News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

If this proves very costly for Disney, I can see it adversely affecting the company’s broader operations (though perhaps I’m misunderstanding the financial structures involved and worrying for nothing).
they spent over 1 billion on Fast Pass plus system... this isn't even going to cause them to increase the price of churros by a penny
Edit: Joking aside letting Desatnis "win" would be worse for their stocks then spending a couple billion to protect their empire.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m not comfortable with it being called a ‘special taxing district’ multiple times. That’s not why it was created or its purpose.
it's not far off - that's generally what these things are. Special districts so a specific taxing authority can be setup to fufill the distinct needs the district was setup for.

In this case, it was about development and infrastructure for this region to support the Disney company's planned uses for the region

DCBaker

Premium Member

Surferboy567

They are declining to comment, as expected.

"Disney declined to comment on Wednesday."

They really need to do something quickly. This can spiral out of control very quickly (more so than it already has).

I’m sure they are prepping a response but I have thought that before only for them to do nothing.

scottieRoss

Well Disney could effectively rubber stamp permits and whereas UNI has to go a far more orthodox route by goingto the city to have permits approved. I'm hoping with the 'District formally known as RCID' that supervisor board uses their powers for good and block permits which will cause changes that erode culture.
I think you are confused. Disney did not approve permits. Reedy Creek along with SFWMD approve the permits. Disney has no rubber stamp.
Secondly, the purpose of building permits have nothing to do with culture. And if that were used as a condition for building permits, it would be struck down faster than you can say "I have no clue"

el_super

To those Disney fans here who aren’t bothered by what’s happening: Are you not concerned at all about the potential long-term impact of all this nonsense on the running of the parks and the company’s creative endeavours?

The company's long term creative endeavours are and always will be shaped by long term market trends. Nothing said or done in Florida is going to change that.

The pushback they are seeing though may be something they end up having to address. If you end up in a situation where a red audience will only want red content, but a blue audience will accept blue and sometimes red, it's going to make more financial sense to make more red content. That situation puts creatives in a position of having to be told what they can and cannot do and can cause friction on the business side rather than the audience.

I remember a few articles being posted in the post Iger world mentioning how Iger's teams wouldn't allow creatives to be more open and create the inclusive content they wanted for those very reasons. Now that he's back, there might be another shift back toward restricting content creators.

As far as park ops go: maybe it will be a bigger problem. Disney needs to attract employees and patrons from both sides. Overall, as time marches on, things will get more progressive but in the mean time? How do you attract employees that don't agree with your politics?

maxairmike

continuing this thought.. I wonder if this is a multi-stage ploy by the district

phase 1
1 - play disney evil doesn't allow housing where it's needed
2 - play affordable housing being offered - see we are a board of the people! We the people!!

phase 2
3 - take land via eminent domain and/or land use plans for said housing
4 - contract out building housing to some friendly parties for a nice grift party
5 - move in people that now believe this board and "friends of Ron" are the reason they have cheaper housing.. and now some votes

phase 3
6 - Now you have more residents in the district and different land owners - change the district charter to change the land voting rights so that they have a future defense against disney ever being the single biggest voting block again

if not all of this, at least some of it seems to be the game they are playing

This is 100% what is on the table. The individual parts were all mentioned at least once during the meeting, even if not all together and stated as such. That the mention of eminent domain today hasn’t been a bigger talking point (that I’ve seen) means they succeeded in slipping it past most everyone, which does somewhat concern me. They will try to get the entirety of this plan implemented, whether it’s with housing or additional commercial development to fund their legal fees.

Honestly, what annoys me the most though is that the RCFD doesn’t seem to grasp that the likelihood of serious increases in both pay and head count are dependent on a short legal battle (obviously not going to happen because this board has no intention of not continually testing the limits of their power in their mission of controlling WDW and Disney creative output) and/or raising serious extra funds via taxes/fees/etc which is also likely to not be easily given into by Disney. While I sympathize with their issues and would agree they should have more budget (as is generally the case for most FDs), the reality is what it is, and this Board is unlikely to follow through with the results they still seem to think will happen.

Disney Analyst

I own a small theatre and would never put a political sign on the facade because it alienates half my customers. Nobody needs to know my political affiliation. The fact I have a right is irrelevant. I’m in the business of entertainment and smiles.

And that is totally your right! Now imagine if the government punished you for NOT openly showing your support to them on your sign?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Honestly, what annoys me the most though is that the RCFD doesn’t seem to grasp that the likelihood of serious increases in both pay and head count are dependent on a short legal battle
I think they are just playing brown nose to the new boss who has been using them as a token to show how much better they are going to do things and fix all the evil things the past board did.

It's easy for the board to just throw them a bone about a boat that won't change responses much and promise them new union wages that someone else will pay for through new raised fees.

It's an easy endoresement for the board... everyone loves fire fighters... and they can hand out the candy because it doesn't cost themselves anything.

Plus they want RCFD to be their puppets because public safety is a avenue that is well within the District's scope and is a method they can use to force Disney to do things.

RCFD are the ones being shortsighted because they just want their raise.. and turning a blind eye to the puppets they will expect to be.

Stripes

@Stripes, what does the statute provide as the consequence for lack of notice? I know it's somewhere here but this thread is blowing up. I would imagine it's also important who is challenging lack of notice - it's rarely fatal unless there is some real legal consequence.
Based on prior Florida case law, it would likely be fatal to the development agreement if it was determined that the mailed notices were required and RCID failed to do so.

Now the restrictive covenants are another matter, but I personally view the development agreement as far more important to the future of WDW.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Disney Analyst

Based on prior Florida case law, it would likely be fatal to the development agreement if it was determined that the mailed notices were required and RCID failed to do so.

Now the restrictive covenants are another matter, but I personally view the development agreement as far more important to the future of WDW.

I've heard some rumblings that because those affected are Disney Employees, it may not matter or they may have been sent direct notice another way?

Unsure.

Also heard some say the only people that could speak out ARE those properties affected (Disney employees), so unless one of them rises and complains they didn't get a mailed noticed... the board can't do much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom