Rumors. Musings. Casual.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Hopium, lol

Meanwhile, what are the chances Disney gets bought out entirely by Apple or another company?

I don't believe that Apple would touch DIS with a 10 foot pole as they cant exert their typical tight controls over everything ... Hmm like Disney use to have. But then again, they could buy and divest those portions they dont want.... one of the less attractive solutions.

Copium is next up in the pill tray ?

Willmark

Hulu is gonna force some extreme actions. Bob Iger made a bad deal and Comcast is collecting the check. This is the single biggest reason why Disney only has bad options ahead.

Also their inbound revenue this year is gonna underperform and that’s one more way options are fading fast.
Sounds like they are out of options anyways.

The company relied on a never ending stream of park goes funding other areas of the company.

They stopped innovating and started buying up everything in sight which costs $

Add in customers have been scaling back expenses and entertainment, expensive entertainment at that is the first to go. Throw in a big old pile of inflation?

And for good measure flush money down the toilet on movies in 2023 (they would have been as equally successful if they lit it on fire; same outcome really)

Add in no ability to alleviate the issues?

So I have to ask. If we can see the issues without any of the data and Disney is staring at the same thing with the data, how are they planning to deal with it? Close their eyes and hope for better days?

I mean, Hell. If I close my eyes and wish really hard I can imagine Kate Beckinsale is my wife! Doesn't make it so when I get snapped back to reality.

Also- all of this is predicated on nothing else going wrong. Life, fate what have you, always has a sense of humor like that...

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So now that we've unpacked that the SS Disney is steaming straight ahead at the iceberg, what do they do now?

The obvious answers is they should have course corrected on some of this years ago. So is it just rearranging the deck chairs or something else?

"Oh look the band has started playing out on the promenade and the life boats are being lowered, probably just coincidence."
The first move is to get new management

…yesterday

PREMiERdrum

This time last year, booking outlay showed a few really heavy weeks surrounded by light to moderate periods.

Today, the booking outlay is absolutely abysmal... including some of the "big" weeks.

They are slowly pulling the discount lever, understanding the desperate need to increase onsite volume. It's happening incrementally.

Keep refreshing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This time last year, booking outlay showed a few really heavy weeks surrounded by light to moderate periods.

Today, the booking outlay is absolutely abysmal... including some of the "big" weeks.

They are slowly pulling the discount lever, understanding the desperate need to increase onsite volume. It's happening incrementally.

Keep refreshing.
…well connected travel agent speaking…we should believe this guy

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

Keep refreshing.

That's across the board though, not Disney specific.

Anecdotal for sure, but just in the past few weeks, Universal discounted our AP renewals and gave us another 3 months if we paid in full. It was a no brainer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's across the board though, not Disney specific.

Anecdotal for sure, but just in the past few weeks, Universal discounted our AP renewals and gave us another 3 months if we paid in full. It was a no brainer.
It’s a phenomenon that seems to be only on I-4

Regionals aren’t having problems (more than usual)…city tourism is up…the cruise lines are booming

The California parks are strong

So what is it about Orlando?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney is too expensive for the average American, interest rates mean that financing a Disney vacation through other means is a non-starter, and the high $USD makes a US vacation even more expensive for international travelers.

Anyway.

…I think you hit the target, maverick

Simply - it’s too expensive to whack people for a week. It’s also explains why universal is having a similar issue.

Other places are so much cheaper

It’s costs $10,000 a week all in. That’s up somewhere between 200-300% since the housing crash. Their market has nowhere near that kinda travel income increase.

It’s too much each day for too long. And the result of ill advised price increases across the board that appear to hit zero barrier in March of 2023.

It what’s always a “when?”…not an “if?”

That’s on Bob.

He came back to watch it hit. what a fool

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

mkt

Premium Member
…I think you hit the target, maverick

Simply - it’s too expensive to whack people for a week. It’s also explains why universal is having a similar issue.

Other places are no much cheaper

It’s costs $10,000 a week all in. That’s up somewhere between 200-300% since the housing crash. Their market has nowhere near that kinda travel income increase.

It’s too much each day for too long. And the result of ill advised price increases across the board that appear to hit zero barrier in March of 2023.

It what’s always a “when?”…not an “if?”

That’s on Bob.

He came back to watch it hit. what a fool
Not long ago I priced out a week in Belgium and the Netherlands from a city in the southeastern US that I might be moving to vs a week in WDW from the same location.

Travel time would be similar (9 hour flight+5 hours in ground transportation & logistical waiting vs 14 hour drive)

Using similarly rated/ranked lodging and restaurants for our budget, going to Europe was a little more than half the price of WDW current exchange rate. And if I were to go to cheaper European destinations, it could be even less.

TrainsOfDisney

Not long ago I priced out a week in Belgium and the Netherlands from a city in the southeastern US that I might be moving to vs a week in WDW from the same location.

Travel time would be similar (9 hour flight+5 hours in ground transportation & logistical waiting vs 14 hour drive)

Using similarly rated/ranked lodging and restaurants for our budget, going to Europe was a little more than half the price of WDW current exchange rate. And if I were to go to cheaper European destinations, it could be even less.
I’d be interested to see the math on this. What attractions / activities did you factor in?
What level of resort at WDW?

Disney World prices are high, but you can still make them make sense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

We do those comps a lot…

Ski trips to elite locations - which were always considered “above” Florida trips…can be had for less

Longer European tours for the same or less

Cruises on completely decked out new superships…NOT dcl…for half as much.

They have outkicked their coverage…the customer pool has sprung a leak and they have no way to respond beyond discounts that they have promised their shareholders would never be necessary again…because Bob bought and misunderstood Star Wars 🙄…are not enough.

It’s all come together.

mkt

Premium Member
I’d be interested to see the math on this. What attractions / activities did you factor in?
What level of resort at WDW?

Disney World prices are high, but you can still make them make sense.
I owe you the exact math, since this was a while ago.

The comps were 3* hotels, so Marriott/Hilton vs Coronado and the like.

Travel was for 2 using discounted fares out of DC area airports and public transit locally once in Europe.

Attractions and activities were mostly sightseeing, historic sights, museums, and loads of drinking in Belgium. And while museums can add up, we can do several for less than a day at WDW.

Dining would be cheaper.

Again though exchange rate helps a lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom