Worst ride in Hollywood Studios?

Worst ride?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
toy-story-alien-swirling-saucers-portrait-family-16x9.jpg

Mickey__Minnie%E2%80%99s_Runaway_Railway_-_Coming_March_4_2020_to_Hollywood_Studios_Walt_Disney_World_Resort_-_2020-02-06_12.33.45.png

smugglers-run-interior-16x9.jpg

448992-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios.jpg

toy-story-slinky-dog-ride-16x9.jpg

Star-Tours-as-pictured-in-2019.jpg

toy-story-mania-gallery00.jpg

twilight-zone-tower-of-terror-00.jpg

What is the WORST ride in Hollywood Studios?

UNCgolf

Smuggler's Run. I'd rather ride it than Alien Swirling Saucers if both were a walk-on, but it's not fair to compare them in a one to one manner. They were built for different purposes. Alien Swirling Saucers is pretty good in terms of what it's supposed to be (a flat ride for kids); Smuggler's Run is not.

Last edited:

AndyS2992

Toss up between Smugglers Run and Swirling Saucers.

Swirling saucers is a basic flat ride, not a particularly interesting one but I’m sure kids like it. It’s very short but is what it is. I didn’t get much out of it. They have a similar ride at Disneyland Paris themed to Cars which is much more fun given it makes actual full rotations rather than just half turns.

Smugglers Run however is just Star Tours 3, and not as good as it’s predecessors either. How good the ride is is fully in control of the people put in charge of piloting. Obviously pilot is the most fun and desirable role but I rode it once and was given the less desirable engineer role whilst two very young girls were given the pilot role who had no idea what they were doing obviously and resulted in a very crashy and bumpy ride where nothing was achieved. Was funny but wasn’t worth the wait at all and seemed rather lacklustre all round.

Realistically the worst ride is Swirling Saucers but from a personal satisfaction level, Smugglers Run proved most disappointing and therefore gets my worst ride vote.

thomas998

You have to look at this for what they were intended to be and also factor in the upkeep on them. I like Toy Story Mania, but honestly the past few times we've ridden someone in the family would sometimes have things not working the way they should have been... not nearly as bad as Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blaster, but give it a bit more time and it could easily become as crappy.

TalkToEthan

Worst ride?!

At face value there is only one obvious answer: .
Alien Saucer is the second most basic, cheap thing on property, just edging your garden variety Flighing Carpet and the like spin jobs.

Most disappointing would be a tie for Smuggler and Dinky Dog

Last edited:

celluloid

Toy Story Mania is a weird meta that I just can't get into. The ride itself would be fun and interactive but is not very physical. Its a 4D film to 4D film shooting experience with awkward seating and terrible capacity, even with the third there is far too often a wait. The only true indoor attraction of a Toy Story Land.

Creatively it is Meta with the name by its own characters being Toy Story, yet we are in Andy's bedroom. The scale is inconsistent with the land as well as its own ride. We are never told why we are there and the theme of oversized toys and mostly giant props and painetd walls is overused and does not change.

Smuggler's run would be my second but at least the surrounding area and queue for it has the right feel. The capacity is much better, it just needed to have a lower height requirement.

Musical Mermaid

I'd like to choose 5 of these for different reasons, but I went with Star Tours since it routinely has the lowest wait time in a park that needs more capacity and I can't ride it due to how much motion sickness it causes. I've never ridden Alien Swirling Saucer, but that is a basic carnival ride, so it's nothing special, but I don't think it's trying to be. Toy Story Mania should be replaced by a regular dark ride instead of being a moving Shootin Arcade. Mickey and Minnie's is an abomination of a bunch of projections on walls in what used to house so many intricate scenes with animatronics. And Smuggler's Run is another one and done since the ride doesn't take you anywhere special, it's like another boring video game mission.

NelleBelle

It was a tough call between Alien Swirling Saucers and Smugglers Run for me. Frankly, the line has always been too long to ride A.S.S. so in all fairness I've never ridden it. And MF:SR is only ok if you do the pilot position. Even if you have someone who "knows what they're doing" in the pilots position (my 2 DS are total gamers and we ended up in the engineers spot--still totally lame). My mom likes it so I suppose if the ride time is shortish (ha, yeah right) we'd do it. But at least the queue is interesting in MF:SR. The queue for A.S.S. is terrible, even for kids. So my vote went to A.S.S. for worst ride.

celluloid

Smuggler's Run and Toy Story Mania remind me of what would be the main draws in a Disneyquest if Disney had one opening next year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Smugglers Run is terrible because it tried to be 1 of 2 great attractions and absolutely failed.
A lot of misses in that neck of the woods
You don't need to admit that you've never ridden; all riders and non riders are still qualified to safely draw a conclusion since the entire RIDE ‐ queue and all ‐ is layed out for all to see.
FTFY
Oddly enough, Smugglers Run is just PoTC battle for Buccaneer Gold in a SW universe with Mission Space elements thrown in for extra measure...
Based on a failed movie that really never “got” the basic appeal of Star Wars…

Han Solo was loved for being a GI JOE…not Jack sparrow

Cmdr_Crimson

If they had leveled Swirling Saucers and Jessie's Lunch Box we could've had a decent size Pizza Planet and still use Pixar way for access to and from the area..

Goofyernmost

Smugglers turned out to be Mission: Space in a different vehicle. It was also billed as a ride that you could control. I don't know if that is true because I never got to be a pilot. The promotions implied that you could fly the ship (simulated). I don't see how that was anymore possible then M.S. The queue was very detailed and gave you the impression that you were in the Falcon but from where I was sitting just about all I could see clearly was the back of the head of the person in front of me. Not impressed. The rest deliver by being what they are said they are and what they appear to be. Just a themed ride. The problem with us is that we always seem to expect our champagne tastes to be accomplished by our beer pocketbook. The place needs variety and if they were all E's there'd be about half of what is there now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Smugglers turned out to be Mission: Space in a different vehicle. It was also billed as a ride that you could control. I don't know if that is true because I never got to be a pilot. The promotions implied that you could fly the ship (simulated). I don't see how that was anymore possible then M.S. The queue was very detailed and gave you the impression that you were in the Falcon but from where I was sitting just about all I could see clearly was the back of the head of the person in front of me. Not impressed. The rest deliver by being what they are said they are and what they appear to be. Just a themed ride. The problem with us is that we always seem to expect our champagne tastes to be accomplished by our beer pocketbook. The place needs variety and if they were all E's there'd be about half of what is there now.
It’s actually a toned down version of flight of passage…it’s on a hydraulic platform

The problem is they’ve gotten lazy with indoor rides…and video game style shooters…and sims

People are gonna go bug nuts for tron…as they did guardians…and slinky…and mine train.

Reason: gravity.

Humans instinctually love speed and movement. Most…at least 😎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom