News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Disney Analyst

How can FEA somehow be a minute longer yet have the exact same ride vehicles, system, path, etc. as Maelstrom?

It doesn’t. They adjusted the flume when they redid the attraction.

They moved the load area, and added a new curved flume section for the Olaf / Sven scene, which is in the old load area. You used to load and go right into the lift hill.

Disney Analyst

I don't think it has the exact same path -- I'm pretty sure they made some changes.

Here's a mock up someone did.

1694718358600.png

WaluigiTime

I am wondering if Disney is starting a slow process of going through older attractions and replacing hydraulic animatronics with more advanced ones that are more easy to maintain. Then if they deem it not worth a conversion they are just retheming the attraction.

Dear Prudence

I am wondering if Disney is starting a slow process of going through older attractions and replacing hydraulic animatronics with more advanced ones that are more easy to maintain. Then if they deem it not worth a conversion they are just retheming the attraction.
It's just amazing to me how non-Disney parks somehow maintain all of their attractions immaculately with a micro fraction of both resources and brand recognition.

Disney is just embarrassingly lazy.

Rich Brownn

Could have saved some dollars by pulling the plug on those live-action remakes that nobody asked for.
I dont mind the remakes if they try something different. "The Jungle Book" remake was superior to the cartoon. "Cinderella" changed just enough. But these shot-for-shot remakes are pointless. I think the nadir was "The Lion King" 'live action' which was a cartoon remake of a cartoon

TP2000

This really is the key. I say I want AAs, but it’s more complicated than that. Avatar, Frozen - they have AAs and remain immensely underwhelming. What I, and I think many fans, really want are well-made AA SCENES. This what is lacking in those rides and it’s why even Resistance feels less impressive then it should. Disney has seemingly lost the ability to make the kind of large, deep AA scenes that defined Pirates, Splash, or the EPCOT classics. Instead, they’ve shifted thier attention to one or two very advanced, very impressive figures in a barren environment.

Agree with all of that.

But aside from the showboat finale' scene, most of the Splash Mountain spaces are tight and confined and don't have room for big AA scenes like Pirate's Auction Scene, or the Haunted Mansion graveyard or ballroom, etc.

Which brings me to another thought on this remake. I really do wonder if the sets themselves will change in size and shape. Will it really just be the exact same flume through the exact same rooms and scenes just redressed into Tiana?

Or will they take this time to reconfigure existing rooms and sets to create all-new spaces that look nothing like what we know/remember from Splash Mountain?

I really hope its the latter. Or else YouTube is going to be full of videos doing Tiana ride-thrus with the old Splash Mountain audio overlaid onto those exact same places. And that will make TBA look really tacky and cheap. :oops:

TP2000

They need to start showing off actual ride content that people actually want to hear about. Stop the endless travel vlogs of the team visiting New Orleans and self aggrandizing over how incredible and talented they are. Or the never ending flood of backstory details that probably (hopefully) won't even be a factor for like 99% of the ride.

Bingo.

It's that kind of stuff that concerns a lot of us about this current WDI generation.

Today's Imagineers seem to be really excited to talk about themselves and how brilliantly they approach their work and how important and meaningful it all is, but then when we see that actual work as paying customers.... er... :rolleyes:

aladdin2007

Agree with all of that.

But aside from the showboat finale' scene, most of the Splash Mountain spaces are tight and confined and don't have room for big AA scenes like Pirate's Auction Scene, or the Haunted Mansion graveyard or ballroom, etc.

Which brings me to another thought on this remake. I really do wonder if the sets themselves will change in size and shape. Will it really just be the exact same flume through the exact same rooms and scenes just redressed into Tiana?

Or will they take this time to reconfigure existing rooms and sets to create all-new spaces that look nothing like what we know/remember from Splash Mountain?

I really hope its the latter. Or else YouTube is going to be full of videos doing Tiana ride-thrus with the old Splash Mountain audio overlaid onto those exact same places. And that will make TBA look really tacky and cheap. :oops:
I feel like very much reconfigured to use less space than before, (walled off or blacked out) watch it become much more one sided (like frozen) instead of surrounding both sides. I doubt very little anything will be recognizable except the flume path. Would love to be wrong. Its going to be interesting to see how they handle the laughin place after the drop.....and especially at Disneyland doesn't that one have more rooms or tunnels than ours?

donaldtoo

Bingo.

It's that kind of stuff that concerns a lot of us about this current WDI generation.

Today's Imagineers seem to be really excited to talk about themselves and how brilliantly they approach their work and how important and meaningful it all is, but then when we see that actual work as paying customers.... er... :rolleyes:

Yep, this…
If ya’ hafta’ continually tell people how brilliant you are, chances are, you’re not.
I don’t remember the older Imagineers doing anything like this.
I’ve seen interviews with many of them over the years. They all seemed very modest, and also talked about how many failures they had before achieving success regarding story, designs, engineering, etc. I remember an interview with Bob Gurr regarding opening day at Disneyland (we all know how much of a near disaster that was), and he was talking about how the Autopia cars kept breaking down, etc.
Walt didn’t heap praise on his employees…he hired them to do a job, and expected it done.
I remember a story about a young Imagineer proudly approaching Walt and an associate (John Hench, IIRC) to show him his design option for a new project. Walt inspected it for a few moments and then replied something like… “Hmmm. That’s OK, but, it’s hard to choose between just one option.”…!!!!! :hilarious:
There were no participation trophies and “You are special…!!!” praise in that world.
You did the job you were paid to do, and went home at the end of the day with that satisfaction.

MerlinTheGoat

I feel like very much reconfigured to use less space than before, (walled off or blacked out) watch it become much more one sided (like frozen) instead of surrounding both sides. I doubt very little anything will be recognizable except the flume path. Would love to be wrong. Its going to be interesting to see how they handle the laughin place after the drop.....and especially at Disneyland doesn't that one have more rooms or tunnels than ours?
According to a claim from Splash Archive, they're repurposing the small boat currently/formerly occupied by a dog AA and the area itself for a new scene in Tiana. One of the previous pieces of art with Tiana and Naveen in a boat where she's holding a lantern. I expect the set dressing to go through a lot of changes, but the room structures i'm not sure about.

In the scenes following the first Slippin Falls drop (all the How Do You Do scenes), Disneyland has fewer separating walls than WDW. You can see a lot of the show scenes through one another as the track winds and twists its way through this level. It's hard to really say if there are "more" rooms at Disneyland when it's all one large interconnected room that you can see everything through. WDW's walls are painted with bright sunny countryside scenery, and the sets are designed with more forced perspective elements to make them seem like they stretch out farther than they actually do.

After the second real drop, things also get a bit different. The dark room with the spinning beehives is its own level at WDW, and there's another decent sized minor drop after that sends you down to the proper Laughing Place. There's barely a drop at Disneyland here at all, maybe a foot tall or so at most. It's basically all sort of just one long tunnel with a couple of curves. This tunnel seems to stretch out a bit longer at DL too, with an additional scene just before the final lift with the Rabbit family and the Burrow.

James Alucobond

Yep, this…
If ya’ hafta’ continually tell people how brilliant you are, chances are, you’re not.
I don’t remember the older Imagineers doing anything like this.
I’ve seen interviews with many of them over the years. They all seemed very modest, and also talked about how many failures they had before achieving success regarding story, designs, engineering, etc. I remember an interview with Bob Gurr regarding opening day at Disneyland (we all know how much of a near disaster that was), and he was talking about how the Autopia cars kept breaking down, etc.
Walt didn’t heap praise on his employees…he hired them to do a job, and expected it done.
I remember a story about a young Imagineer proudly approaching Walt and an associate (John Hench, IIRC) to show him his design option for a new project. Walt inspected it for a few moments and then replied something like… “Hmmm. That’s OK, but, it’s hard to choose between just one option.”…!!!!! :hilarious:
There were no participation trophies and “You are special…!!!” praise in that world.
You did the job you were paid to do, and went home at the end of the day with that satisfaction.
This seems revisionist. There was plenty of puffery about Disney in the past as well. What do you suppose the purpose of Walt Disney Presents and its many successor series was? You’re comparing folks in memoir mode to people actively employed by Disney who presumably want to retain their employment for years to come.

celluloid

This seems revisionist. There was plenty of puffery about Disney in the past as well. What do you suppose the purpose of Walt Disney Presents and its many successor series was? You’re comparing folks in memoir mode to people actively employed by Disney who presumably want to retain their employment for years to come.

That show came on every week and had something new to say. The difference is, they had the evidence to back it up.

Now you wait a year to hear things are still coming. And there are a lot more resources these days to make it happen.

James Alucobond

That show came on every week and had something new to say. The difference is, they had the evidence to back it up.

Now you wait a year to hear things are still coming. And there are a lot more resources these days to make it happen.
Quality and pace of the work notwithstanding, you can’t pretend they weren’t always intent on promoting the company and glorifying the creativity of Imagineering. There was always a mystique that was central to their image. You can argue whether or not it is warranted any longer, but you can’t expect them to get up on stage at a marketing event and denigrate themselves or act self-effacing when the content of a specific talk doesn’t call for that sort of tone.

donaldtoo

Not revisionist to me at all. I’ve watched many of those old shows. Two I can specifically comment on are the “Disneyland” tv show episodes “Man and the Moon” and “Man in Space”. I’ve rewatched them many times.
If any “puffery” was done it was by Walt himself…he was trying to sell his product, as that was his job.
Again, I was commenting on the older imagineers, not the company or Walt.
Watch those episodes, and the Imagineers actually seemed kinda’ boring, and there was definitely no “puffery” from them.

celluloid

Quality and pace of the work notwithstanding, you can’t pretend they weren’t always intent on promoting the company and glorifying the creativity of Imagineering. There was always a mystique that was central to their image. You can argue whether or not it is warranted any longer, but you can’t expect them to get up on stage at a marketing event and denigrate themselves or act self-effacing when the content of a specific talk doesn’t call for that sort of tone.

No one said they were not. That was a part of great TV weekly and new things were constnatly shared.

A once a year situation where you brag on what you have already done for half of it is not really comparable.

Most of the announcements this year, were the ones announced last year without much more commitment or anything of value vs weekly tv in the 1950s/60s.

You can't deny they are standing on shoulders without nearly as much effort and far more resources.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom