Trip Report *COMPLETE* I always thought I’d be Simba… turns out I’m Zazu

We’re back! Well, we’ve been back since Saturday, but trying to settle back into normal life has taken some time. But, before the holidays fully kick off, I wanted to get started on the TR!

First an intro (I did did a PTR but plans changed quite a bit)-

1671074347358.jpeg

There’s C (8), me, my wife K, and L (3). This was C’s 4th trip, and L’s 2nd.

When: December 3 - 10
Where: AoA Lion King suite

We were also joined by my in-laws for the 3rd-8th.

This trip was different in a lot of ways. Our last trip was August 2020, with hardly any entertainment, extremely limited hours and dining, masks everywhere and of course no crowds. That was also L’s first trip. Yes, we took a one year old to WDW during a pandemic. Can’t wait for him to be a teenager and give us an eye roll for that one!

So in a lot of ways, this was L’s first real trip - with characters, waits, fireworks, and having his own thoughts/desires. Which was awesome. What wasn’t awesome was that he and his sister realized the fun in getting on each other’s nerves right before this trip. But, they also had some incredibly sweet moments between the two of them.

This was also our first trip with no Magical Express (which I hated even more than I expected), and with Genie +. But, we didn’t use Genie + because we also got DAS for the first time. I’ll put more detail on that in a separate post because it’s not all peachy and maybe could trigger some I suppose.

Anywho, so it was different. Bad? No, the opposite. I think that what hit us the most was realizing that as we return more to WDW and as our kids grow, the way we vacation changes a bit. We did a lot of new activities, and that was by far my favorite part of this trip.

Spash007

Original Poster
Glad you’re here!
I'm here and can't wait to hear about all of the fun!
Welcome!
I'm in to see what I can steal from you this time.

Kate Mckinnon Flirt GIF by Saturday Night Live
kate mckinnon snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I'm here!
Welcome!
Here too!
Glad you’re here!
I'm here too!!
Lockeandkey GIF by NETFLIX
The Daily Show Yes GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

I’m here! Can’t wait to read all about it 😊
Welcome! Can’t wait to share!

Spash007

Original Poster
So the DAS pass. I’m going to limit this post to that, so if you want to skip ahead, go for it. But, I know the Disney community was helpful for me, so I’m including this in case it helps anyone else.

I ended up getting it for my anxiety, something I can look back and say I always had, but which got a lot worse over COVID (not just COVID but certain things happening in life too). I never wanted to discuss any of it so I didn’t get help or a diagnosis, and it was actually through the Disney community and seeing others being open that I felt more comfortable. I’m not going to go into too many details, but it was amazing to me how much having it untreated affected my life and the side effects it was having. Getting treated has been one of the best decisions I’ve made.

All of that said, one of the most helpful tools I have is now recognizing when it starts setting in, and handling it accordingly. With that, I was nervous about WDW. Would it be worse than my trips in the past? Then it got me wondering, were any of the moments that I didn’t enjoy caused by or exacerbated by my anxiety? But I still wasn’t convinced to get the DAS. I felt like I was cheating the system. I can be ok without it I thought. I’m not THAT bad. The hardest part of mental health is that we only all know how we each feel, and have no concept whether that is “normal” or what.

But at the end of October we went to a wedding, and the cocktail hour was loud, dark and with one bar. Aka with a massive, unorganized line. I couldn’t do it. I had to step away, let K get the drinks, and while I felt better, I could tell I still wasn’t “me” the rest of the night.

That made me think the DAS would be worth it. At 30 days out I chatted with a CM and explained the above, who said that definitely does qualify, and signed me up.

I know there are a lot of haters that say people claiming anxiety are gaming the system, because we all get anxiety there. But when I was looking at people waiting in a line I realized something - they were mostly all relaxed. Had I been, I wouldn’t have been.

My point I guess in posting this is that if you are going through something, don’t be afraid to get help. You know yourself the best, and have to trust yourself. And if you are going through something, my virtual door is always open.

Spash007

Original Poster
Now onto the trip!

Day 1: December 3
Warning, this will be text heavy but is also drama heavy

This morning, we were taking the first flight from Newark at 7:09 am, so our car was picking us up at 4:30 am. The night before went well - we were almost completely packed, and we even got to bed slightly early.

Then, at 2:30 L came into our room saying he needed the potty.

Sesame Street Dancing GIF

And guess what? He didn’t need it.

So he went back to bed, and we went back to bed waiting for our 3:30 am alarm.

3:28 am - C comes in. She recently got an expander in her mouth and she says it was hurting. So Tylenol for her, and we ask her to go back and rest for a bit.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Well, we might as well stay up. But hey, at least we won’t sleep in!

You know who else didn’t? C, who went to the bathroom and brought a book.

And also L, who heard us and came out chipper as the day is long.

Ok, hopefully they’ll sleep on the plane, or at least we will get naps in the room later. But, we are running on time! Early even!

Good Morning Reaction GIF

We had coffee, breakfast, got packed and waited for our car.

Which, showed up right on time. Awesome!

We were wondering whether to bring a single stroller or a double. I did not want the double. I HATE the double. C is 8 after all. But, she gets tired real easily so maybe we should bring it. We left it up to the car service gods and if it would fit. And guess what? It did.

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

(In the end it was for the best).

We check in, get through security with no problems (TSA pre check is awesome), and head to the gate to breakfast. Options are extremely limited, but I’m just happy I had coffee already.

Boarding is at 6:25 am.

6:21 am the world was perfect.

6:22 am we get an announcement “There has been a delay. Please speak with a representative to check about switching flights.”

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Adventure

So the DAS pass. I’m going to limit this post to that, so if you want to skip ahead, go for it. But, I know the Disney community was helpful for me, so I’m including this in case it helps anyone else.

I ended up getting it for my anxiety, something I can look back and say I always had, but which got a lot worse over COVID (not just COVID but certain things happening in life too). I never wanted to discuss any of it so I didn’t get help or a diagnosis, and it was actually through the Disney community and seeing others being open that I felt more comfortable. I’m not going to go into too many details, but it was amazing to me how much having it untreated affected my life and the side effects it was having. Getting treated has been one of the best decisions I’ve made.

All of that said, one of the most helpful tools I have is now recognizing when it starts setting in, and handling it accordingly. With that, I was nervous about WDW. Would it be worse than my trips in the past? Then it got me wondering, were any of the moments that I didn’t enjoy caused by or exacerbated by my anxiety? But I still wasn’t convinced to get the DAS. I felt like I was cheating the system. I can be ok without it I thought. I’m not THAT bad. The hardest part of mental health is that we only all know how we each feel, and have no concept whether that is “normal” or what.

But at the end of October we went to a wedding, and the cocktail hour was loud, dark and with one bar. Aka with a massive, unorganized line. I couldn’t do it. I had to step away, let K get the drinks, and while I felt better, I could tell I still wasn’t “me” the rest of the night.

That made me think the DAS would be worth it. At 30 days out I chatted with a CM and explained the above, who said that definitely does qualify, and signed me up.

I know there are a lot of haters that say people claiming anxiety are gaming the system, because we all get anxiety there. But when I was looking at people waiting in a line I realized something - they were mostly all relaxed. Had I been, I wouldn’t have been.

My point I guess in posting this is that if you are going through something, don’t be afraid to get help. You know yourself the best, and have to trust yourself. And if you are going through something, my virtual door is always open.
You might want to rethink your Zazu comparison. I think you showed some brave Simba traits by sharing the way you are dealing with your anxiety! Thank you for sharing this!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom