News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

EPCOTCenterLover

Plus it was a world-wide box-office hit and scored a mess of awards. Cinematically, it's probably Walt's crown jewel. It holds up beautifully to this day. It deserves a land of its own. A dark ride, shops, restaurants - all of that. (Although I don't know if today's Imagineers are up to doing a good job of it.) It's funny that Disney's version of Alice in Wonderland gets more theme park presence than Poppins, given that the former didn't achieve anything like the success of the latter. The lack of Poppins in the parks, as you say, is abysmal indeed. And with the soulless dunderhead Iger in charge of the company, we'll probably never see Walt's best film get anything like its due. Tragic.
Speaking of Alice in Wonderland comparisons, I wish they use Poppins to create a "mini-land" in the UK, similar to what Disneyland has with Alice. That part of Fantasyland is so charming and well done.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
It's a difference of degree. If SotS didn't include the unfortunate portrayal of Uncle Remus and the sharecroppers but only contained the animated shorts, then I'm sure it wouldn't have been much of an issue.
I 100% agree with you.

It's definitely bizarre the way Disney has created an issue with the ride since it only includes the animated shorts and not the live action scenes.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm sure some (internally and externally) view Disney as far more important and powerful than Norway. So... "magical" nation > "sovereign" nation?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Doesn’t Frozen 2 take place in Canada though? I’ve never seen it, but I distinctly remember the trailer featuring swirling maple leaves and paper birch forests.

Downy, Silver and dwarf Birch trees are indigenous to Norway and there are quite a few more different deciduous types like betula pendula, wych elm, linden, oak, aspen, hazel, juniper.

FettFan

Downy, Silver and dwarf Birch trees are indigenous to Norway and there are quite a few more different deciduous types like betula pendula, wych elm, linden, oak, aspen, hazel, juniper.

Aye. But the folks behind Frozen 2 specifically selected Sugar Maple. Sugar Maple is primarily found in Quebec and the Maritime Provinces.

maxresdefault.jpg

For comparison, here are the Sugar Maple leaf on the left vs. the Norway Maple on the right:

2000.jpeg

Just like the leaf Olaf is holding, the Sugar Maple has 5 leaf tips, compared to the Norway Maple’s 7.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Aye. But the folks behind Frozen 2 specifically selected Sugar Maple. Sugar Maple is primarily found in Quebec and the Maritime Provinces.

maxresdefault.jpg

For comparison, here are the Sugar Maple leaf on the left vs. the Norway Maple on the right:

2000.jpeg

Just like the leaf Olaf is holding, the Sugar Maple has 5 leaf tips, compared to the Norway Maple’s 7.
This may be a situation similar to why so many animated characters only have four fingers... easier to draw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom