First timer thoughts from Hong Kong Disneyland

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’ve been asked about what we thought of HKDL so thought I shouldn’t clutter the other thread. We just came back from our first visit with 6 days in the park, staying at the HKDL Hotel. I guess I should post a disclaimer that our research paid off and it was relatively quiet aside from weekend, and good weather.

In a word, wow. Show quality is great. The park and resort is spotless. Landscaping is exceptional. But the cast members… from greeters to restaurants, hotels to cafes the cast were some of the warmest, friendliest, most helpful and just genuinely happy we’ve ever met. Cast were also consistently proactive; for example managing queue layouts and adjusting as needed before it became a problem. A joy to watch. Language wasn’t an issue. We may have had more special treatment being obviously foreign tourists, I don’t know, but we were pleasantly shocked with the cast. Amazing wouldn’t be too strong a word. Example, we did the Nightmare Before Dinner show. Dialogue was in Mandarin and Cantonese. So our server came to the table to quietly explain and demonstrate what was being said (mixing the soup in a certain way to change colour) and then the manager came to apologise and explain they didn’t have time to spiel in all languages hence the one to one. Perfect customer service (and the dinner show is highly recommended on all counts) - indeed, we didn’t have a bad meal anywhere. Nor a good one. Every meal from snacks to table serve to buffets were truly excellent.

Thankfully the park itself has grown since opening. Does it need more? Yes. Did we get bored in six days? No. I can’t help thinking the addition of the Avengers E and a (Pirates) flume would elevate it far above Shanghai (which we’ve yet to try). As it is it has to be close - 4 unique rides and variations on a theme elsewhere. Fantasyland would benefit from a second dark ride (Festival of Foods is real estate begging to be converted) and I imagine a very wet day with outside attractions closed would be testing. But as I said we had good weather. Parts of the legacy park were obviously budget challenged and then you have Mystic Point (wow), the castle (beautiful and well proportioned in person) and Grizzly Gulch (basically an entire land with the resident coaster travelling all over, under and around it). Iron Man was a fun variation on Star Tours and we found Ant Man to be preferable to Buzz Lightyear (and thoroughly enjoyable and dare I say clever) - and it is nice both feature Hong Kong. Locals seemed to appreciate the nod. Mystic Manor is simply perfect. Small World is a great version once you get past the bizarre queue design (wants to be Anaheim but ends up like Orlando gone wrong) and I should mention Let’s get Wicked and Mickey and the Wondrous Book; 2 stunning live stage shows with the cast doing anything but going through the motions. If you’ve ever wanted a techno pop version of Happily Ever After nows your chance.

I’m happy to say Premiere Access seemed mostly shunned (again YMMV) so queues kept moving. It was Orlando circa 1990. An absolute joy. Wait times were accurate and more than doable, weekdays 20-30 minutes for the Es at peak time with walk ons at random times. Weekends saw highs of 40 minutes - in Orlando you’d jump at 40 minutes for an E ticket. A great time to return to the hotel and its wonderful pool for a few hours. Food prices were comparable with Paris or Orlando and again quality and portion sizes were fantastic. We plumped for the gold Annual Pass since it made sense for more than 3 days with 10-18% off most food and 10% off merchandise. More great cast help at the hotel front desk checked if we had tickets and insisted they could and would convert the AP voucher into physical cards - complete with photos- there and then to save going to the parks guest relations window. Another note on cast; a cynic would call the restaurants over staffed. But it enabled service better than any we’ve seen before. And did I say same day ADRs? Honestly it was a pleasure to be in the park.

The infrastructure for the castle and area is stunning. State of the art projections, lighting and audio from the hub to Town Square really came into play after Momentus with a carnival atmosphere 30 minute post show. Such a great way to end a day (and a stunning main show too)

Post World of Frozen there should thankfully be more coming to the park (verified with a conversation I had) but as it is was, we were so impressed with the park and resort (and city) as a whole if we didn’t already have plans for next year we’d be back without hesitation. 10/10.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some resort pics

IMG_5736.jpeg
IMG_5765.jpeg
IMG_5900.jpeg
IMG_6002.jpeg
IMG_6009.jpeg
IMG_6019.jpeg
IMG_6227.jpeg
IMG_6317.jpeg
IMG_6334.jpeg
IMG_6639.jpeg

Animaniac93-98

I agree with most everything you said, except Ant Man which I thought was underwhelming.

I too stayed at the HKDL hotel when I was there and loved it. Like how WDW deluxe hotels used to be. It's the only one of the three to have a water slide at the pool and it's a pretty good one at that.

I think Fantasyland is where the budget of the original park was most felt. The horses on the carousel looked small and off the shelf in design, compared to DLP. The princess cafeteria is flat and lacking in detail compared to the previous Cinderella restaurants. The tent and castle wall look speaks for itself. Did you notice on Winnie the Pooh how they duplicated the Mr. Toad picture, despite it making no sense for HKDL?

But the park overall looks great, and the resort setting is the most beautiful of any Disney resort, not just because of the mountains and ocean, but how well manicured and arranged the landscaping is. The walk from the hotels to the park is more enjoyable for not having a mall in between.

Was the villain show playing in the Lion King theater? Saw it during its premier year and was very impressed. Did you also get to see the Nightmare Before Christmas walk through HHN-style house?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I agree with most everything you said, except Ant Man which I thought was underwhelming.

I too stayed at the HKDL hotel when I was there and loved it. Like how WDW deluxe hotels used to be. It's the only one of the three to have a water slide at the pool and it's a pretty good one at that.

I think Fantasyland is where the budget of the original park was most felt. The horses on the carousel looked small and off the shelf in design, compared to DLP. The princess cafeteria is flat and lacking in detail compared to the previous Cinderella restaurants. The tent and castle wall look speaks for itself. Did you notice on Winnie the Pooh how they duplicated the Mr. Toad picture, despite it making no sense for HKDL?

But the park overall looks great, and the resort setting is the most beautiful of any Disney resort, not just because of the mountains and ocean, but how well manicured and arranged the landscaping is. The walk from the hotels to the park is more enjoyable for not having a mall in between.

Was the villain show playing in the Lion King theater? Saw it during its premier year and was very impressed. Did you also get to see the Nightmare Before Christmas walk through HHN-style house?
We were pleasantly surprised with Ant Man; the setting worked - especially in the wider Marvel area which also worked IMHO - and I felt it worked better than Buzz would. The more we rode the more I appreciated the placement of set pieces to deliberately give you limited time to hit certain targets. Same for the auto rotation of the cars; take too long as they turned slightly to make you miss. I also thought the set design, audio and overall theming were superior to the cartoon Buzz setting but again IMHO. I’d read the reviews and it was better than expected.

HKDL Hotel was like a six star for us. And we got it on a discount offer 😁. I could say the service was exceptional and that it was spotless but that’s the same for the whole resort. Hollywood Hotel now has a water slide too (not sure about Explorers) but the DL Hotel pool area (outside and indoor pools too no less) really transported us to a Victorian yet tropical setting. A great way to spend a few hours (and with lunch from Sea Breeze poolside no less too )

Fantasyland is perhaps the biggest holdover of the original budget. The expanse of painted concrete from the castle to Dumbo is screaming for some planters and a few trees. Again it could do with a few more dark rides. Facades could be upgraded to match those at the back of the castle. The princess QSR looked budget conscious on the outside but inside was a revelation. So lavish for a QSR food court. Plus the food was amazingly good and affordable (as it was everywhere) - and a mixed grill at a QSR?!

Your third paragraph is spot on. Such a beautiful location that enhances the whole resort no end. Truly magical.

Yes, Lets Get Wicked was playing in Lion King. It’s Excellent. Very reminiscent of Paris in being more edgy and mature than the saccharine treatment US shows tend to get. The Halloween houses stopped a while back. They did have a Cruella stage show party thing that on watching on YouTube we didn’t do. Not for us, but insanely popular (and along with Wicked formed a Halloween “mini land” that was very nice. Especially at night). We did do a Nightmare Before Dinner show that was exceptional and great value. It was the second year it has run and the first without Covid restrictions according to the manager who wanted our opinion. One note about food too - I can’t say we didn’t have a bad meal anywhere. I’d say instead we had exceptional food everywhere. Presentation, taste, quantity, price were all fantastic.

The trip, HK and HKDL really were an eye opener. The park (again) could do with additions. You probably know I’m not easily impressed and we went with high expectations (plus being aware of the parks budget origins) but we really were blown away.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

Did you dine at the Dragon Wind buffet at explorers lodge? On our trip in 2018, may have been the best buffet we’ve ever had.

Service was extraordinary, of course, but I think you’ll find that across the Asian resorts. Our stay at the Shanghai Disneyland resort had the greatest service we’ve literally ever experienced, better than our subsequent (far pricier stay at MiraCosta, which still had great service).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Did you dine at the Dragon Wind buffet at explorers lodge? On our trip in 2018, may have been the best buffet we’ve ever had.

Service was extraordinary, of course, but I think you’ll find that across the Asian resorts. Our stay at the Shanghai Disneyland resort had the greatest service we’ve literally ever experienced, better than our subsequent (far pricier stay at MiraCosta, which still had great service).
We didn’t. The morning we were going there for breakfast the fire alarm went off when we arrived. Not knowing how long it would be we went to Ink and Plate next door for an admittedly exceptional buffet breakfast. In fact for the “value” resort we were very impressed with this and with the common areas of the Hollywood.

Robbiem

So glad you had a great time. I really enjoyed Hong Kong Disneyland and HK the place when I went in 2019, would,love to go back.

Does the building on the second park site impact the experience at all?

I do hope that Disney and the local government invest more in the resort it has the potential to really be something special IMO

we found the cast great and Hong Kongers in general to be great and really friendly. Its so easy to get around and there is plenty more to see and do

Supersnow84

I noticed you said it was known that more expansion was coming, I’m assuming that you can’t say what it actually is but it’s interesting that it’s common knowledge amongst the park (unless you managed to get a conversation with a high level imagineer)

Seems to indicate that said thing is probably going to start soon

Is it something that excites you or something that is just kinda “more of anything is good for a small park”

TimeDuck

Such a glowing trip report, thanks for the advice here (and on the other thread). A few questions when you have a moment:

*Food recommendations? We're staying at Explorer's Lodge and know Dragon Wind buffet and The Explorer's Club Restaurant in the park have been recommended enough times to try (and will opt for the front row seating per your recommendation). But any other food information is hard to come by for the park. No food allergies and we are very adventurous eaters.

*Why did you guys decide not to check out Shanghai given its proximity to HKDL? Asking because we're currently having that dilemma, with the ability to see Zootopia if we do decide to go to SDR after.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
So glad you had a great time. I really enjoyed Hong Kong Disneyland and HK the place when I went in 2019, would,love to go back.

Does the building on the second park site impact the experience at all?

I do hope that Disney and the local government invest more in the resort it has the potential to really be something special IMO

we found the cast great and Hong Kongers in general to be great and really friendly. Its so easy to get around and there is plenty more to see and do
The second park site is still behind a jungle. Walking from the hotel you saw the odd bit of building through the trees but if you didn’t know what it was you wouldn’t know. As it were. Personally I’d hope for more in the legacy park way before the second site is considered but it really could become a flagship resort, albeit with the location being a huge bonus. Between the mountains and the sea it’s truly visually a magical place.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Such a glowing trip report, thanks for the advice here (and on the other thread). A few questions when you have a moment:

*Food recommendations? We're staying at Explorer's Lodge and know Dragon Wind buffet and The Explorer's Club Restaurant in the park have been recommended enough times to try (and will opt for the front row seating per your recommendation). But any other food information is hard to come by for the park. No food allergies and we are very adventurous eaters.

*Why did you guys decide not to check out Shanghai given its proximity to HKDL? Asking because we're currently having that dilemma, with the ability to see Zootopia if we do decide to go to SDR after.
We didn’t get in Dragon Wind due to the fire alarm evacuation but did eat at the quicker serve Chart Room Cafe which was perfectly fine. Full English and coffee. We did note it got busier as the time passed (we got food about 8am) - and again this is only our experience.

The Explorers semi buffet was amazing. Buffet starters and desserts and one choice of a main. Rack of lamb I think we had. Plus of course a wristband for the front enclosure of Momentous. We took the 615pm sitting for the 830 show, but I’d say get to the castle at 8pm at the latest since it does get busy. Not rammed but the earlier the better. It’s bookable on the website, we booked the week before we flew to check the weather shouldn’t be an issue and there was plenty of availability. Ensure you choose the meal plus fireworks option. The menu was changing slightly the week we left but the new one should still be on the website.

I doubt it’s still running after next week but the halloween Nightmare Before Dinner show was stunning. If you do see something similar come back to me (again bookabke in advance)

Honoury mention to the Tomorrowland Star Liner burger and fries. The red burger not the green one (!) was one of the best fast foods we’ve had in a park.

Royal Banquet Hall in Fantasyland is a huge, crazy food court. Busy at peak times and an experience with its self serve food tray trolleys. But what a choice. Several different types of food from different windows and all paid for at the end till. First QSR I’ve seen with a mixed grill with real crockery and cutlery.

Starbucks on main street is the only place with “real” coffee and very popular. Say hi to Annie the greeter !

And special mention to the Market Corner Cafe on Main Street. Lunch and dinner sittings are the same food, dinner is a bit more expensive but only since the soft drink is included (took a while for us to figure that one out). It’s a TSR that yoy can get same day for; even when closed at 1030am the cast member stood at the door with an iPad will give you a “ticket” (ask for that) for your chosen time. When the iPad doesn’t take a foreign phone number all you need is to take a photo of the screen with the ressie number (our CM actually put her own mobile onto it to make it work - again great customer service). Ask to sit in the orangery room for wonderful ambiance particularly at dusk. The ceasar salad was tasty and the steak was to die for.

Ink and Plate at Hollywood Hotel does a wonderful buffet breakfast in a lovely bright environment and is worth trying (and it’s next door to you) plus where else do you see western, continental, Indian and Chinese breakfast options?! And typically I’ve probably got photos of every meal if you like 😂

Shanghai will be next time when we return to HK. This trip was testing the water of the Asian resorts and HK was the easiest for us as the first one. We’ll be looking at the 144 visa for SHDL but that will dictate our travel plans too.

Do ask anything else. I’ll help if I can. Oh, Main Street opens about 15 minutes early with castle rope drop at the posted time. Mystic grizzly and TSL opened at 11. Make sure you find the hotel guest security and entrance queue too. Overhead signs and cast with placards show the way.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I noticed you said it was known that more expansion was coming, I’m assuming that you can’t say what it actually is but it’s interesting that it’s common knowledge amongst the park (unless you managed to get a conversation with a high level imagineer)

Seems to indicate that said thing is probably going to start soon

Is it something that excites you or something that is just kinda “more of anything is good for a small park”
Not much detail or timeframe yetI’m afraid, apart from Frozen won’t be the last key expansion and the next one is being worked on. I want to say that due to the positive reception of Grizzly and Mystic plus the pre opening buzz of WoF is it won’t just be a c ticket and popcorn stand. There seems to be the (obvious) realisation of “do it right and it will succeed“.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Did you get on the HKDLRR? Would love to see some info on that attraction.
Sadly not. It did start regular testing and cast were often on the station platform so we saw both (?) trains running. Treehouse was also still closed although mostly untarped now and there was some remedial work taking place on it. More reasons to return 😁

SplashJacket

We really enjoyed Shanghai; we made sure to hit both (especially both cities) since we were already traveling from literally across the planet, but absolutely loved it. HKDL’s biggest issue is a lack of headliners and Shanghai has perhaps the greatest in the world, so visiting both back-to-back feels like a more balanced experience.

As always, though, I wouldn’t recommend making the trek unless you want to visit the city itself.

I obviously don’t know your location, but if you’re traveling close to halfway around the world, I’d say, what the hell and go for it. It’ll be a fantastic trip.

Not sure about post-covid Dragon Wind, but if I had a specific food recommendation, it would be allow for a second visit to Dragon Wind in case as you loved it as much as we did when we went.

If you want a HK specific restaurant, strongly strongly recommend “Ho Lee ” https://www.holeefook.com.hk/

Absolutely spectacular meal (hard to get reservations) that we still talk about.

Overall, park-to-park, we preferred the food in Shanghai (and found everything to be more affordable) than Hong Kong, but still loved both.

Club level at the Disneyland Hotel in Shanghai was cheaper than our stay at Explorers Lodge (your mileage may vary), and everything from tickets to food was far cheaper. Overall lovely experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom