I think “The Magic” is mostly gone for me…

Mike S

Original Poster
I recently returned from a trip to the parks last weekend and, well, the title says it all. It’s still a fun place to go, don’t get me wrong, but that feeling is kind of gone now. The “Disney Difference” is only found in a few attractions still left over from what seems to now be a bygone era. Strangely enough I did find great enjoyment with the CircleVision films in World Showcase which we don’t always do.

Moving on though attractions like Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, and Test Track seem to be in terrible shape. Dinosaur has a ton of busted AAs, timing on the lighting is completely off in some areas, and what used to be a deafening roar from the photo Carnotaurus has been severely muted. We were held for far too long at both track switches on Everest and our car crawled through the mountainous handling test(?) on Test Track. I don’t know what’s causing these issues.

Then, the realization that these parks are just simply changing from what I used to know. The absence of The Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy hit once again while gazing at Splash Mountain undergoing construction and seeing how the tree at the top being removed throws off the entire forced perspective. There’s also the idea that Dinoland will be leaving for Moana and Zootopia which could likely be why Dinosaur has been allowed to get to the shape it’s currently in. As a man that loved Dinosaurs as a child and still does to this very day, this is going to hurt after having already lost UoE. Rise of the Resistance and the Millenium Falcon are also in rough shape concerning their animatronics which also brings me to my next point.

The newer rides that have opened the past few years, while fun and impressive, don’t feel “Disney.” The only major ride that does imo is Flight of Passage. Guardians really feels like Disney trying to be Universal and even with Rise being as technically impressive as it is I think it could fall into that camp as well a bit. The Falcon remains a fun video game like ride but you really need to be a pilot to have the most fun with it (right pilot for hyperspace). Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is a fun ride that should’ve been an addition and not a replacement. Disneyland wins on that case. Tron is fun and the inside portion is cool but if I had the choice of what to bring from Shanghai it would’ve definitely been Pirates. I hope Tiana is worthy of what it’s replacing. I really, really do.

To end this little rant I will give a few positives. I’ve heard the animatronics had some work done in the American Adventure and it definitely shows. I don’t know if I missed It’s a Small World getting a refurb but it looks better than I’ve seen in a LONG time. The lighting package on Spaceship Earth is fantastic. The new Jungle Cruise which I was finally able to see was a much better update than the auction scene in Pirates and I had possibly one of the top Skippers EVER. She was a riot 🤣

I know Disney can still deliver but it seems for the most part they just refuse to make the right decisions these days. I don’t know, maybe I’m just trying to chase something that was never there in the first place. Maybe “The Magic” is just being a kid and now that I’m almost 30 I’ll never be able to replicate it with a place like Disney. The closest I’ve felt to that feeling of amazement in recent years was a trip to Glacier National Park in Montana with my father.

These thoughts have been buzzing around my head the last few days and I just wanted to put them out there and possibly discuss them further. I’m going to get some sleep now since I’m writing this pretty late lol.

Epcot81Fan

I recently returned from a trip to the parks last weekend and, well, the title says it all. It’s still a fun place to go, don’t get me wrong, but that feeling is kind of gone now. The “Disney Difference” is only found in a few attractions still left over from what seems to now be a bygone era. Strangely enough I did find great enjoyment with the CircleVision films in World Showcase which we don’t always do.

Moving on though attractions like Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, and Test Track seem to be in terrible shape. Dinosaur has a ton of busted AAs, timing on the lighting is completely off in some areas, and what used to be a deafening roar from the photo Carnotaurus has been severely muted. We were held for far too long at both track switches on Everest and our car crawled through the mountainous handling test(?) on Test Track. I don’t know what’s causing these issues.

Then, the realization that these parks are just simply changing from what I used to know. The absence of The Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy hit once again while gazing at Splash Mountain undergoing construction and seeing how the tree at the top being removed throws off the entire forced perspective. There’s also the idea that Dinoland will be leaving for Moana and Zootopia which could likely be why Dinosaur has been allowed to get to the shape it’s currently in. As a man that loved Dinosaurs as a child and still does to this very day, this is going to hurt after having already lost UoE. Rise of the Resistance and the Millenium Falcon are also in rough shape concerning their animatronics which also brings me to my next point.

The newer rides that have opened the past few years, while fun and impressive, don’t feel “Disney.” The only major ride that does imo is Flight of Passage. Guardians really feels like Disney trying to be Universal and even with Rise being as technically impressive as it is I think it could fall into that camp as well a bit. The Falcon remains a fun video game like ride but you really need to be a pilot to have the most fun with it (right pilot for hyperspace). Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is a fun ride that should’ve been an addition and not a replacement. Disneyland wins on that case. Tron is fun and the inside portion is cool but if I had the choice of what to bring from Shanghai it would’ve definitely been Pirates. I hope Tiana is worthy of what it’s replacing. I really, really do.

To end this little rant I will give a few positives. I’ve heard the animatronics had some work done in the American Adventure and it definitely shows. I don’t know if I missed It’s a Small World getting a refurb but it looks better than I’ve seen in a LONG time. The lighting package on Spaceship Earth is fantastic. The new Jungle Cruise which I was finally able to see was a much better update than the auction scene in Pirates and I had possibly one of the top Skippers EVER. She was a riot 🤣

I know Disney can still deliver but it seems for the most part they just refuse to make the right decisions these days. I don’t know, maybe I’m just trying to chase something that was never there in the first place. Maybe “The Magic” is just being a kid and now that I’m almost 30 I’ll never be able to replicate it with a place like Disney. The closest I’ve felt to that feeling of amazement in recent years was a trip to Glacier National Park in Montana with my father.

These thoughts have been buzzing around my head the last few days and I just wanted to put them out there and possibly discuss them further. I’m going to get some sleep now since I’m writing this pretty late lol.
The problem is you’re chasing something Disney isn’t even trying to deliver.

They don’t care about any of this, you’re just late to the realization that era is over and they are openly mocking you.

Tony the Tigger

It’s all a matter of perspective.

I was just stranded at Orlando airport on the way from Nashville to my home in Fort Lauderdale. At 1 AM, I decided to go to Disney World. I paid rack rate at All Star music, and had a fabulous time until I had to fly home in the evening.

The last thing I was going to do on the dinosaur ride was look for every little defect. I was trying to keep myself together!

The magic abounds if you are open to it.

CaptainJackNO

For years, folks like us have been flamed on these forums. I can go back as far as 2003 when people really started verbalizing the noticeable decline in quality, obscene increase in pricing along with the reduction in offerings with the price increases. Some of us even started, 20 years ago, stating that soon Disney would begin pricing out the middle class fan. Well, it took 20 years, but I think the insane cost (now on par with a trip to Paris,) has initiated the onset of the out pricing and alienation of many of their fans. Now the data shows this. For the first time, Disney Parks are no longer the number one vacation search on search engines, Galactic Starcruiser closing barely after opening, attendance is begining to wane, and park cleanliness and ride condition is bad. Even business analysts are sounding the Disney alarm. We're heading to WDW in a month, but staying off-site for the first time. We're really looking forward to this trip, but I worry how long WDW will make it in its current state. I have hopes in Iger, but like a couple of the above posters, I'm afraid we're in the decline era. It's almost 1982 all over again, and there's no Michael Eisner in sight.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
It's a personal thing.
One person's decision that the magic isn't there any more is entirely correct. The person who still finds magic is also correct. We shouldn't be challenging the views of either side.
To the O.P. I hope you find another vacation destination that brings as much happiness as your Disney trips did.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Yep.

Goofyernmost

I can't speak on all the assorted observations you made because I haven't been there since 2019 and probably will never be going again but I do have an opinion about the part of your post that I bolded. You are correct, our perception as a child is far different than that of when we are adults. The world is far more harsh in adult life and that carries over into everything. I never got there as a child. I was 35 at my first trip. For me there was a degree of Magic, but never the type that most people describe. For me the place was bright, fun and relaxing. It was a great experience for me in that, as Walt wished, we were able to do things as a family, laugh and have fun. But the mystical Magic as it has come to be known didn't really fully connect. I love the experience for what it was, not what I thought it was or should be. I enjoyed and looked excitedly forward to all 48 visits over 40 years and still would if I were physically and financially still able to do so. However, I never did it because it was magic, it was because it was entertaining and technologically great. Although I loved many of the original attractions, that keeping up with technology aspect is what made me enjoy the new and more advanced shows and displays. That's why I loved the original EPCOT and even though I miss the old attractions, I have continued to be impressed with what was change or created later.

I was never able to "immerse", I was only able to enjoy it for what it was, flaws and all.

Last edited:

Mike S

Original Poster
The problem is you’re chasing something Disney isn’t even trying to deliver.

They don’t care about any of this, you’re just late to the realization that era is over and they are openly mocking you.
Why so seemingly hostile?

I was on these forums for years talking about issues with the parks and it got to the point where I haven’t had an annual pass since sometime before COVID and I’ve only gone for once a year trips to see new rides like Guardians and Tron. I’ve been feeling this way for a while now but this trip just seems to have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back and even got me to come back to this site to talk about it.
It's a personal thing.
One person's decision that the magic isn't there any more is entirely correct. The person who still finds magic is also correct. We shouldn't be challenging the views of either side.
To the O.P. I hope you find another vacation destination that brings as much happiness as your Disney trips did.
I’m still able to have fun but rather than this amazing place it just feels like any other park now like Universal, which is also fun. Disney just used to feel different.
...the child is grown the dream is gone...
One of my favorite songs.

JIMINYCR

...the child is grown the dream is gone...
The child still exists ... if you only let it out.
The dream exists... if you look for it and dont just focus on the negatives. Yes there are many things we dont like in comparison to what once was. But there still exists much to enjoy. Not saying you must wear rose colored glasses and not see the negatives.
To the OP.... I'd love things to be back at a time like it was during our first trips, but you have to accept things change for better and worse. If the experience you had was that bad then stay away. As many who voice complaints, stay away, cant find anything good, and its their right to, they will never force Dis to be what it once was.

Angel Ariel

I think a lot of it depends on what you see as the magic, or what the Disney difference is.

I visited Kings Dominion for the first time yesterday. It was nice, but oh my the difference between it at Disney is immense. Rides took forever to load, and then once you were loaded, it took ages for them to do the safety check and start the ride. There were multiple rides that we waited for like 10 mins *loaded into the ride vehicle,* before the ride was started. I’ve never sat that long once loaded into the vehicle (and this wasn’t just one ride and it wasn’t related to maintenance issues). The difference in how employees interacted with guests was immense.

It was a fun day, and we will likely return at some point, but it was definitely nowhere near what we experience at Disney - even with the changes at Disney we’ve noticed over the years.

Mike S

Original Poster
The child still exists ... if you only let it out.
The dream exists... if you look for it and dont just focus on the negatives. Yes there are many things we dont like in comparison to what once was. But there still exists much to enjoy. Not saying you must wear rose colored glasses and not see the negatives.
To the OP.... I'd love things to be back at a time like it was during our first trips, but you have to accept things change for better and worse. If the experience you had was that bad then stay away. As many who voice complaints, stay away, cant find anything good, and its their right to, they will never force Dis to be what it once was.
I did also post positives and one I forgot is that Space Mountain has finally been power washed since my last trip.

It’s still fun, but there’s no longer the difference between it and a resort like Universal except of course for what’s still there from before. My point is simply that Disney used to pride themselves on that difference.

JIMINYCR

I did also post positives and one I forgot is that Space Mountain has finally been power washed since my last trip.

It’s still fun, but there’s no longer the difference between it and a resort like Universal except of course for what’s still there from before. My point is simply that Disney used to pride themselves on that difference.
Yes. You must remember that Dis once was operating on a much smaller scale and functioning under a very different business model. Walt didnt have to defer to the stock holders and corporate board that took over the reins upon his demise. Not saying they couldnt be as conscientious as back then. Its a verey different place after Disneys hands on approach. Dis would probably have gone under if Eisner/ Wells hadnt stepped in. But then there are no companies that are completely the same as they once were.

Tony the Tigger

I can't speak on all the assorted observations you made because I haven't been there since 2019 and probably will never be going again but I do have an opinion about the part of your post that I bolded. You are correct, our perception as a child is far different than that of when we are adults. The world is far more harsh in adult life and that carries over into everything. I never got there as a child. I was 35 at my first trip. For me there was a degree of Magic, but never the type that most people describe. For me the place was bright, fun and relaxing. It was a great experience for me in that, as Walt wished, we were able to do things as a family, laugh and have fun. But the mystical Magic as it has come to be known didn't really fully connect. I love the experience for what it was, not what I thought it was or should be. I enjoyed and looked excitedly forward to all 48 visits over 40 years and still would if I were physically and financially still able to do so. However, I never did it because it was magic, it was because it was entertaining and technologically great. Although I loved many of the original attractions, that keeping up with technology aspect is what made me enjoy the new and more advanced shows and displays. That's why I loved the original EPCOT and even though I miss the old attractions, I have continued to be impressed with what was change or created later.

I was never able to "immerse", I was only able to enjoy it for what it was flaws and all.
I will politely counter that by saying my first trip was when I was almost 30. I had low expectations, probably wouldn't have even gone if someone didn't make a Christmas gift of the trip for me. I thought it was curious at first that there were "shows" and not just "rides" and once I got home, I realized I wanted to go back. I didn't even know why at first. This was not Six Flags. "There's magic in them thar hills." (This was the late 90's.)

Yes, there was (and is) the connection to childhood because even though I had never gone to WDW as a child, I grew up with Disney entertainment/toys/the iconic dinner plate that got passed down from sibling to sibling, etc.

But yes, the parks connection came later in life. I started reading more about the parks, Walt, etc; then coming to this site, then listening to podcasts, and my relationship with the parks (and other fans) evolved over time, avoiding any kind of staleness.

I haven’t had an annual pass since sometime before COVID and I’ve only gone for once a year trips to see new rides
Exactly the same with us - until two days ago when I got our new APs!

We didn't go less often because of any disappointment with the company. We were just playing it safe during COVID (both high risk.) We knew we would only go once a year, so the AP didn't make sense.

As it happens, our mutt is getting old, so we won't be going anywhere we can't bring her along. That means it will be a Disney trip year. And now that the parks are about $100 per day to get in, a $400 weekday for locals pass was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Yes, that pass used to cost $150 and gradually went up every year. That's fine. I'm glad I'm not in my 20's now or I might not be able to swing it. But we never did an AP in my 20's, anyway. We stayed in cheap motels and ate McDonalds and had the best time at WDW. Now we stay in the cabins and eat at Jiko and have the best time at WDW.

I fully acknowledge people run into issues, notice something not working. I've done those things. But I keep a perspective. I don't overreact to it. I don't get all dramatic and say, "The magic is gone!" because some animatronic didn't wink when it was supposed to or because some slob threw trash on the ground. I understand the challenges of running a business at any scale, especially these days.

I have written in trip reports about finding roaches in our "upgraded" pirate room at CBR, about frustration with automobile access to dining at the Cabins, about salty overpriced meals. None of those things make me think, "Oh, this is awful, I'd never come back." Maybe if they happened on my first trip? I don't know. But I grade the company not on perfection, but how they address imperfection - and most things are addressed just fine if I bother to bring them to the attention of a cast member.

I can be at once disappointed in the thought that I can never ride The Great Movie Ride again, and pleased that I can ride Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway as many times as I'd like - for now. I'm glad I got to experience both. I've had access to more WDW attractions as a result, not fewer, not inferior. I've *never* liked every attraction at WDW. I pick and choose the ones I enjoy most and repeat those. Please don't make me go into the Tiki Room. But I'll sit on Carousel of Progress for repeated showings. Who knows why we connect to what? To each their own.

DisneyHead123

You must remember that Dis once was operating on a much smaller scale and functioning under a very different business model.
I think scale is a big part of the equation. The service and attention to detail have dropped from a “10” to around a “7” over the years. But that is at least offset by the offerings growing exponentially. My parents always reminisce about how Disney food was absolute crap when we went in the 80s. Dry hot dogs and greasy pizza days. What they have built up in the food department is amazing. The technological upgrades in the park are glitchy but still a huge upgrade when viewed as a total arc from the days of land line reservations only to now. Ride offerings have improved overall even though there have been swings and misses along the way. The cruise line and Adventures By Disney exist now, Disney Springs is a cool area, there are new resorts, and so on.

Overall I think you could make a case that the drop in quality has been offset by the number of offerings. I will say that what significantly reduced “The Magic” for me was the loss of FP+. Genie is just so logistically terrible and makes no sense. Rather than distribute riders throughout the day it turns the mornings into “grab whatever you can get” chaos. Not having the ability to make timed reservations makes zero sense and after rushing the rollout, they’ve been very slow to make any corrections. It does feel like maybe there is some disarray at Disney now in that regard, but I’m hopeful this is a temporary dip in a larger arc of growth.

dreday3

We had a different experience recently.

This trip it felt like I finally quit chasing some intangible feeling that I kept looking for every trip - looking for that feeling I had as a child and my parents were young, extended family was there, blah blah blah. It's like I kept trying to recreate what I felt then and honestly, you just can't! Times change, people get older, you know the drill. :)

This trip we just really had a good time. No expectations of some nostalgic magic and turns out no feelings of disappointment. We really enjoyed taking it easy(ish) during the days and enjoying the parks later afternoon to closing them down. Just enjoyed being at Epcot this trip at night - said earlier it gives Chicago summer street fest vibes and we really like it. Even enjoyed DHS this trip, which I normally don't love it.

This trip it felt like we were visiting a place we really enjoy coming back to every few years. No unobtainable magic for me anymore, but just a good time and honestly, I feel relieved about that. And we do plan to go back again but I don't feel melancholy about it anymore, if that makes any sense.

Epcot81Fan

We had a different experience recently.

This trip it felt like I finally quit chasing some intangible feeling that I kept looking for every trip - looking for that feeling I had as a child and my parents were young, extended family was there, blah blah blah. It's like I kept trying to recreate what I felt then and honestly, you just can't! Times change, people get older, you know the drill. :)

This trip we just really had a good time. No expectations of some nostalgic magic and turns out no feelings of disappointment. We really enjoyed taking it easy(ish) during the days and enjoying the parks later afternoon to closing them down. Just enjoyed being at Epcot this trip at night - said earlier it gives Chicago summer street fest vibes and we really like it. Even enjoyed DHS this trip, which I normally don't love it.

This trip it felt like we were visiting a place we really enjoy coming back to every few years. No unobtainable magic for me anymore, but just a good time and honestly, I feel relieved about that. And we do plan to go back again but I don't feel melancholy about it anymore, if that makes any sense.
It’s amazing what happens when you lower your expectations.

That is their entire business model now, convince guests to lower their expectations for show, quality, and service while simultaneously charging exponentially more.

They would love reading your post.

dreday3

It’s amazing what happens when you lower your expectations.

That is their entire business model now, convince guests to lower their expectations for show, quality, and service while simultaneously charging exponentially more.

They would love reading your post.

You misunderstand. I lowered my expectations of finding that "feeling" I kept trying to recreate from the distant past, not of Disney.
I'd explain more, but I think we can all agree it would be a pointless exercise. 😄

AndyS2992

I agree with what is being said here. Went last September, had low expectations from what I had read and still didn't feel like I got great value for the price I paid but I still left feeling pretty satisfied and had a good time and will probably go back again, though no immediate plans. Disneyland California I think will be my next visit with a trip to Disneyland Paris once the Studio expansion is done.

Big gripe for me was Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party, a complete waste of money and will not attend any such after parties again. And I guess the fact that all out quick service meals were hugely over priced and always cold and customer service from young CMs particularly was downright poor or non existent. They could do with a serious attitude adjustment. If you don't want to be there then quit and find another job. Older CMs were always lovely however. The place is definitely lacking basic maintenance and is looking very tired and run down. The 50th anniversary was a complete let down too. But aside from that, I didn't feel it was that much different from my previous trips other than my wallet emptying out much quicker than before.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom