Elemental (Pixar - June 2023)

Disstevefan1

huh. I'm surprised they are doing it so early given the "legs" in the box office.
Is it still in theaters? If so, it is strange.
But then again, Puss in Boots was still in theaters when they put that on streaming and it continued to do well at the box office.

I purchased a digital copy of Elemental. I thought it was GREAT!

Vegas Disney Fan

Watched it this morning on D+, not my favorite Pixar movie but probably my favorite since Soul and overall I enjoyed it.

My favorite part of Pixar movies are their ability to create an emotional connection and I thought this came up short in that area, I didn’t get a real emotion with elemental until the
low bow
at the end, that was a great moment though.

Not their best but I think it’s worthy of repeat viewing.

Disstevefan1

Watched it this morning on D+, not my favorite Pixar movie but probably my favorite since Soul and overall I enjoyed it.

My favorite part of Pixar movies are their ability to create an emotional connection and I thought this came up short in that area, I didn’t get a real emotion with elemental until the
low bow
at the end, that was a great moment though.

Not their best but I think it’s worthy of repeat viewing.
Everyone is different. This movie really moved me. Totally did not expect it to, but it did.

doctornick

Just watched it. Outstanding and really deserved better. A step behind the best Pixar films but I would say the best since Coco (and I really loved Luca too).

Multiple spots where I felt tears swell. Probably helps that I have recent immigrants in the family in making it more meaningful

It reminding me a good bit of My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just watched it. Outstanding and really deserved better. A step behind the best Pixar films but I would say the best since Coco (and I really loved Luca too).

Multiple spots where I felt tears swell. Probably helps that I have recent immigrants in the family in making it more meaningful

It reminding me a good bit of My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Hopefully others feel as you do and this is a good sign for Pixar's Elio having a chance in theaters.

doctornick

Hopefully others feel as you do and this is a good sign for Pixar's Elio having a chance in theaters.
I actually wanted to see this in theaters but just never found the time but it was certainly worthy to see on the big screen. I do hope it helps lead to more faith and excitement for Pixar and better box office performances in the future.

Heppenheimer

Saw it yesterday. I liked Elemental more than I thought I would, but it will still probably be a one-and-done for me. It seemed like they assembled the the plot and themes together from other, better Pixar and Disney movies, while adding yet another magical world with its own set of internal rules. As always, it was pretty to look at.

My kids lost interest after a few minutes.

Ripken10

We turned it on, really didn't expect my oldest to watch (he has only saw through 3 star wars movies and super mario brothers so far, all in the last 2 months), but about 1/4 of the way through he got entranced by it. He has now asked to watch it 2 more times in the last 3-4 days.

I think it was good, but I still enjoyed Luca more. Definitely was entertaining, and a movie I can take watching over and over again, as I am sure my youngest (who can sit through movie after movie after movie) will do. Life of a parent, finding a movie you don't mind watching on repeat. Nobody really wants to watch any movie on repeat, but this one will be ok.

Heppenheimer

We turned it on, really didn't expect my oldest to watch (he has only saw through 3 star wars movies and super mario brothers so far, all in the last 2 months), but about 1/4 of the way through he got entranced by it. He has now asked to watch it 2 more times in the last 3-4 days.

I think it was good, but I still enjoyed Luca more. Definitely was entertaining, and a movie I can take watching over and over again, as I am sure my youngest (who can sit through movie after movie after movie) will do. Life of a parent, finding a movie you don't mind watching on repeat. Nobody really wants to watch any movie on repeat, but this one will be ok.
Fortunately, my wife and I discovered that my kids really like Up. They love those Dug Days shorts, so to them, the feature-length movie is probably just a long Dug Days cartoon.

My personal opinion is that Dug's Special Mission is the absolute pinnacle of Pixar shorts.

Sir_Cliff

They're different films and I don't want to compare too much, but, good lord, I loved Luca! I think that and Coco are the Pixar films I have rewatched the most. The one difference between the two is that I think Coco is now recognised as top-tier Pixar while Luca is still very underrated.

Heppenheimer

They're different films and I don't want to compare too much, but, good lord, I loved Luca! I think that and Coco are the Pixar films I have rewatched the most. The one difference between the two is that I think Coco is now recognised as top-tier Pixar while Luca is still very underrated.
I love the simplicity and relatively low stakes of Luca. And that they did a pretty bang-up job of digitally recreating the Cinque Terre in Italy.

Sir_Cliff

I love the simplicity and relatively low stakes of Luca. And that they did a pretty bang-up job of digitally recreating the Cinque Terre in Italy.
I feel quite the same. It is a relatively simple Pixar film, but they did a fantastic job of creating a world in which you want to spend time and I did also feel both the relationship between the children and the whole issue of hiding you're a sea monster was surprisingly touching. In that sense, I think it's a little like Dumbo which was seen as a less dramatic film than Snow White, Pinocchio, and Bambi but which ended up being surprisingly moving.

Disney Analyst

‘Elemental’ Is the Most Viewed Movie Premiere on Disney+ of 2023​

Disney and Pixar’s Elemental made its streaming debut in a blaze of glory.

Elemental is the most watched movie premiere of the year on Disney+ and among its Top 10 movie premieres of all time, earning 26.4 million views in its first five days of streaming. Directed by Peter Sohn, produced by Denise Ream, and executive produced by Pete Docter, the original feature film is set in Element City, where Fire-, Water-, Earth-, and Air-residents live together. The story follows the quick-witted and fiery Ember (voiced by Leah Lewis), whose friendship with the sappy and go-with-the-flow Wade (voiced by Mamoudou Athie) challenges not only her beliefs about the world they live in, but the person she wants to be.

In its first five days of streaming, Elemental has become the most viewed animated movie premiere since Disney and Pixar’s Turning Red was released in March 2022, as well as the most viewed Disney+ movie premiere of all time in Latin America, ahead of Turning Red.

1920_ELEMENTAL-ONLINE-USE-m353_1a_pub.pub16n.166-614x331.jpg

Released in June, the film has seen theatrical success as well, earning $484 million worldwide with a 93% Rotten Tomatoes Verified Audience Score and an “A” CinemaScore. Domestically, the film generated $154 million—more than five times its domestic opening weekend of $30 million, a rare feat for any theatrical release and the second-highest multiple behind Disney and Pixar’s Toy Story (1995). Internationally, the film brought in $330 million and had a particularly strong showing in South Korea, becoming Pixar’s most-seen film in the country.

The Elemental screenplay is by John Hoberg & Kat Likkel and Brenda Hsueh, with story by Sohn, Hoberg & Likkel, and Hsueh. Ronnie del Carmen, Shila Ommi, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Catherine O’Hara, Mason Wertheimer, and Joe Pera round out the film’s voice cast.

A view is defined as total stream time divided by runtime.

TP2000

Not sure about a sequel or a TV show. This was definitely a one-and-done for my kids.

I think some of this excitement is because Elemental wasn't a complete box office failure, and it had great box office in Asia where its South Korean director helped publicize it more as a "Local Boy Does Good" type news story.

But Elemental still lost a lot of money for Disney. Depending on how much they spent on marketing, it lost between $25 and $75 Million. From the Box Office thread...

If you assume they spent $100 Million on marketing, Elemental has lost $76 Million.

If you assume that they spent $75 Million on marketing (a more reasonable figure), Elemental has lost $51 Million.

If you assume that they spent only $50 Million on marketing (a ridiculously low figure), Elemental has lost $26 Million.

The optimistic take on those huge loss scenarios (I'm inclined to believe it was the $51 Million figure), is that is what it cost them to stop the sudden and rapid destruction of the Pixar brand by their boneheaded Direct To Disney+ strategy.

Elemental Math.jpg

Heppenheimer

I think some of this excitement is because Elemental wasn't a complete box office failure, and it had great box office in Asia where its South Korean director helped publicize it more as a "Local Boy Does Good" type news story.

But Elemental still lost a lot of money for Disney. Depending on how much they spent on marketing, it lost between $25 and $75 Million. From the Box Office thread...

If you assume they spent $100 Million on marketing, Elemental has lost $76 Million.

If you assume that they spent $75 Million on marketing (a more reasonable figure), Elemental has lost $51 Million.

If you assume that they spent only $50 Million on marketing (a ridiculously low figure), Elemental has lost $26 Million.

The optimistic take on those huge loss scenarios (I'm inclined to believe it was the $51 Million figure), is that is what it cost them to stop the sudden and rapid destruction of the Pixar brand by their boneheaded Direct To Disney+ strategy.

View attachment 743712
I'm guess the marketing budget was on the lower side. Unless I missed it, there didn't seem to be the usual fanfare that usually accompanies a Pixar theatrical release.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom