Mission Space chopping block speculation? Do we trust this source?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I can’t imagine what would replace it, guardians kind of took over the space ride territory. Now I doubt Horizons or anything like it or even comparable would come in but if they were to do such a thing after all these changes and addition of IP they really would be meeting half way between the generic Disney crowd and the Epcot purists.

URL unfurl="true"]https:///2023/03/historic-epcot-ride-facing-closure-zg1/[/URL]

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I can’t imagine what would replace it, guardians kind of took over the space ride territory. Now I doubt Horizons or anything like it or even comparable would come in but if they were to do such a thing after all these changes and addition of IP they really would be meeting half way between the generic Disney crowd and the Epcot purists.

I don’t see what source you’re basing the rumors on…could there be a new space based ride? Sure, it’s possible, but realistically, aren’t there enough “blue sky” rumors already floating around without adding this?
Let TWDC address what they have because if there’s one thing Tron should’ve taught us is that they can’t handle multiple major items on their plate the way they used to.

Poseidon Quest

If they're not going to tear out Imagination and replace it, why would they touch this? That being said, I can certainly see them closing it or turning into a seasonal attraction. I have to imagine that the attendance it receives doesn't really justify the operating costs. While the same might be said for Imagination as well, at least that ride is much more accessible for all demographics.

zipadee999

The source doesn’t say that this is something that Disney is actually planning to do, but rather suggests that it is peripherally on their radar as an attraction that is not well liked and could be an option for removal. Personally I’d love to see it go. It’s unpleasant, outdated, and doesn’t have a draw. There’s no ‘wow’ moment that the other rides have. It feels like a tight, claustrophobic simulator that was built in 2003.

It also lost its originality with other rides that do the same exact thing but better. Guardians right next door serves as a vastly superior space flight experience. Smuggler’s run also takes the ‘drive your own spaceship’ idea and does it way better. I’d even argue that the realistic flight deck feel can be achieved right across the way at Soarin. Mission Space serves no purpose now other than to be the posterchild of the clickbait articles about ‘scary Disney rides.’

I do wonder if a new and updated version of Horizons could be an option to replace it down the line, seeing that Horizons has become more and more popular in recent years due to the internet. They replaced universe of energy with an intense thrill ride, and although I like guardians more than energy, it does leave World Discovery pretty lopsided, as Guardians, Space, and Test Track are all quite intense. I wonder if this is their sign to do a reverse-guardians, and replace an unpopular thrill ride with a modern family attraction.

A new Horizons could serve as the centerpiece of the ‘new’ Epcot, because the park, especially its new vision, lacks a thesis attraction. Epcot currently doesn’t have an attraction that represents what the whole park is about, old and new. What better way to do this than with a new and improved Horizons? A park about the future needs to have a way to see what the future could be like!

They could demo Mission Space and build from the ground up, or they could even gut Mission Space and use as much of the current building as possible, maybe with a slight expansion out of the back. What works perfectly is the space restaurant, as it takes you to the Centauri space station FROM horizons, so nothing at all would need to be changed!

Smiley/OCD

If they're not going to tear out Imagination and replace it, why would they touch this? That being said, I can certainly see them closing it or turning into a seasonal attraction. I have to imagine that the attendance it receives doesn't really justify the operating costs. While the same might be said for Imagination as well, at least that ride is much more accessible for all demographics.
With all the upcoming space exploration on the horizon, I can definitely see them changing the missions, IMHO, they should have never changed the experience on the green version…that being said, but sure, get Elon to sponsor it and make if Space X missions to space. (With free Twitter accessibility in the queue), lol

Goofyernmost

It would be a damn shame to lose Mission: Space. Yes, Guardians is probably a more up to date attraction but it also is able to attract a limited audience and without MS, green side, at least those people would have no place to go for their mini-thrill. They just need to keep it for as long as anyone is going to it. It was fun and at the time of it's newly opened time, was the most awesome ride I had ever been on. They invested a lot of money into it and unless they can "con" another deep pocketed sponsor again, they just need to use it at least until it quits working completely. To me it was a unique type of ride and although people with middle ear problems had a lot of problem, most of which was solved by having the orange and green sides where at the time were basically the same ride just not as intense as the orange. It was fun and less hard on my G-Force tolerance. Then they changed it to the lame flight over the earth one.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Oh just a change in theming for the centrifuge is needed. Remove any of the "Mission to Mars" styling and replace with a global preparer of daiquiris and margaritas.
Or they could just reshape the missiles to resemble one of Jeff Bezo's phallic symbols and we'd be right up to speed.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

They wouldn’t have redone the ride film and built Space 220, which is operated by a third party who has invested money into that venture, if they were going to tear it down soon.

Now Seas may be on the chopping as they’ve discussed moving the marine life over to DAK as part of their long term planning.

WorldExplorer

I don't believe it for reasons other people have highlighted, but if it happened, I think there's zero chance of Horizons coming back. As much as I like to consider myself a retro Epcot fan, I think there's a strange tendency within that fandom to see ourselves as a lot more numerous and having a lot more sway than we really are/do. They realized people will buy merchandise with old stuff on it. That does not translate into a multimillion dollar investment into a ride.

If they wanted to appease old Epcot fans, none of the crap they've done in the past few years would have happened.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

First off it's an Inside the Magic post.. So, we can assume it's pure bull...
bugs-bunny-looney-tunes.gif

And second...
tumblr_mgztqjkqsm1qh2o7zo1_r1_500.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom