News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Skywise

Told ya!

The concept can still work but the price point/value is not there.

What they could easily do is throw a few more $$$ at the building, add more dining and an enclosed pool (either full indoor or "outdoor" with a facade roof to give the feeling that you're still on a starcruiser) and keep the interior rooms - then add normal transportation to the other parks and sell the rooms at a premium to other deluxe resorts (like plus $100/$200 night) and treat it as a pseudo-star cruiser experience. (maybe keep the dedicated shuttle to Black Spire)

Toss in some Star Wars character interaction available onlly at the resort and I guarantee you that thing would stay full.

Mike S

Update: Indy 5 currently rotten on RT. Glad Iger flew to Cannes to achieve the hat trick in person.

(Ok, ok, only rotten based on a handful of reviews but still a very magical day for the fearless leader)
Yeah, but it’s also critics and not audience. I’m holding out hope I’ll enjoy it solely because of James Mangold.

Brian

At the very least, that’s where they should start: Expand DHS/GE to retrofit Starcuiser and build new attraction using the space. Use the projected revenue from ILL to fund the project.
There's a substantial distance between Galaxy's Edge and Starcruiser, at least as it pertains to expanding Galaxy's Edge proper to the hotel. They also just spent a substantial amount of money reconfiguring the DHS guest and cast parking lots, and the road in between the park and the hotel happens to be the road into DHS cast parking.

Maybe a themed pedestrian bridge would work.

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 21.18.34.png

mattpeto

There's a substantial distance between Galaxy's Edge and Starcruiser, at least as it pertains to expanding Galaxy's Edge proper to the hotel. They also just spent a substantial amount of money reconfiguring the DHS guest and cast parking lots, and the road in between happens to be the road into DHS cast parking.

Maybe a themed pedestrian bridge would work.

View attachment 717258
Yep, they could work it out.

They could build a whole new SW land around Starcruiser if they wanted to.

mightynine

Told ya!

The concept can still work but the price point/value is not there.

What they could easily do is throw a few more $$$ at the building, add more dining and an enclosed pool (either full indoor or "outdoor" with a facade roof to give the feeling that you're still on a starcruiser) and keep the interior rooms - then add normal transportation to the other parks and sell the rooms at a premium to other deluxe resorts (like plus $100/$200 night) and treat it as a pseudo-star cruiser experience. (maybe keep the dedicated shuttle to Black Spire)

Toss in some Star Wars character interaction available onlly at the resort and I guarantee you that thing would stay full.
This apparently wasn’t making enough money with super-premium prices, how the heck would it with more money thrown at it and charging less? It simply doesn’t have enough rooms.

kong1802

Harmonious was bad and so was this hotel but what really had me confused was the Lightning McQueen show in the white box replacing the Villain’s Party. That was an up charge event worth keeping. All you can drink and dancers for the dads, rare character opportunities and fun deserts for the moms and well the kids had fun too.

I support a lot more things the company does than most on here but man why Villains Party?

Are you sure this was at WDW?

Cliff

I have to believe that most of us here are in no way supprised by this. So many of us saw the business model of this hotel and predicted it's downfall right on day one.

What I am supprised at....is that "we" knew this was not going to fly but why did Disney execs and creatives expect this thing to work?

There is a GIGANTIC disconnect between Disney creatives and actual Star Wars fans....and I cant figure out why Disney cant see that.

Figgy1

As someone who doesn’t know much about financials, if they just shutter the building and never use it, they can write it off as a loss, right?

If they repurpose it, can they still do the same?
Different categories but yes expenses come off their taxes. Either way Disney will find a way to come out ahead

Gringrinngghost

What they can do for Star Was Galactic Starcruiser after it closes:

• Open it up as a highly themed immersive hotel.
• For Lunch have the Taste Around the Galaxy as a lunch option thats reservable for all.
• For Dinner, run the Gaya dinner show again reservable for all.
• Open the sublight lounge up to the public that they can access even if it’s reservation system.

They can remove the interactive elements but they can repurpose them:

• Bridge Training can be an upcharge feature open to everyone on a reservation system like the Lightsaber building.
• Lightsaber training can also be like the lightsaber building as a reservation system and be an upcharge feature open to everyone.
• Lightsaber training can also be included an a extra paid feature that’s for the lightsaber building in the park where once you build it, you can “learn” how to use it.

For these options, do have it where you can be transported from Batuu to the ship, but to limit it to if you have a reservation to help deter those going over if they were ultimately to use a reservation system.

Skywise

This apparently wasn’t making enough money with super-premium prices, how the heck would it with more money thrown at it and charging less? It simply doesn’t have enough rooms.
There's $3000/night and then there's $900-$1000/night. For the experience of being on a "star cruiser" many more people will pay, and more importantly find a way to pay $1000/night than $3000/night which is just completely impossible for 90% of the population!

Trauma

I would guess the opposite. Even its detractors can be surprised at how soon its closing (just as many of us were at the axing of Harmonious).
I’m surprised it was ever allowed to open. Who is going over these ideas and thought someone was going to pay that much ?

Maybe you pay that much for Luke, Vader and better theming. What Disney came out with just shows they are completely out of touch with the fans.

Embarrassing.

LittleBuford

I’m surprised it was ever allowed to open. Who is going over these ideas and thought someone was going to pay that much ?

Maybe you pay that much for Luke, Vader and better theming. What Disney came out with just shows they are completely out of touch with the fans.

Embarrassing.
The concept itself seems great to me. I would have paid half of what they were charging to experience it. Others here have indicated the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom