talking about something for years without producing much.
I could be a billionaire … all i need to do is win mega and powerball a few times. Totally agree. This is getting old with these announcements and even if ground os broken how long before we even see anything. Put up or shut up at this point.

jpinkc

Dont Forget the Mt Fuji Coaster for Japan that was never built, Now if they just get a Star for it that kicked Disneys butt at the box office OH WAIT !!!!!!!
BigG-1.jpg

SirLink

"and you look at the return on invested capital. It's a no-brainer to invest that way."

Ok Bob.... pull out your purse and get some things approved.

Its needs to go through the layers of approvals below first before it ever goes to the board to give it the old rubber stamp.

Edit: Heard a story years old now but probably still true that they(Imagineering) couldn't agree on the colour on the powerpoint so they gave up on the pitch.

Last edited:

DisneyDean97

Iger keeps on talking about expansion in Disneyland, saying the resort can grow by 50%... I can't help but think Disneyland Forward would just turn into a third gate.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
How much of that investment went to domestic parks versus Chinese ones? That should show you where Bob’s priorities are.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I could be a billionaire … all i need to do is win mega and powerball a few times. Totally agree. This is getting old with these announcements and even if ground os broken how long before we even see anything. Put up or shut up at this point.

You've got a better chance of becoming the 1,000 ghost in the haunted mansion.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
Listening to the whole town hall was painful. It’s truly amazing the arrogance and narcissism on display from Bob to claim the “fixing” stage is over and they can start building.

Bob never gave up his office in Burbank. Chapek was never really in charge. He’s the one who broke everything he’s claimed to fix. It’s like the guy hitting you telling you to stop hitting yourself.

co10064

Premium Member
With regards to the "7 lands" comment, I don't think Disney actually has plans for seven specific lands in mind.

I think a lot of people read Iger's words as literal, but in a lot of these panels and shareholder meetings, I actually don't think they are.

Consider all the buzz in 2015, which Iger's words suggested a new name was coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios. That never happened.

Then just last year, Iger "announced" Frozen 3, Toy Story 5, and the Disneyland Avatar experience. None of those things had been publicly shared, and even the company's own producers and screenwriters were surprised.

I think Iger speaks a lot to things that are being discussed internally, but none that are definitive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom