Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

John park hopper

Just a question-- if Disney has the cash to make all these acquisitions, they certainly must have the cash to fund the parks better with staff, maintenance, and give the guests a reprieve from the never ending price increases.

FutureCEO

Definitely think Disney will eventually buy the sole rights to Dr Who. They have the TV rights now internationally from the UK and are investing heavily into the show.

Also the BBC aren’t exactly flush with cash and I can see them seeking to Disney then just retaining the UK TV rights

Disney will ruin Doctor Who if that happens :cry: Well, I haven't even bothered with the past couple seasons.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If I was Disney, I wouldn't be buying anything for the next 3-5 years. Ingest what you already have acquired over the last 20 years and ensure that D+ is profitable before acquiring anything else. And then only acquire things that will bolster what is already in-place, ie no other studios since there are already multiple under the TWDC umbrella.

Robbiem

Definitely think Disney will eventually buy the sole rights to Dr Who. They have the TV rights now internationally from the UK and are investing heavily into the show.

Also the BBC aren’t exactly flush with cash and I can see them seeking to Disney then just retaining the UK TV rights
I could definitely see some sort of Disney BBC deal where they get international rights to BBC shows maybe replacing BBC America. Lots of content for Disney plus

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Bob Iger may think about more acquisitions like Netflix or WBD. Or maybe even Sony now that SSM is leaving Netflix next month.

Disney is NOT buying anyone right now. Iger was NOT brought back to acquire another company.

Also if Disney was to buy anyone else it would trigger an investigation into Disney having a monopoly by the US Government, which is something Disney doesn't want. Iger is not going to tarnish his reputation or legacy for that.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So just to keep up with the latest round of "insiders" and "experts"...

Disney is going to buy Netflix, Sony, Paramount+, and Comcast's share of Hulu. Meanwhile they're going to sell Fox, ESPN, ABC, and their own share of Hulu (to Comcast). And then Bob is going to sell the wholeass company to Apple.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So just to keep up with the latest round of "insiders" and "experts"...

Disney is going to buy Netflix, Sony, Paramount+, and Comcast's share of Hulu. Meanwhile they're going to sell Fox, ESPN, ABC, and their own share of Hulu (to Comcast). And then Bob is going to sell the wholeass company to Apple.
I think the only thing right in that whole thing is Disney buying out the rest of Hulu from Comcast, as that is already setup for 2024.

Indy_UK

I think it’s Disney now going to go and ask to be bought out from Apple. That’s veritably one way to secure their future

brodie999

I think it’s Disney now going to go and ask to be bought out from Apple. That’s veritably one way to secure their future
But considering all of the buyout-selling reports are mostly unreliable and conflicting, it may not even be true. Apple is a phone company and even though Disney has worked with them in the past, I don't think such a merger would be possible at this point.

Indy_UK

I know most people don’t think will happen I believe Apple may potentially like the idea too. Pocket change for them as they’ll be the worlds biggest Tech company as well as entertainment company

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not likely. If Iger was ever going to do that it would have been back when Steve Jobs was still alive, as he wrote in his book. Today its a different landscape and while Apple is now also in the streaming space is more likely to acquire a smaller niche studio than Disney. So look for Apple to make a play for someone like Lionsgate or A24 (my bet for the indie type films Apple likes) rather than Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Iger confirmed in a town hall with CMs today that:

1. Disney is not being sold to Apple despite rumors.
2. Disney will not be acquiring any new companies any time soon.

sedati

Purchasing is one thing but I'd love to see more asset trading happening. Iger traded for Oswald after all. With so many struggling, it seems a good time for some friendly swapping to occur.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom