News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

Rich T

It did because forcing Princess and the Frog into a building never designed for it and putting tacky six flags smoke stacks on it is beyond cringy and disrespectful.
Everyone’s got their Disney-crossed-the-line point. Mine involved pancakes.

Really, though, I think previous changes have been far worse: Changing the treehouse to Tarzan, changing Tom Sawyer to Pirate’s Lair, cutting the river’s length to build an ugly and boring Star Wars land, bulldozing Country Bear playhouse for a mediocre C ticket dark ride..,

And the two things I really believe would have made Walt cry out in anger:

1) What they did to Main Street’s Penny Arcade

and

2) Letting the PeopleMover tracks rot in full view of the public. For 22 years and counting.

PiratesMansion

You make no sense. I have clearly stated HMH bothers me. And again- Pirates is still a ride that gets long queues. If sooo many people hated Jack Sparrow there wouldn't be long lines. People don't go on rides they don't like, ESPECIALLY Disney fans. Tons of women love seeing a Johnny Depp robot on Pirates and swoon over it. Hate to break it to you but your personal hang up does not mean everyone hates the changes made to the ride.
Long queues is not a sign of quality, sorry. If it was, Rocket Rods would have been the best ride in the park when it was around and...yeah no. This is not to say that Pirates is a bad ride, but it's certainly as good of a ride it used to be prior to the changes. Many people may not feel the same way I feel, and that's fine, but nonetheless, it AND HMH clearly show that IP in New Orleans Square is not a new concern.

Also, quoting again for emphasis:

Tons of women love seeing a Johnny Depp robot on Pirates and swoon over it.

WUT.

Rich T

…Yes I am complaining about it because it is only being done to try and compliment the crappy decision to change Splash Mountain not because every one has been dying for a Princess Tiana restraurant. The movie bombed. Let's call it what it is. Disney is only changing Splash to appear Passive Progressive and woke. So adding a restaurant with tacky smoke stacks on top ruins the natural beauty of the land and make no mistake, New Orleans Square is still gorgeous…
Ok, as others have pointed out, here it is. You’re only opposed to IPs you don’t like. That’s human.

But changing Splash’s theme was inevitable. Walt probably would have changed it himself had he lived long enough to witness how poorly Song of the South had aged.

PatF didn’t bomb. A respectable-but-nonblockbuster box office run is not a bomb. And the film has very much found its audience—particularly with the last two generations—through home viewings, and is now a much-loved and appreciated classic.

And PatF’s music and plot fit Splash perfectly; what a match made in Heaven. I was bummed to hear the new ride is not using those elements, but we’ll just have to see how it turns out.

Californian Elitist

PatF didn’t bomb. That’s quite far-fetched. And to question why Disney is using this film as inspiration for Splash’s replacement is silly, at this point. But we know where questioning and wondering is coming from: disappointment. Oh well.

If any movie is to replace SotS, it’s PatF. It makes a lot of sense and is very logical.

Mickey's Pal

The concept art isn’t a photograph
Concept art shows intent of what they plan to bui
Long queues is not a sign of quality, sorry. If it was, Rocket Rods would have been the best ride in the park when it was around and...yeah no. This is not to say that Pirates is a bad ride, but it's certainly as good of a ride it used to be prior to the changes. Many people may not feel the same way I feel, and that's fine, but nonetheless, it AND HMH clearly show that IP in New Orleans Square is not a new concern.

Also, quoting again for emphasis:

WUT.
My point is, Pirates is always busy despite the changes. People love Jack on the ride even more so now that Johnny won his lawsuit.

Mickey's Pal

PatF didn’t bomb. That’s quite far-fetched. And to question why Disney is using this film as inspiration for Splash’s replacement is silly, at this point. But we know where questioning and wondering is coming from: disappointment. Oh well.

If any movie is to replace SotS, it’s PatF. It makes a lot of sense and is very logical.
Sorry you don't like facts but facts don't care about your feelings. The movie was a major financial loss.

Mickey's Pal

At the end of its theatrical run, PatF did indeed have a loss of $23 million.

It then went on to have $188 million in DVD and BluRay sales.

And it sold a lot of merch, especially as part of the Disney Princess Brand.

PatF has been profitable for Disney. That's not what bombs do.
That is still awful in sales. Movie bombed hard. And its toys collected dust.

Mickey's Pal

Ok, as others have pointed out, here it is. You’re only opposed to IPs you don’t like. That’s human.

But changing Splash’s theme was inevitable. Walt probably would have changed it himself had he lived long enough to witness how poorly Song of the South had aged.

PatF didn’t bomb. A respectable-but-nonblockbuster box office run is not a bomb. And the film has very much found its audience—particularly with the last two generations—through home viewings, and is now a much-loved and appreciated classic.

And PatF’s music and plot fit Splash perfectly; what a match made in Heaven. I was bummed to hear the new ride is not using those elements, but we’ll just have to see how it turns out.
I am opposed to any IP being inserted where it doesn't belong. I love The Nightmare Before Christmas but is has no buisness in The Haunted Mansion let alone New Orleans Square so you are wrong.

Mickey's Pal

Everyone’s got their Disney-crossed-the-line point. Mine involved pancakes.

Really, though, I think previous changes have been far worse: Changing the treehouse to Tarzan, changing Tom Sawyer to Pirate’s Lair, cutting the river’s length to build an ugly and boring Star Wars land, bulldozing Country Bear playhouse for a mediocre C ticket dark ride..,

And the two things I really believe would have made Walt cry out in anger:

1) What they did to Main Street’s Penny Arcade

and

2) Letting the PeopleMover tracks rot in full view of the public. For 22 years and counting.
Fair points. I am just against shoving a IP into a land that does not need it. Especially for a IP that did horrible at the box office.

_caleb

Concept art shows intent of what they plan to build
He said that the smokestacks look like cartoons and conflict with the other rooflines and architecture. He hasn’t seen the thing- it hasn’t been built yet. So he’s basing his opinion on this concept art.

085DFB83-8614-4936-ADA9-0E08DCFFF248.jpeg

D.Silentu

@mickEblu Seeing that art again, it hit me like lightning that you're absolutely right about the smokestack facade facing the Haunted Mansion and not the river. Slow on the uptake over here! Now that I'm up to speed, I sure hope the footprint of the restaurant is not changing. Among other reasons I would like the stage to stay, though if the balcony is designed to accommodate musicians that would be a fine compromise.

mickEblu

@mickEblu Seeing that art again, it hit me like lightning that you're absolutely right about the smokestack facade facing the Haunted Mansion and not the river. Slow on the uptake over here! Now that I'm up to speed, I sure hope the footprint of the restaurant is not changing. Among other reasons I would like the stage to stay, though if the balcony is designed to accommodate musicians that would be a fine compromise.

I’d be very happy if there is no footprint change or impact on Magnolia Park. I just don’t think they’d go through all the trouble of turning it into “Tiana’s Palace” and not want to make sure it’s much more visible. As it currently stands the whole building is pretty much surrounded by trees. Then again, they’re making Tiana’s “Palace” a tiny quick service restaurant so maybe this is more of a modest retheme.

I agree on the musicians. I’d imagine live music will be sticking around considering it’s themed to PatF/ Tiana. If they do have to move the musicians, the balcony would be a great place.

Rich T

Sorry you don't like facts but facts don't care about your feelings. The movie was a major financial loss.
…and has gone on to become a beloved classic among millions of people, creating another strong IP for the company. It’ll still be entertaining children and adults a hundred years from now, long after even Disneyland has (very likely) disappeared into history.

If a movie is good, it finds its audience and becomes a great long-term investment for the studio. PatF is a good movie.

Heck, Strange World (a good but flawed film) really DID bomb, but it’s already finding an audience through Disney+. I predict even Strange World will end up becoming a classic. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom