News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

Slpy3270

Wild that Iger's talk about "options" for ESPN and ABC/cable networks has not budged the stock. And there isn't even a plan for such options!

Wasn't the case under Chapek when ESPN was being pressed for spin-off.

JohnD

Yeah, we were looking at different dates, that's probably why.
Then you can do the same thing for WDW vs. Uni for the dates you want. Keep in mind, ticket prices average out to a range of dates. Don't just start with your desired 1st day in the park. You may end up paying more. In this example, Uni prices averaged out the cheapest starting between 12/15-19 for traveling 12/18-19. You can do the same on the WDW site.

1689262002537.png

dreday3

I will say we decided whenever we get back that we aren't going to buy park tickets for our arrival day. Normally we just didn't buy one for departure day since we fly home so early, but now we'll save some money on arrival day too. Enough to do by just hanging at resort, going to dinner. I think we will skip Memory Maker next time too.

It's some kind of savings!

JohnD

I'm just asking - is this expensive compared to other parks? We were looking at Universal this December and it was coming to around $154 for one park per person for one day. That's without packages/etc.

I don't think it's tickets where Disney is expensive - I think it's hotels, extras, etc.
We compared hotels too. The least expensive resorts were the All Stars with the D+ or FR discount. Cost was approx $630 for three nights. By comparison, you could pay half that at Springhill Suites in Flamingo Crossing. Disney would argue you would miss out on early morning hours and 60 day in advance ADRs for the length of your stay but neither of those would appeal to this family with an 8 year old kid. What can you really get done in 30 minutes? And they're good with counter service the whole time. Maybe an ADR at the last minute. They're better off staying off property for the savings.

JohnD

I am just glad I have the weekday pass. It's the only way I can afford Disney.

It's made all the more richer by the fact that I am the exact customer Iger and his stooges don't want at WDW. I take a bit of twisted pleasure in going multiple times and barely spending money in the parks 🤓
I used to have Silver but am satisfied with Pixie Dust.

DisneyHead123

On "pricing not being an issue" - I can't decide if this means they're going all-in on the "we're a luxury brand now" approach, or if it was just obfuscation to reassure investors while behind the scenes they are worried about pricing. There's been a lot of speculation over whether or not they really meant it when they said they wanted higher prices and lower crowds - this would seem to reinforce the idea that this is still the approach.

dreday3

We compared hotels too. The least expensive resorts were the All Stars with the D+ or FR discount. Cost was approx $630 for three nights. By comparison, you could pay half that at Springhill Suites in Flamingo Crossing. Disney would argue you would miss out on early morning hours and 60 day in advance ADRs for the length of your stay but neither of those would appeal to this family with an 8 year old kid. What can you really get done in 30 minutes? And they're good with counter service the whole time. Maybe an ADR at the last minute. They're better off staying off property for the savings.

I can't give up on a Disney hotel. It's my admitted weakness. :) Hotels in general are my weakness. Drives my husband crazy. (at least he says so, but he always ends up loving whatever I choose, wherever we go!)

But we probably have to go back to a moderate next trip. Hopefully Gran Destino stays reasonable in price.

TalkingHead

I’m surprised Iger wasn’t more measured in his comments on WGA and SAG unless he was looking to antagonize. Guess that’s one way to pull back on new releases. Or maybe he’s thinking they can always do a CP reality show for adults. Viewer discretion is magically advised, etc.

alphac2005

Talking to CMs and other folks there they said it was hotter than typical and lots of reports of people head back to resorts early, just couldn't deal with the heat. Also local Passholders would be impacted and decide not to go

Not saying it was the man reason and certainly not the only reason but it did contribute a bit, just how extreme the heat got for a few days around the 4th. (Whether that is 2% or 7% or whatever no idea but it didn't help)
Whether there is truth to this as it pertains to attendance (although Iger is pushing that narrative), I can tell you that as a local it's hot, really hot. Our nighttime lows are several degrees above normal (typically 6-7 degrees) along with daytime highs running around 5 degrees warmer than typical and a skyhigh heat index. Our home is pretty micromanaged in terms of energy use and the past month, we're up about 15% from our typical energy use this time of year because our lack of nighttime cooling is causing the air to be run longer in the evening and nighttime. The crowd sizes are certainly down, but they look more normal, more of what it was like before revenge travel. 2019 was real tourism boom year here in Orlando then came the pandemic. It looks far more like 2018. A reduction in post-pandemic boom travel, prices that continue to escalate, and temperatures seem to be a logical mix as to why attendance is down.

LSLS

Anyone else surprised it was hot in central Florida on July 4th this year? No? Then why does he think that affected crowds.

I was. I had to go shopping for clothes cause I was shocked my jeans and longsleeve shirts might be a tad uncomfortable during that week. And don't even get me started on the shock that I needed sun block.

MaximumEd

Inflation is putting the squeeze on folks everywhere. We recently spent 10 days on the Florida gulf coast beaches. We do this 2-3 times a summer and usually eat out for dinner every night. This time, we ate out every other night. It’s not that we can’t afford it, but eventually you just feel like the experience isn’t worth the cost and that you’re getting ripped off. If Bob The Sweatervest doesn’t think pricing is an issue, he’s bonkers. Especially when you compare a better experience a few years ago to todays price.

monothingie

Turn those machines back on!
Premium Member
It’s arrogant patronizing out of touch commentary like this from Bob that only serves tick off guests and fans.

“We’re doing fine, everything is perfect without problems and we’re doing great! The guests are wrong and we don’t need to change anything!”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom