News Disney Jollywood Nights - Disney's Hollywood Studios Holiday Season ticketed event

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Did you try any of the food ?
20231204_205314.jpg

JMcMahonEsq

I think a Christmas cavalcade/parade would go a long way, and it definitely needs to be an hour longer.
The hour longer/later I think would help, especially as it felt to us like this event was trying to target/market towards an older adult demographic. Though I agree the night we went there were more young kids than we thought would be there.

As to the Christmas parade/cavcades, I am not sure they should be added. Don’t get me wrong we (both adults and kids) like the ones at the Christmas party, and they are popular in general so I can see the basis for adding it here. But on the other hand I kind of liked the idea of this party being something a little different. Yes there were growing pains with it but I think offering a unique differnt event, maybe targeted specifically for a separate demographic is a good idea, as opposed to just trying to expand Xmas party offerings to other parks.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
The other issue with a parade is that it shifts demand from other areas (the shows and lounges) and leaves a lull in those spots but then increase demand on either side of the parade. With a hypothetical 10:15 or 10:45 parade (can't really do 10:00 or 10:30 because of crowds leaving of approaching Hyperion Theater), fewer people watch the 10:30 What's This and increase demand at other show times, and at least with 8:30 and 9:30 shows pretty full that may not work well.

Of course, with an extra hour this is less of an issue because demand can be more easily spread. If starting at 7:30 instead of 8:30 it'd be great to add an extra show, but alternatively there just be an hour somewhere without shows and in that hour a parade could be held without negative ops effects.

drew81

After experiencing Jollywood, it’s still mediocre at best. It’s kind of like watching a ResortTV1 livestream-meh, uninspiring and awkwardly thrown together.

The event definitely needs more. Even with the additional characters added, it needs more. Extra mix-in time and an additional hour of party time would be the first change. It also needs other entertainment offerings for the current price point.

The event leaves you wanting more. At least for me it did. There’s no wow to this event. Maybe Vazanna can get additional offerings if they bring it back for 2024?

Andrew25

I still don't get the appeal of the event.

Jollywood ($179 for 1 Night): 3 Shows*, Unique F&B, 9 Rides
HHN ($179 for 10+ Nights w/ Rush of Fear "Season" Pass): 10 Well-Themed Houses, 1 Live Show, 5 Zones, 5 Rides, Unique F&B

It's amazing how Disney can get away with charging $179 for a poorly-themed event with very few things to do and Universal is essentially building 10 world-class** attractions for only 2 months of use each year.

*Being nice, but 1 was previously free.
**Ignoring Chucky from this year's event lol

asianway

I still don't get the appeal of the event.

Jollywood ($179 for 1 Night): 3 Shows*, Unique F&B, 9 Rides
HHN ($179 for 10+ Nights w/ Rush of Fear "Season" Pass): 10 Well-Themed Houses, 1 Live Show, 5 Zones, 5 Rides, Unique F&B

It's amazing how Disney can get away with charging $179 for a poorly-themed event with very few things to do and Universal is essentially building 10 world-class** attractions for only 2 months of use each year.

*Being nice, but 1 was previously free.
**Ignoring Chucky from this year's event lol
Where’s @WDW1974 ? We’ve reached peak Wal-Marting

SpectreJordan

good point - I have heard that too

Also use more of the park - have Toy Story characters meet in Toy Story Land, do something Life Day related in Galaxy's Edge and have Chewbacca in his Life Day robe meet - things like that
Doesn't Disneyland have Christmas outfits for the TS cast? How did this event not have those?

MagicHappens1971

After finally experiencing the event earlier this week, my review/opinions would be as follows:

- Earlier mix-in time would help justify this higher price point
- The Holidays in Hollywood show is fantastic! More offerings like this would've been a plus.
- The singalong was just blah. If it wasn't for the Jack puppet it would probably be a 2/10. It was a cheap and easy offering for them to add to the event. I know nothing for Disney is actually cheap, but they took a puppet they already built, did some choreo, threw up some tapestries & Christmas lights and called it a day.
- The M&G's (even the added ones) were not enough. For more than a few reasons, first and foremost, I have never seen Disney manage M&Gs as haphazardly as they did for this event. Queuing and not knowing for sure who you would get makes absolutely 0 sense. Furthermore, for the price they are charging, there should be little to no gap between sets. Santa Duffy's line was a hot mess, it would just close with no idea of when it would re-open. When all was said and done, we waited nearly an hour for Duffy to just return to his spot, and he was gone longer than that. The other issue was the variety of characters. There is no reason that characters who meet regularly are being brought out for an event like this.
- Offerings like Tip Top club & Brown Derby were sold as a big deal for the event and were extremely lackluster. Tip Top Club should've at least been in the courtyard upstairs. If they needed to close ToT for the event to accommodate something like this, it would've been a plus.
- Minnie's Wonderful Christimastime fireworks are 10x better than Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam. With the even more limited pyro this show is extremely mediocre.
- Lack of any type of "free" offering, the Gertie cookies & hot cocoa should've been complimentary.
- The event being so limited in it's spread, Toy Story Land could've easily been included in this event. Trot Lotso out in a Santa hat, a holiday overlay for TSM, literally anything. The park felt very "dead" outside of Hollywood Blvd & Sunset Blvd.
- The event should be at least an hour longer, and include a parade and another show of some sorts.
- Also can we cut this DJ nonsense? Like I don't get it, it doesn't actually add anything to the party, take that budget and do something else with it.
- For an event so centered around snacking/drinking there is not nearly enough time to try more than one or two things and experience the party to the fullest

This event needs some serious retooling for me to have any interest in doing it again.

JohnD

100% chance of rain on Saturday. If it's really not worth it when dry and while I was going to keep an open mind, I think I'll be miserable now. I'm heavily leaning cancelling. OTOH, I'm blocked out with my Pixie Pass and staying on site through Tuesday. What else am I going to do?

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
100% chance of rain on Saturday. If it's really not worth it when dry and while I was going to keep an open mind, I think I'll be miserable now. I'm heavily leaning cancelling. OTOH, I'm blocked out with my Pixie Pass and staying on site through Tuesday. What else am I going to do?
You can ask of they'll let you apply to a Very Merry party. I'm sure they're sold out but it doesn't hurt to ask. If seeking as not looking for a refund and just applying to another event, you may have a better chance for pixie dust.

If you go, you'd spend almost 90 minutes between 2 shows and waling between, and the shows are at least covered. I thought the special photo in animation courtyard building was fun, and it's indoors. There's the Brown Derby thing. Doing these things will put you at about 3 hours. I realize I'm reaching a little here because there's plenty of outdoor stuff at risk, but hopefully gives some hope.

JohnD

You can ask of they'll let you apply to a Very Merry party. I'm sure they're sold out but it doesn't hurt to ask. If seeking as not looking for a refund and just applying to another event, you may have a better chance for pixie dust.

If you go, you'd spend almost 90 minutes between 2 shows and waling between, and the shows are at least covered. I thought the special photo in animation courtyard building was fun, and it's indoors. There's the Brown Derby thing. Doing these things will put you at about 3 hours. I realize I'm reaching a little here because there's plenty of outdoor stuff at risk, but hopefully gives some hope.
I already have a ticket to MVMCP so might as well cancel. Thanks for the "stretch" though.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
In retrospective, the Holidays in Hollywood show and the popover food items I showed a picture of were great, the rest, what little there was of it, was just a meh at best. I'd agree with your attempt to cancel with the weather.

JohnD

In retrospective, the Holidays in Hollywood show and the popover food items I showed a picture of were great, the rest, what little there was of it, was just a meh at best. I'd agree with your attempt to cancel with the weather.
I rescheduled to 12/18. It's my AK Day anyway and I'll be through with the park long before 7pm. I'll go to a movie at AMC Sat. Maybe Wonka.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom