News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

SuddenStorm

Because at the time, the film was one of the weaker box office releases of that Disney/Pixar era, did not have any cultural impact, and was not a merchandise driver. It would have actually been odd for them to even consider making PATF a permanent addition to any theme park, just like nobody would have suggested a Bolt or Chicken Little attraction/restaurant (which both performed better than PATF).

Animated releases of the era (in 2009 dollars):

2005 Chicken Little $341M
2007 Ratatouille $647
2008 Bolt $328M
2008 Wall E $531M
2009 Princess and the Frog $271M
2009 Up $731M
2010 Tangled $575M

I can only leave it up to your speculation why 24 years later this particular IP deserves both a major E ticket attraction and restaurant in two different areas.

I had a post written up mentioning that it is a bit strange for a movie to get this treatment 13 years after release- then scrolled up and saw this!

It is important to note, everything about the new stuff is focused around Tiana- less so the film or the characters or music. Tiana as a character/icon does have cultural appeal.

The IP lends itself to a restaurant first and foremost- this is perhaps the best conceived Tiana addition to Disneyland. Certainly way more appropriate than Tiana's Bayou Adventure or the store they added in New Orleans Square. AND if Tiana's cooking is supposed to be great- Disney's gonna have to make sure they do the menu justice.

Rich T

Really? Did they tear all the buildings down and rebuild them? Nope. Did they remove Pirates and Mansion and the New Orleans trian station? No. Did they remove the beautiful views of The Rivers of America from New Orleans Square? No. Did they get ride of singers and bands that play? No. So please explain your point of view. I'll wait. I would LOVE to hear this.
The mangling of the original NoS architecture, the transformation of the courtyard into a crowded, unpleasant merch location and the removal of the Art Gallery have hurt the area, in my opinion, far more than a New Orleans themed character restaurant will.

Seriously, with the all the garbage that’s happened to the DL experience in the last few decades, THIS is what pushed your buttons?

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Really? Did they tear all the buildings down and rebuild them? Nope. Did they remove Pirates and Mansion and the New Orleans trian station? No. Did they remove the beautiful views of The Rivers of America from New Orleans Square? No. Did they get ride of singers and bands that play? No. So please explain your point of view. I'll wait. I would LOVE to hear this.
You honestly equate buildings being intact, views, rides from the early years still being at the park, and singers/bands still being hired to sing/play as no change??? REALLY?? If we’re talking rides alone, your argument is invalid; Pirates today is not the same Pirates from 1966, and Mansion opened AFTER Walt passed. Even if it had opened in 1966, it’s now a Nightmare Before Christmas ride for three or four months of the year, and has been for 20+ years. What that movie has to do with New Orleans, I have no clue. But you’re complaining about a restaurant being converted to a theme based on a movie that actually takes places in New Orleans.

Based on these things alone, Walt Disney would not recognize NOS. Want me to keep going??

PiratesMansion

You honestly equate buildings being intact, views, rides from the early years still being at the park, and singers/bands still being hired to sing/play as no change??? REALLY?? If we’re talking rides alone, your argument is invalid; Pirates today is not the same Pirates from 1966, and Mansion opened AFTER Walt passed. Even if it had opened in 1966, it’s now a Nightmare Before Christmas ride for three or four months of the year, and has been for 20+ years. Based on these things alone, Walt Disney would not recognize NOS.

Want me to keep going??
I can't believe I forgot about HMH! So IP-ifying NOS has been happening for over 20 years and counting.

Californian Elitist

I can't believe I forgot about HMH! So IP-ifying NOS has been happening for over 20 years and counting.
It really has! I won’t exaggerate and say that NOS becomes Nightmare Before Christmas land during the holidays, but the IP definitely encroaches, and not just with HMH. The merchandise everywhere, themed snacks, Jack and Sally walking around… NOS is a completely different feel starting in September, at least for me.

PiratesMansion

It really has! I won’t exaggerate and say that NOS becomes Nightmare Before Christmas land during the holidays, but the IP definitely encroaches, and not just with HMH. The merchandise everywhere, themed snacks, Jack and Sally walking around… NOS is a completely different feel starting in September, at least for me.
I'm convinced that if they felt like they could get away with running HMH year-round, they would.

mlayton144

Because at the time, the film was one of the weaker box office releases of that Disney/Pixar era, did not have any cultural impact, and was not a merchandise driver. It would have actually been odd for them to even consider making PATF a permanent addition to any theme park, just like nobody would have suggested a Bolt or Chicken Little attraction/restaurant (which both performed better than PATF).

Animated releases of the era (in 2009 dollars):

2005 Chicken Little $341M
2007 Ratatouille $647
2008 Bolt $328M
2008 Wall E $531M
2009 Princess and the Frog $271M
2009 Up $731M
2010 Tangled $575M

I can only leave it up to your speculation why 14 years later this particular IP deserves a major E ticket attraction, restaurant, and a retail store in two different lands.

LOL - do we really need to speculate ?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney is wise not to step on the landmine of explaining why SotS shouldn't stay. That would invite people arguing directly at them and using anything they said against them in the court of public opinion.

All they've done is promote how great a PatF retheme would be by talking just about PatF.

Mickey's Pal

The mangling of the original NoS architecture, the transformation of the courtyard into a crowded, unpleasant merch location and the removal of the Art Gallery have hurt the area, in my opinion, far more than a New Orleans themed character restaurant will.

Seriously, with the all the garbage that’s happened to the DL experience in the last few decades, THIS is what pushed your buttons?
It did because forcing Princess and the Frog into a building never designed for it and putting tacky six flags smoke stacks on it is beyond cringy and disrespectful.

Last edited:

Mickey's Pal

You honestly equate buildings being intact, views, rides from the early years still being at the park, and singers/bands still being hired to sing/play as no change??? REALLY?? If we’re talking rides alone, your argument is invalid; Pirates today is not the same Pirates from 1966, and Mansion opened AFTER Walt passed. Even if it had opened in 1966, it’s now a Nightmare Before Christmas ride for three or four months of the year, and has been for 20+ years. What that movie has to do with New Orleans, I have no clue. But you’re complaining about a restaurant being converted to a theme based on a movie that actually takes places in New Orleans.

Based on these things alone, Walt Disney would not recognize NOS. Want me to keep going??
1. Pirates is in the same location and has many of the original animatronic Pirates. Rides can change over time but the ride still is great and still has a lot of charm.

2. He did work on Mansion before he died. Sure he didn't see the final version but there is a video of him showing Miss Disneyland Centennial them working on the ride including the stretching room.

3. I agree with you on HMH and it should go away and makes the whole land awful.

4. Yes I am complaining about it because it is only being done to try and compliment the crappy decision to change Splash Mountain not because every one has been dying for a Princess Tiana restraurant. The movie bombed. Let's call it what it is. Disney is only changing Splash to appear Passive Progressive and woke. So adding a restaurant with tacky smoke stacks on top ruins the natural beauty of the land and make no mistake, New Orleans Square is still gorgeous.

I wish you a good day.

Mickey's Pal

That ship sailed back in 2006 when they added Jack Sparrow to Pirates and made everything about the ride worse in favor of IP fanservice.

You're about sixteen years late, do try to keep up!
Many people including myself don't hate the inclusion of Jack Sparrow. Should the whole ride's story be centered around him? Hell no. But given how much of a hit the movies were Disney had to add those characters at some point. The rides minus the crappy new auction scene is still amazing and generates long lines still. If the ride was a horrible shell of its former self then people wouldn't ride it.

RobWDW1971

And if one is able to get past the ham-fisted shoving of this cartoon princess into New Orleans square and the embarrassing cartoon smokestacks mounted on its roof conflicting with the other rooflines and architecture, you are left with a throwaway execution of the actual restaurant in the film.

The restaurant in the film is meant to be a culinary palace with sit down dining and live music. What are we getting as a trade off to this embarrassing theming conflict? Bad theme park fast food, completely undermining the entire point of Tiana's journey to open a world-class restaurant.

If only there was a New Orleans cuisine restaurant from a respected New Orleans restauranteur playing live music every night already on property. If only....

PiratesMansion

Many people including myself don't hate the inclusion of Jack Sparrow. Should the whole ride's story be centered around him? Hell no. But given how much of a hit the movies were Disney had to add those characters at some point. The rides minus the crappy new auction scene is still amazing and generates long lines still. If the ride was a horrible shell of its former self then people wouldn't ride it.
Ok, so I take it that because things like Jack Sparrow in POTC and HMH don't bother you personally, you're handwaving evidence that directly contradicts your argument?

Got it.

Mickey's Pal

Ok, so I take it that because things like Jack Sparrow in POTC and HMH don't bother you personally, you're handwaving evidence that directly contradicts your argument?

Got it.
You make no sense. I have clearly stated HMH bothers me. And again- Pirates is still a ride that gets long queues. If sooo many people hated Jack Sparrow there wouldn't be long lines. People don't go on rides they don't like, ESPECIALLY Disney fans. Tons of women love seeing a Johnny Depp robot on Pirates and swoon over it. Hate to break it to you but your personal hang up does not mean everyone hates the changes made to the ride.

Californian Elitist

1. Pirates is in the same location and has many of the original animatronic Pirates. Rides can change over time but the ride still is great and still has a lot of charm.

2. He did work on Mansion before he died. Sure he didn't see the final version but there is a video of him showing Miss Disneyland Centennial them working on the ride including the stretching room.

3. I agree with you on HMH and it should go away and makes the whole land awful.

4. Yes I am complaining about it because it is only being done to try and compliment the crappy decision to change Splash Mountain not because every one has been dying for a Princess Tiana restraurant. The movie bombed. Let's call it what it is. Disney is only changing Splash to appear Passive Progressive and woke. So adding a restaurant with tacky smoke stacks on top ruins the natural beauty of the land and make no mistake, New Orleans Square is still gorgeous.

I wish you a good day.
1. The current Pirates is not the same Pirates Walt saw.

2. He may have been alive when the ride was in development, but he was still dead when it opened in 1969. He never saw it.

3. There we go. That’s the root. Still mad about Splash going away. That was all you had to say and should have said, because the stuff you said about IP and Walt Disney made no sense and were factually incorrect.

4. Ciao.🙋🏾‍♀️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom