Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t understand all the fluster around this massive flop.

This movie will break even when Disney pays itself 100’s of millions for streaming rights.

Problem solved.
Stupid isn’t it?

Even the premise is lost…
D+ will “make money” with massive subs they can then flip to advertisers for big, 1990’s money to reach eyes…

What could go wrong?

Of course…shows that aren’t watched and flops on your LCD tv…don’t…generate…either of those…

Hmmmm

MarvelCharacterNerd

Let’s recap - Disney spent an enormous $275M (before rebates) on a massive tentpole film and then put out the below promotional images.

And remember, this apparently is NOT a parody (at least not intentionally).

It is a mystery wrapped in a riddle why it is bombing around the world.

View attachment 753718

View attachment 753719

View attachment 753720

View attachment 753721

View attachment 753722
And the middle three pics are exactly why I'm looking forward to seeing this film. :)

TalkingHead

Kinda funny the corner they’ve painted themselves into.

The budgets are out of control in part because these things are wall-to-wall VFX shots. They’re not made by people who are shrewd enough to understand how in-camera can be more effective and less costly.

Cut the budget on VFX and the quality suffers more, which was never really impressive to begin with. Cut the budgets by hiring less name talent, and you lose audiences who lose interest due to a lack of star talent.

Bring back the old cast and it’ll cost so much it’ll need to make SW Episode 7 or 8 money to turn a profit, and really what’s the likelihood Downey would sign up for more than a one-off appearance?

The goal is to hook audiences to keep them coming back. But the amount of Marvel content is so sprawling that they’ve lost the general audiences who contributed to the early phases’ success.

So, yeah, the post mortem on this should be fun but there’s little chance that Feige and Iger right the ship on this one. Marvel’s best days are in the past.

As some of us have been saying for months, Disney’s feature film outlook is dire.

_caleb

That “debate” has been going on for 6 months and it’s not really much of one…

They can’t bomb movies to pursue change. It’s a business…with stock. They have to stop the bleeding. It’s really not that hard.
Of course they can. That’s literally what they’re doing. Also, if “it’s not that hard,” why do you think they don’t just go back to the surefire formula? Seriously? Why would they lose billions at the box office if “it’s really not that hard?”

CaptainMickey

Perlmutter is the one who set up the system that required studios to crank out Marvel films on a schedule regardless of quality. That was his vision. He did not care about telling a good story.
Then why were the movies extremely profitable and well received when he was Marvel CEO but now that he is gone the opposite seems to be true? I love how the "we don't like his politics crowd" says he had absolutely nothing to do with Marvels success but now that he is gone, Marvel can't seem to make a profitable movie after his core character storylines ended. Maybe he had a little more to do with the MCU's formula of success then some want to admit. Sure blame the pandemic, streaming, changing markets. Spiderman, Barbie, Super Mario can make billion. There is no excuse, from a stockholders perspective for this kind of low box office number for any Marvel title. It's not working, they need to make some big changes.

lazyboy97o

Then why were the movies extremely profitable and well received when he was Marvel CEO but now that he is gone the opposite seems to be true? I love how the "we don't like his politics crowd" says he had absolutely nothing to do with Marvels success but now that he is gone, Marvel can't seem to make a profitable movie after his core character storylines ended. Maybe he had a little more to do with the MCU's formula of success then some want to admit. Sure blame the pandemic, streaming, changing markets. Spiderman, Barbie, Super Mario can make billion. There is no excuse, from a stockholders perspective for this kind of low box office number for any Marvel title. It's not working, they need to make some big changes.
Marvel Studios was moved out of Marvel Entertainment in 2015.

doctornick

Honestly, I don’t really understand why The Marvels is going to bomb. Everything about the movie looks to me just like the rest of “classic” MCU that always sold so well - humor, character interactions, some ill defined “bad guy” that needs to be stopped and some action set pieces. It seems to come down to I guess women/diverse leads being the issue? That just seems so odd to me, especially after Black Panther’s success so I dunno.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Honestly, I don’t really understand why The Marvels is going to bomb. Everything about the movie looks to me just like the rest of “classic” MCU that always sold so well - humor, character interactions, some ill defined “bad guy” that needs to be stopped and some action set pieces. It seems to come down to I guess women/diverse leads being the issue? That just seems so odd to me, especially after Black Panther’s success so I dunno.
I agree, having seen it it does feel more like classic MCU. Maybe some of it is what you say. But its possible that many are just waiting as they felt they got burned by other MCU movies post End Game. Who knows. It'll be interesting to see how it does in the weeks to come.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think it’s a combination of several reasons.

It’s based on 3 characters, 2 of them most people have never heard of. They should have named it Captain Marvel 2 for name recognition.

Marvel has been struggling since Endgame. Guardians 3 made less than G2, Thor Love made less than Ragnarok, Panther 2 made less than Panther one… everything before Endgame was must see for everyone, everything after isn’t.

Disney has an image problem with a substantial part of the country.

The current overall story is a mess, nothing goes together, Elementals, Shang Chi, the D+ shows, it’s all disjointed.

A lot of people are just waiting for D+.

Theaters are struggling.

Super Hero fatigue.

A lot of those things are out of Disneys control but a lot of them are self inflicted also.

LSLS

They had been planning to build towards Kang as the Thanos of this and the next phase of films.

Given how the last few films have been received, the reconfigured productions on what’s been filmed already, I suspect it’ll leak in a few weeks that the MCU is course correcting (likely in Variety or something during a lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas).
They planned Kang, but the problem is that is the planned meet up to bring it all together. Before they meet up after like 4-5 films every time. And they had fury cameos always bringing things together. We are through at least a dozen things and none of that has happened, so now you are in a place where you have like 30 characters who's stories have been told to some extent running around with only a handful having any noticeable connections to each other. It's just all been far too disjointed. I'll stand by the idea that this, the cost of going to movies, and the Disney plus release schedules are the biggest factors in how this movie is doing

Last edited by a moderator:

Casper Gutman

They planned Kang, but the problem is that is the planned meet up to bring it all together. Before they meet up after like 4-5 films every time. And they had fury cameos always bringing things together. We are through at least a dozen things and none of that has happened, so now you are in a place where you have like 30 characters who's stories have been told to some extent running around with only a handful having any noticeable connections to each other. It's just all been far too disjointed. I'll stand by the idea that this, the cost of going to movies, and the Disney plus release schedules are the biggest factors in how this movie is doing
A lot of things are contributing to Marvel’s struggles, but one big one, perhaps Fiege’s biggest mistake to date, is not having an Avengers in the middle of this run of films.

Casper Gutman

Then why were the movies extremely profitable and well received when he was Marvel CEO but now that he is gone the opposite seems to be true? I love how the "we don't like his politics crowd" says he had absolutely nothing to do with Marvels success but now that he is gone, Marvel can't seem to make a profitable movie after his core character storylines ended. Maybe he had a little more to do with the MCU's formula of success than some want to admit. Sure blame the pandemic, streaming, changing markets. Spiderman, Barbie, Super Mario can make billion. There is no excuse, from a stockholders perspective for this kind of low box office number for any Marvel title. It's not working, they need to make some big changes.
Marvel and MCU fans knew Perlmutter was a problem long before his politics became evident. The engines of Marvel’s screen success were Avi Arad and, later, Feige, who Perlmutter loathed and tried to destroy at the height of the MCU’s success. At no point did Perlmutter care in the slightest about creative issues or about Marvel traditions - he killed the Fantastic Four comic for years because he had a baseless grudge against Fox, which in Marvel terms is like killing Mickey Mouse. The Inhumans TV show was largely him. There are lots of books and articles about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tha Realest

A lot of things are contributing to Marvel’s struggles, but one big one, perhaps Fiege’s biggest mistake to date, is not having an Avengers in the middle of this run of films.
But they’re building towards Young Avengers, which leans even more heavily towards the stars of TV shows with comparatively much smaller audiences.

It’s the TV shows. They’ve diminished and spread thin the brand.

Casper Gutman

And they are making movies with tentpole production budgets and marketing campaigns for TV sized talent and characters.

You don’t spend “Titanic” money on “The Love Boat” movie.
The stars of the TV shows are film-level stars, like Hailee Stienfeld, and many of the MCU film stars, like Hemsworth, came from TV.

I do think the TV shows were an issue - the public still seems to make a distinction between TV and film, and the TV shows, while having some excellent entries, were less even then the films.

Tony the Tigger

I think all the interconnectedness can be a blessing and a curse.

I’m sure I’m not alone when I say I did not go to theaters for every Marvel film. I picked and chose here and there based on what looked interesting to me. Sometimes I saw a first installment on TV, and then went to the theater for the sequel. I was resistant to the whole thing to be honest. I never got into the Avengers as a kid.

Turns out I’m more of an Ant-Man/Guardians kind of guy - light, fun, action.

I was very hesitant to see Ant Man 3 because I had heard how tied in it was to the Avengers films, and I hadn’t seen any of those. That kept me away from the theater until I talked with a friend who had seen it, and he assured me I’d get it and enjoy it; and he told me what I needed to know Re: Thanos.

I did go. I did enjoy it. And in fact, that prompted me to watch the Avengers films.

I can see some people thinking the same about The Marvels because we keep hearing things to suggest we should have first seen Ms. Marvel, Wandavision, etc. and I’m sure a lot of people haven’t. Wandavision is not fresh in my mind and I can barely place Monica(?) in that show.

I just started Ms. Marvel. It feels like “Never Have I Ever” with a superhero aspect.

So there may be a “catching up” delay before I see it.

CaptainMickey

he killed the Fantastic Four comic for years because he had a baseless grudge against Fox, which in Marvel terms is like killing Mickey Mouse. The Inhumans TV show was largely him. There are lots of books and articles about this.
Baseless grudge? 🤣
That directive came from Disney when they purchases Marvel because they didn't own the movie rights to Fantastic Four and Fox was making most of the profits from that franchise. Disney decided that if they are going to do the work and create some great new stories, let make them for a franchise that we have the rights to (Inhumans) and can actually make some movies and money on.

Kind of like when Walt stopped making Oswald content (his main character) when Universal had the rights. Walt moved his energy to a new character he controlled, Mickey Mouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom