The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
Now that I really observe the posters, MKs logo looks much better with Chikapik hill tree. Take a look at the fan made one. Doesn’t look great with he tree inside the “M.” I think it was a creative choice to go with the Mk logo. The only question is if this poster was released in 89 or 92. I’m guessing 92 and they just changed the land name for Disneyland.

What would be really interesting is if Disneylands poster actually was the first place the logo was seen and then they copied that for the MK Splash Mountain marquee.

Last edited:

Consumer

I have a friend coming to visit California in July. Thought it might be fun to take them to Disneyland so I looked up the cost. $179 for a one day, one park ticket. I genuinely had no idea it had gotten that expensive. Absolute insanity. I cannot fathom spending that much money. Maybe I'll just take them to Downtown Disney and an Angels game. That would be about 7% of the cost of 2 tickets to Disneyland and would involve far less stress and exhaustion.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I have a friend coming to visit California in July. Thought it might be fun to take them to Disneyland so I looked up the cost. $179 for a one day, one park ticket. I genuinely had no idea it had gotten that expensive. Absolute insanity. I cannot fathom spending that much money. Maybe I'll just take them to Downtown Disney and an Angels game. That would be about 7% of the cost of 2 tickets to Disneyland and would involve far less stress and exhaustion.

That’s why we all buy annual passes… and end up spending 30x more. Lol

Consumer

That’s why we all buy annual passes… and end up spending 30x more. Lol
If I were local I could see myself buying a 2 day ticket, but since I'll only be in California for 2 months this year, hard to justify.

Even just looking at Downtown Disney, I did not realize just how bland it has become. I knew about the Jazz Kitchen fiasco, but even the inside of World of Disney looks so boring now. Of course, add the loss of ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe. Really, all that's left there is the LEGO Store and the Grand Californian lobby, although are non-guests even allowed in there? I feel like I'd be getting more bang for my buck by just parking at the McDonald's on Harbor and seeing the Matterhorn from across the street.

mickEblu

Original Poster
If I were local I could see myself buying a 2 day ticket, but since I'll only be in California for 2 months this year, hard to justify.

Even just looking at Downtown Disney, I did not realize just how bland it has become. I knew about the Jazz Kitchen fiasco, but even the inside of World of Disney looks so boring now. Of course, add the loss of ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe. Really, all that's left there is the LEGO Store and the Grand Californian lobby, although are non-guests even allowed in there? I feel like I'd be getting more bang for my buck by just parking at the McDonald's on Harbor and seeing the Matterhorn from across the street.

Lol you might get better food too. Non guests are allowed in the lobby but not in any of the seating areas on the second floor. We stayed there once and were asked to show our room keys twice. Yeah, I’m torn on the direction of DTD. The food is getting better but it’s losing a lot of character.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Are they putting a little more meat In-N-Out burgers Patties or is it just me? Patty’s have seemed a little thicker of late. Of course wouldn’t make much sense with inflation right now. It also possible they re not flattening them as much

SuddenStorm

Lol you might get better food too. Non guests are allowed in the lobby but not in any of the seating areas on the second floor. We stayed there once and were asked to show our room keys twice. Yeah, I’m torn on the direction of DTD. The food is getting better but it’s losing a lot of character.

If Disney cares that much they need to make the second level key access only, where you need a room key to access the stairs and elevator.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Galaxies Edge, ROTR, Smugglers Run and MMRR have really took some pressure off the rest of the park. E ticket standby lines are manageable for the most part. Imagine if Lightning Lane went away? Non Lightning Lane rides have lower standbys than they used to which I believe is due to people trying to get as much value as they can from purchasing Genie +. When FPs were free there wasn’t any pressure to get your money’s worth. Overall, the parks feel less crowded and a little less stressful. The 60th was great but it was PACKED. I remember 2015- 2017/2018 feeling very crowded at the parks.

MMRR specifically has taken some pressure off the Fantasyland rides. Especially IASW.

Last edited:
Calling on all Disneyland attraction poster enthusiasts. What is the original Disneyland Splash Mountain poster? Long story short... I've wanted to purchase a replica of the Splash Mountain sign for a while. A guy on instagram makes really good ones but unfortunately they are of the Magic Kingdom Splash Mountain marquee and not Disneyland and the Disneyland purist in me will not allow me to purchase it even though I find the MK logo more aesthetically pleasing.

See Below:

Disneyland marquee:

View attachment 718295

Magic Kingdom marquee:

View attachment 718300

So here's where the mystery begins. At some point it occurred to me that the Disneyland poster actually uses the MK marquee/logo. This doesn't make sense as the Mk's version of Splash didn't open until 1992. So this begs the question(s), did Splash not have an official attraction poster when it opened at Disneyland in 1989? Was this version (see below) of the poster unveiled in 1992 with the opening of MK's Splash Mountain and then they just changed the land name on the bottom for Disneylands version? To make things more confusing I have found (fan made) versions of the Disneyland poster online with the correct DL marquee/ logo. Did some intern at some point mistakenly put the MK logo on the DL poster?

Disneyland Poster:

View attachment 718301

Magic Kingdom Poster:

View attachment 718302

Fan made Disneyland poster with correct logo:

View attachment 718304

Did a little google search and it appears that Disneyland had a bunch of different promo posters/materials in 89 for Splash's opening but may not have had an official attraction poster.

View attachment 718305

View attachment 718306

View attachment 718307

Here's the Disneyland version 25th Anniversary poster which gives credence to the intern made a mistake theory as they use the correct logo here:

View attachment 718308

It just occurred to me as I type this post that they could have just changed it because the MK logo just works better with the poster. On the poster I find the MK logo more aesthetically pleasing. On the marquee I find DL's version more esthetically pleasing. Still doesn't answer the question of if Disneyland originally had this poster and just a some point had the logo changed or if this poster was unveiled when MK's Splash opened.

@SuddenStorm @Rich T
Poster was designed for WDW by Larry Nikolai:

Don’t believe Splash had a poster at DL before this. The park and land logo were changed, leaving the WDW-designed attraction logo in place

mickEblu

Original Poster
Poster was designed for WDW by Larry Nikolai:

Don’t believe Splash had a poster at DL before this. The park and land logo were changed, leaving the WDW-designed attraction logo in place

Wow, thank you! Mystery solved!! Now Im wondering if the MK poster logo copied the marquee or vice versa. I’m guessing the latter. That Nikolai needed to tweak the existing DL logo to work with the poster and then it was just copied for the marquee. @SuddenStorm

MoonRakerSCM

Went last Friday (or was it the Friday before?). Got on Runaway Railway... the rumors are true, the queue is fantastic.

Our ride was less than stellar though, upon entering the factory all sound turned off and the ride entered some sort of slow moving mode. The transformation occured with no sound. The finale.scene in the park had sound but all animations and movements were out of sync. I think the ride had some form of back/cascade failure.

Another thing I noticed... Having been on WDWs twice and now this one... The projections weren't as... Bright? I noticed in the waterfall pod, I could see the screen seams within the projection. That never jumped to me at WDW.

In other news, went on Star Tours since they updated itt with Ep9. The Exegol sequence is a lot of fun. I enjoyed a lot of the effects and the battle sequence was actually interesting for how quick it was. Certainly says something when a 15 second sequence in the ride made me care more about the battle than the actual movie itself.

mickEblu

Original Poster

Maybe it scared them and they realized there are certain buildings and attractions that need to be reinforced with better fire safety standards. Or perhaps they rushed refurbs that were scheduled for a later date out of fear. Could you imagine if someone died in one of these Fantasyland buildings for something they knew was a potential issue? Especially after the Fantasmic fire?

It’s just odd that all of these attractions went on the schedule for refurb shortly after the fire. Especially all at the same time during a time of year when attractions like these don’t typically go down. In fact, the FL dark rides rarely go down for refurbishment at all.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom