News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

Exactly. Cars land doesn't fit but a speedway has been there since day 1? 😄 I would support a Cars land if the speedway goes with it.
Cars as an attraction somewhere in the park is fine, but Magic Kingdom shouldn't have single-IP lands, in my opinion. Honestly, none of them should have it, but if they're going to keep doing that, containing the damage to Hollywood Studios is ideal (and Pandora, I guess).

yensidtlaw1969

Exactly. Cars land doesn't fit but a speedway has been there since day 1? 😄 I would support a Cars land if the speedway goes with it.
If TRON had been built behind Big Thunder people would be just as quick to say it doesn't fit. Not because it doesn't fit in MK, but because it doesn't fit in that part of MK.

Not particularly a fan of the Speedway myself, for the record. Disney could and should do much better by both that plot of land and the audience the Speedway serves.

Once again it seems to bear repeating, Cars Land is not in consideration for MK expansion.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Cars as an attraction somewhere in the park is fine, but Magic Kingdom shouldn't have single-IP lands, in my opinion. Honestly, none of them should have it, but if they're going to keep doing that, containing the damage to Hollywood Studios is ideal (and Pandora, I guess).
I know a lot of people don't like, but I really enjoy a large single-IP land. They are often my favorite part of a park, because I love being that immersed. I agree it shouldn't be the only thing built or even the majority. But when done right, I think it's really special. I really love Galaxy's Edge and Pandora - even though I think both could use some extra investment/live entertainment.

When I visited Avengers land in Cali, I was supremely disappointed, however. Like anything, it's how you do it.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Disney should make peace with Mel Brooks... then convert the Star Cruiser to "Space Balls", build a "Blazing Saddles" land behind Big Thunder Mountain, and a "Young Frankenstein" land in DHS to compete with Epic Universe's "Dark Universe" (yes, I realize that there are countless reasons why this will never happen and should never happen).

Sectorkeeper71

Single IP lands should only work with very specific franchises imo. Things like Star Wars and Harry Potter are a no brainer because they’re cultural phenomenons. Even Toy Story and frozen have tons of staying power.

I’ve always argued with pandora that it shows that non IP lands could work to this day, because I don’t think avatar has that same cultural impact as the above. It’s popular because it’s well done, not because people have this love for the property like Star Wars or potter

UNCgolf

I know a lot of people don't like, but I really enjoy a large single-IP land. They are often my favorite part of a park, because I love being that immersed. I agree it shouldn't be the only thing built or even the majority. But when done right, I think it's really special. I really love Galaxy's Edge and Pandora - even though I think both could use some extra investment/live entertainment.

When I visited Avengers land in Cali, I was supremely disappointed, however. Like anything, it's how you do it.

I think the problem with single IP lands is that there aren't that many IPs that are really conducive to one, especially from a business perspective. It needs to be popular enough for the IP itself to be a draw, but it also needs to have an interesting/unique setting that makes a whole land work. Plus, there needs to be enough in the IP to support multiple attractions, shops, and restaurants.

Harry Potter works there, and Star Wars kind of works (it's a bit weaker on the setting part, especially as built, but the props help a lot). Pandora is a bit iffy on the popularity part -- obviously the movies have been incredibly successful, but it doesn't seem to have that much cultural penetration beyond the movies themselves -- but the setting works on its own even without any interest or knowledge of the IP.

Avengers Campus fails on the setting part, and I don't know that an interesting way to build that land even exists. Seems like it would always feel kind of generic.

Last edited:

Sectorkeeper71

I think the problem with single IP lands is that there aren't that many IPs that are really conducive to one, especially from a business perspective. It needs to be popular enough for the IP itself to be a draw, but it also needs to have an interesting/unique setting that makes a whole land work. Plus, there needs to be enough in the IP to ideally support multiple attractions, shops, and restaurants.

Harry Potter works there, and Star Wars kind of works (it's a bit weaker on the setting part, especially as built, but the props help a lot). Pandora is a bit iffy on the popularity part -- obviously the movies have been incredibly successful, but it doesn't seem to have that much cultural penetration beyond the movies themselves -- but the setting works on its own even without any interest or knowledge of the IP.

Avengers Campus fails on the setting part, and I don't know that an interesting way to build that land even exists. Seems like it would always feel kind of generic.
I kinda like super hero island at universal in that it doesn’t try to have a realistic place setting, but comic book quirkiness. Granted Disney is trying to make lands based off their movie IP, but I think you’ll run into the issue with setting as you always said

Purduevian

I wonder if all versions of black panther are off limits or just the king T'Challa version?

Like I'm not sure if Disney can use Iron Patriot even though Iron Man is off limits?

FigmentFan82

Without Black Panther, Wakanda is kind of moot...It would be like having a ride in Cinderella's castle, but the ride features her unknown half sister Debbierella... I mean, What's the point?
very true and probably why even if wakanda is a popular idea within WDI it wouldn't get far enough along to becoming a reality. many here have armchaired a wakanda outreach post where you learn about the customs, culture and tech of Wakanda could be a neat thing, but yeah, the real anchor would always be BP him/herself which currently can't happen

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Black panther is off limits, but since Universal has already shut down Spider-Man overseas, I wouldn't be too shocked if Marvel finds a way to get back all Marvel rights or at least some of them. Getting back a few characters Universal doesn't really use or have rides for seems like something they could negotiate - if they really wanted to build a Wakanda.

Roger_the_pianist

I was joking about Simpsons in MK. Studios seems like the only place it could work at all.

OR MAYBE SIMPSONS IS THE FIFTH GATE. You walk down Main Street Springfield, USA towards Krusty's Kastle, which leads into Itchy and Scratchy Land, and there's an unhinged animatronic parade twice a day.

(still kidding)

I dunno if Disney will seriously put The Simpsons in a park. It's still weird to me to see them on Disney+

capsshield

If disney wanted to compete with universals monster land they could use Marvel comics easily as a dark universe.
Werewolf by night
Tomb of Dracula
Frankenstein monster
The living mummy
The man thing
Blade
Ghost Rider
Dr. Strange
Morbius the living vampire
Mephesto
Cloak and Dagger
Or better yet they could use Marvel's western characters as an expansion of beyond big thunder mountain
Two gun kid
Rawhide kid
Red wolf
Phantom rider
Or
how about a version of grizzly gultch

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I was joking about Simpsons in MK. Studios seems like the only place it could work at all.

OR MAYBE SIMPSONS IS THE FIFTH GATE. You walk down Main Street Springfield, USA towards Krusty's Kastle, which leads into Itchy and Scratchy Land, and there's an unhinged animatronic parade twice a day.

(still kidding)

I dunno if Disney will seriously put The Simpsons in a park. It's still weird to me to see them on Disney+
I'm such a mess cause I would love a full Simpsons gate and tbh I haven't watched in years and years, but I still love all the characters and town so much.

But yeah, they belong in HS.

Roger_the_pianist

The monster land at Epic seems like it will push towards Disney to do Villans land. The Disney Villans are way more relevant to modern audiences than the Universal monsters.

I want a stand alone Nightmare Before Christmas ride, something Ursula that is not a spinner, Maleficent's Castle and some attraction with the dragon, some kind of coaster.

Rich Brownn

Black panther is off limits, but since Universal has already shut down Spider-Man overseas, I wouldn't be too shocked if Marvel finds a way to get back all Marvel rights or at least some of them. Getting back a few characters Universal doesn't really use or have rides for seems like something they could negotiate - if they really wanted to build a Wakanda.
It's a pipe dream. Universal has the rights forever and there is no reason - financial, attendance, exposure - for them to give them up. Especially considering the sweetheart deal they got on paying commission

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom