Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Their competitors up the road are quickly building a new gate. Disney can't even finish a scaled back central spine renovation at EPCOT in the same amount of time. We'll see who's right.
Ouch…that even hurt me a little…

What’s great is that “spine” involved knocking down the innoventions building to build…something exactly looking like innoventions? A water fountain similar to like the Mirage lobby in Vegas…and an observation lounge to watch the fireworks show they just dismantled in the middle of the night…

Magic.
Pure and simple.

Last edited:

Smugpugmug

definitely need to go in eyes open and know how things have changed (for good and bad) and recognize it and then elect to go or not - but can't just view it as everything Disney does is amazing and never wrong a bad thing

But it can still be a great vacation and where people want to go

Just last night my oldest was commenting (related to how we went to Dollywood last year) - "Dollywood was good, and we had fun - but it isn't Disney ... just feel more comfortable there and overall have a better time" ... so even if Dollywood is cheaper/better value, doesn't mean it is the best option for any given family (just using as an example)
Yeah that's how I feel too. When it stops being worth it, I'll stop going. I haven't gotten there yet. I can still acknowledge that some things have changed in a way that I believe is worse.

I just don't understand the people that blindly stand behind everything a company does, not just Disney.

JusticeDisney

The wait times at Universal recently are comparatively even lower than those at WDW. I only point that out for the benefit of the folks who think that the lower attendance and/or wait times is unique to WDW and is somehow their own doing. It’s not. It’s just the way things are going these days, across the board. That said, we might as well enjoy it while it lasts, no matter which parks we choose to attend!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The wait times at Universal recently are comparatively even lower than those at WDW. I only point that out for the benefit of the folks who think that the lower attendance and/or wait times is unique to WDW and is somehow their own doing. It’s not. It’s just the way things are going these days, across the board. That said, we might as well enjoy it while it lasts, no matter which parks we choose to attend!
The problems in Orlando are not limited to just Disney

Which makes complete sense since if you consider they mirror pricing.

That makes a very strong case that pricing is the problem

TheMaxRebo

Feels like they fluctuated a bit more and also seems like their hotesl are a bit more sold ... but still feels likght there for summer/holiday so I think it is a) lots of vacation areas are impacted, b) Orlando area and theme parks are impacted, and c) additional elements are impacted Disney even more

So there are external factors but also internal factors to Disney that are compounding things - but it isn't *just* Disney specific

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
A good portion of guests of USO book it as a secondary destination to WDW. (5 days at WDW, 2 at USO). I think it would be fair to say that the there is a direct correlation between WDW and USO attendance and that WDW attendance (or lack there of) is a direct driver of attendance at USO. Which means that USO as well as other Central Florida attractions are collateral damage from Disney's failures.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This, this, this!

How many customers did WDW get from people who went coming back and telling friends and family that were on the fence that yes, it was pricey, but they felt it was worth it? What is the story coming back now?

IMO, that positive word-of-mouth was critical for Disney's success and if they've tainted that well - their work is that much harder.
In research/tracking it ALWAYS has been…

The feedback they look for is “pricey…but great” with a Side of shock and awe.

That’s been their wheelhouse and how they grew to 10s of millions of annual visitors.

If it’s “overpriced and a hassle” now? They might as well have Mickey waterski with sharks in a leather jacket.

That’s outside the safeguards for their model.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Feels like they fluctuated a bit more and also seems like their hotesl are a bit more sold ... but still feels likght there for summer/holiday so I think it is a) lots of vacation areas are impacted, b) Orlando area and theme parks are impacted, and c) additional elements are impacted Disney even more

So there are external factors but also internal factors to Disney that are compounding things - but it isn't *just* Disney specific
It's funny cause while Orlando parks are suffering, parks like Cedar Point and Kings Island are up in attendance. I know they aren't the same but people are obviously still going to parks just not destination ones.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Orlando specially has been hit very hard…other travel spots seem to be universally (no pun) up…

It’s the price

JD80

As I tell Chi all the time…personal opinions don’t matter…it’s mass/trend that Disney has always made profit off of in the parks.

They were built on a mass market model. You cannot down shift…the dynamics will never work.

Which is why they panicked with promotions Bob doesn’t believe in for months now…more come out all the time.

They’re in Crisis…just don’t expect them to admit it at a presser

They are not really offering more promotions than they normally do. Maybe some of them are 5% more than in previous years or they are coming out earlier. But we've always had rack rate discounts and bounce back offers and special ticket packages. Let me know when they start offering weird new offerings like how Free Dining was when it first came out decades ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom