Please fix the monorail!

TQQQ

Original Poster
CAN WDW PLEASE FIX THE MONORAILS!!!!!!!!!

When is WDW going to upgrade the dated and troublesome Monorail system?

The cars are decades beyond their original service life. The problems are endless (doors falling off, breakdowns, filthy, etc)

This is one of the signature experiences that people associate their trips to Disney with.

Look how successful the Skyliner has been and the demand for people wanting to stay at a Skyliner resort because of it.

This is a major problem and part of the recent issues that people have with the company.........

It needs to be repaired/replaced.........The company looks cheap by band aiding the problem

Please fix it properly.........Its in everyone's best interest

JoeCamel

CAN WDW PLEASE FIX THE MONORAILS!!!!!!!!!

When is WDW going to upgrade the dated and troublesome Monorail system?

The cars are decades beyond their original service life. The problems are endless (doors falling off, breakdowns, filthy, etc)

This is one of the signature experiences that people associate their trips to Disney with.

Look how successful the Skyliner has been and the demand for people wanting to stay at a Skyliner resort because of it.

This is a major problem and part of the recent issues that people have with the company.........

It needs to be repaired/replaced.........The company looks cheap by band aiding the problem

Please fix it properly.........Its in everyone's best interest
Did it work? Did they fix it?

ppete1975

Before 2020 there was a huge thread about this subject and we all seemed quasi hopeful they were coming. I think we have all given up at this point. I know I have went from they cant remove them they are iconic and in advertising. But the changes over the last 3 years and with the quietness on the monorail front, ive lost hope.
The only thing that gives me hope is the monorail hotels and epcot to the magic kingdom loop (of course they didnt run that for months during 2020 and people didnt riot).

JIMINYCR

Last I read monorail trains were in the ballpark of $4- 8 million to replace, more depending on the style. Dis is going to continue to fix and repair as a less costly venture for now. The lines aren’t going down to the extent that they aren’t functioning.

ppete1975

Last I read monorail trains were in the ballpark of $4- 8 million to replace, more depending on the style. Dis is going to continue to fix and repair as a less costly venture for now. The lines aren’t going down to the extent that they aren’t functioning.
theres a point either the beams will need to be replaced (not soon) or the monorails will no longer be financially viable to repair.
Can you imagine if at D23 they had announced a 10 year plan on monorails people would have went nuts. I dont think they are even looking at replacement and I am sure it takes several years to get new ones. I was watching the nova special on the new london tube and they were talking about bombadier building their trains, and it reminded me of how hopeful we all were a few years ago.

castlecake2.0

Someone fact check me please, but aren’t the current WDW monorail like 20 years past the time they should have been replaced?
Not sure if there is actual data on a specific lifetime on them. I would think they could get at least another ten years out of them if they continue to refurbish them. When it gets to a point where it’s cheaper to get new trains then to continue to repair them that’s when their life will be over.

ETA that people are quick to blame the monorail being down is because of the trains age, when there’s other factors that can also cause downtime, like the kid that threw a basketball over the railing at GF the other day and proceeded to hop the railing to try to get it triggering an e-stop 😑

JoeCamel

Before 2020 there was a huge thread about this subject and we all seemed quasi hopeful they were coming. I think we have all given up at this point. I know I have went from they cant remove them they are iconic and in advertising. But the changes over the last 3 years and with the quietness on the monorail front, ive lost hope.
The only thing that gives me hope is the monorail hotels and epcot to the magic kingdom loop (of course they didnt run that for months during 2020 and people didnt riot).
I think you got the decision once they pulled them in for full refits. Can't alter the poor design or layout much without rebuilding the entire system so it will be refurb after refurb to keep it limping along. If the rumored track joint problem turns out fatal you might see a different entrance configuration to move people from the lots to the gates

Disstevefan1

In comparison, She Hulk cost 25 million per episode, 9 episodes = $225 million.

I can only remember tiny moments of that series and will probably never re watch it.

JIMINYCR

4 to 8 million?!?!

Relative to gross sales and being the centerpiece of transportation for the most visited park in the world Monorail needs to be 4 or 5 times more reliable than it currently is.

$8 million is nothing in this context
That’s for one. WDW had a fleet of 12, which would cost 96 million and that doesn’t include retrofitting systems to run them as well as operational costs. You don’t just replace one for another and it’s done.
As a total I agree it’s nothing compared to what Dis pulls in as a yearly total but any business, Dis included has budgets to plan expense pay outs and other places where expenses that money is needed. Using funds from one area takes away funds for something else. Would you accept not having an attraction and substitute the monorail. Monorails don’t bring in money, while a new attraction draws paying guests in droves.

Disstevefan1

That’s for one. WDW had a fleet of 12, which would cost 96 million and that doesn’t include retrofitting systems to run them as well as operational costs. You don’t just replace one for another and it’s done.
As a total I agree it’s nothing compared to what Dis pulls in as a yearly total but any business, Dis included has budgets to plan expense pay outs and other places where expenses that money is needed. Using funds from one area takes away funds for something else. Would you accept not having an attraction and substitute the monorail. Monorails don’t bring in money, while a new attraction draws paying guests in droves.
The fact that TWDC spent 225 million on She Hulk shows the company has the money but simply chooses NOT to send money on WDW monorails.

The Colonel

They would spend the money in a minute if they could use it as an event/advertisement like a new ride. They much prefer capex to maintenance. However replacing the monorail is not sexy enough to get them attention.

The incentive would be eliminating jobs. If the monorail investment eliminated jobs, that would entice them. They love cutting jobs.

Disstevefan1

They would spend the money in a minute if they could use it as an event/advertisement like a new ride. They much prefer capex to maintenance. However replacing the monorail is not sexy enough to get them attention.

The incentive would be eliminating jobs. If the monorail investment eliminated jobs, that would entice them. They love cutting jobs.
The iridescent skin they put on the DLR monorails is super sexy and that cost nothing relatively speaking.

Goofyernmost

They won't fix it, if enough people hassel them they will just delete it. They will replace them with more gondolas. It isn't the monorail trains anyway. It is a flaw showing up after 50 years of service appearing to be someplace in the track itself that is the current problem and it doesn't sound like it can be fixed completely in just a day or two. So buckle up, it may take some time.

JIMINYCR

The fact that TWDC spent 225 million on She Hulk shows the company has the money but simply chooses NOT to send money on WDW monorails.
But you can’t explain it away that way. Dis is one company but operates with multi divisions that operate independently from the others. Parks and resorts division doesn’t operate from the same budget as television and studio entertainment. Funds aren’t drawn away from one area to suit another because there’s a need.
It’s not like a household budget operating from one paycheck that you take gas money from grocery money one week from another as needed.

Disstevefan1

But you can’t explain it away that way. Dis is one company but operates with multi divisions that operate independently from the others. Parks and resorts division doesn’t operate from the same budget as television and studio entertainment. Funds aren’t drawn away from one area to suit another because there’s a need.
It’s not like a household budget operating from one paycheck that you take gas money from grocery money one week from another as needed.
TWDC will never admit it, but they take money from divisions to pay for stuff in other divisions. They move money around for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom