News Free Dining Plan announced for Disney+ subscribers at Walt Disney World

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Starting Jan. 3, 2024, Disney+ subscribers can get a FREE dining plan when purchasing a non-discounted 4-night, 4-day Walt Disney Travel Company package that includes a room at a select Disney Resort hotel and theme park ticket with a Park Hopper option. This offer is valid for arrivals most nights July 1 through Sept. 30, 2024. Visit DisneyWorld.com/SpecialOffers beginning Jan. 3 for additional offer details!* And, to learn more about other perks available to Disney+ subscribers, click here."

Lirael

Since this newest offer starts at July, can I assume no new discount offer from hereon will include previous months (April, May, June)?

Patcheslee

For once it's during our stay. Don't know if we'll still do it or not, depends on circumstances. i.e. we're all "adults"

monothingie

Turn those machines back on!
Premium Member
Since this newest offer starts at July, can I assume no new discount offer from hereon will include previous months (April, May, June)?
People tend to plan and book summer vacations months out. Last summer was not a great summer and I suspect they are acting preemptively to get ahead of repeating any soft booking issues.

I still would expect the usual cadre of discounts, including AP Discounts, but the new synergistic approach is to couple discounts with other Disney divisions (D+ has to make a profit right by 2024 or else...). It didn't seem to work last year, but maybe with D+ and Hulu being heavily discounted $12 for 12 Months it may draw in some people.

Either way Free Dining is a trap. Do the math first and make sure it works for you. Rack rate on Disney Hotels is almost never worth free dining.

monothingie

Turn those machines back on!
Premium Member
For once it's during our stay. Don't know if we'll still do it or not, depends on circumstances. i.e. we're all "adults"
Its A Trap GIF by Star Wars

jinx8402

People tend to plan and book summer vacations months out. Last summer was not a great summer and I suspect they are acting preemptively to get ahead of repeating any soft booking issues.

I still would expect the usual cadre of discounts, including AP Discounts, but the new synergistic approach is to couple discounts with other Disney divisions (D+ has to make a profit right by 2024 or else...). It didn't seem to work last year, but maybe with D+ and Hulu being heavily discounted $12 for 12 Months it may draw in some people.

Either way Free Dining is a trap. Do the math first and make sure it works for you. Rack rate on Disney Hotels is almost never worth free dining.
Agree with pretty much all of this.

If staying at a value resort it is almost always worth it. Moderates takes some napkin math to figure out and almost assuredly deluxe is better taking a rate discount (if available).

TheMaxRebo

Agree with pretty much all of this.

If staying at a value resort it is almost always worth it. Moderates takes some napkin math to figure out and almost assuredly deluxe is better taking a rate discount (if available).

Also depends how many people in the room as the dining plan is per person but a room discount is per room

So 4 people in a value room the dining plan deal likely works out better but 2 people in a deluxe the room discount will be better

Also, this deal requires you to buy hopper tickets so hav to factor that cost in as well if one wasn't planning on getting hoppers

Nevermore525

So summer is for now the softer season for the parks after years of being more of a peak time.

There were signs of that brewing in 2019 and it seems mindsets changed faster over the closure/reopening years and now the summer has become less packed.

TheMaxRebo

Gold Rush GIF by Discovery

It is HOW they are offering "Free Dining". When you pay so much for Disney+and get less content, plus paying full price for the room is it a bargain? To boost subscriber numbers on paper by offering this seems " fishy".

Seems like smart cross promotion to me 🤷‍♂️

Maybe gets a few more D+ subscribers and provides a benefit to those already subscribed/builds on brand loyalty

JD80

Free Dining vs. Rack Rate Discounts, like @TheMaxRebo said really depends on occupancy.

Using July 22 2024 as a point of reference.
Using 2023 Discounts Deluxe 25%, Moderate, 20%, Value 15% from Summer

5 People Rack Rates:
Value - All Star Music - $423
Moderate - CBR - $319 (this is a steal imo)
Deluxe - Beach Club $559

Discount Totals:
Value - $64
Moderate - $64
Deluxe - $140

For Deluxe:
DDP - $94.28 per Adult, $29.69 per Kid
3 Adults 2 Kids - $342.22 per day
2 Adults 3 Kids - $277.63 per day

For Everyone Else:
QSDP - $57.01 per Adult, $23.83 per Child
3 Adults 2 Kids - $218.69 per day (Upgrade cost - $123.53)
2 Adults 3 Kids - $185.51 per day (Upgrade cost - $92.12)

4 Day Ticket > Hopper Ticket is a $90 premium across 4 days (Adult and Child)
$90 x 5 = $450

So if you're staying at a moderate and you want the DDP on a 6 night 7 day stay with 4 tickets at the end of July: As 3 Adults and 2 Kids (Parents with a 11, 9 and 6 yo)

Rack Rate Discount: $384.00
Free Dining Cost: $1,191.18 with a DDP upgrade OR $450 with quick service with just the hopper premium.

Using my last trip from two weeks ago as a baseline the question becomes how much do you spend on food in a 6 night stay. Our typical quick service meal was roughly $55 to $70 without beverages. and snacks were $30-40. The quick service plan would break us even most likely on face value.

So we would either save $384 on a rack rate discount or $1,113.06 if we were planning on hoppers or $663.06 if we were not planning on hoppers.

Obviously the savings scale based on occupancy and how many adults you have in the room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom