News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

Disstevefan1

There is no reason why WDW will not remain MOBBED as ever.
The folks with money will still have money and will still show up.
There is no inflation or recession for folks with money and there are plenty of them.

Patcheslee

Park reservations force people to spend their money sooner to get tickets, because if not, there is a risk they won't be able to get in. 2020 reminded Disney FOMO/panic buying is a public trait. Tickets don't get refunded, so Disney gets the money sooner.

Lilofan

Nothing will go away. If the recession is bad, a few ticket discounts and probably Genie+ included with resort stays.
Few other discounts are there at WDW. Years ago I picked up some nice Helly Hansen outerwear at Epcot Norway on a rack that was 30% off.

Lilofan

There's one school of thought that says Universal is missing the mark by not doing a targeted series of ads that call out all of the Guest Satisfaction issues at Disney (Genie+, Park Reservations, Parking trams, etc). The counter argument here is that if Universal calls it out, Disney may actually take notice and make changes. If I'm Universal, I want guests to leave Disney dissatisfied.

Years ago, Disney was the rising tide that raised all boats, now that's less of a factor.
UO calling out publicly WDW? Not going to happen. Both locations needs tourist dollars and play tit for tat is childs play.

Sir_Cliff

There is no reason why WDW will not remain MOBBED as ever.
The folks with money will still have money and will still show up.
There is no inflation or recession for folks with money and there are plenty of them.
What if the people with enough money find the cost is too high, the planning too onerous, and the quality too diminished? It's not like the only options are WDW or don't go on vacation.

Wendy Pleakley

Universal has referenced Disney for sure, but it's mostly harmless and tongue in cheek. I don't think they've ever "attacked" Disney.

It's easy to just do an ad that says something like "No fuss, no stress, no reservations" as a way to distinguish themselves in a non-aggressive way, should they choose.

Disney will never reference Universal because they're the big dog and it's smarter to act like you don't have competition. Better to act like they don't exist. As soon as the direct comparisons start, people will start asking "what is Disney afraid of? Let me check it out".

Vegas Disney Fan

However, I don't think they need to pack the park as full as possible -- there are diminishing returns there. If there are 45 minute lines to buy a pretzel, you're losing out on pretzel sales and that's not good for guest satisfaction or the company bottom line.

There's a middle ground where they can reduce attendance to a certain point and still maximize merch/F&B sales. They just can't reduce attendance by 50%, unless they can charge $1000 a day for a ticket to make up for the lost revenue in other places. But I don't think anyone believes that's realistic.

Exactly, 5-10 people in line is maximizing profit, 50 people in line is just making people miserable and decreasing the likelihood they return in the future, it’s also encouraging them to bring their own food and snacks on future trips to avoid waiting in a 30 minute line for a soda.

Too many guests is a good problem to have, I just think Disney’s “fixes” are horrible. Most companies would see 50 guests in line for a soda cart and add another soda cart, Disney just raises the price of the soda and ignores the fact it’s a million degrees out and people need liquid to survive the Florida heat.

Lilofan

Exactly, 5-10 people in line is maximizing profit, 50 people in line is just making people miserable and decreasing the likelihood they return in the future, it’s also encouraging them to bring their own food and snacks on future trips to avoid waiting in a 30 minute line for a soda.

Too many guests is a good problem to have, I just think Disney’s “fixes” are horrible. Most companies would see 50 guests in line for a soda cart and add another soda cart, Disney just raises the price of the soda and ignores the fact it’s a million degrees out and people need liquid to survive the Florida heat.
Save some dollars , order a cup of ice water then use lemonade packets bought at wal mart to have a cheap cold drink.

Vegas Disney Fan

Save some dollars , order a cup of ice water then use lemonade packets bought at wal mart to have a cheap cold drink.
Easier to just bring a bottled lemonade from Walmart and avoid the 30 minute line to get a free cup of ice water. 😉

I think this is the reason most families have someone (or multiple people) who look like pack mules at Disney and very few people have backpacks at my local park, it takes 5 minutes and $6 to grab a soda and snack at my local park, that same exact soda and snack takes 30 minutes and $11 at Disney.

FerretAfros

One thing I have noticed recently is that the idea that Disney is gouging consumers with price rises while lowering quality seems to have become more mainstream than it has been since the Save Disney days. This is partly related to political battles in which certain outlets are looking for any opportunity they can find to whack Disney and an era where a Reddit thread is treated as a credible basis for a news story. Still, I think it is notable that when Chapek is interviewed by the Wall Street Journal he is asked about rising discontent with how the parks are being run.

During the Iger years, there was plenty of grumbling online, but I don't think it was judged significant or interesting enough to constitute a news story. I do wonder how much these stories going mainstream is feeding a broader perception among even those who don't visit Disney parks that they aren't what they used to be and is damaging the brand in a way that won't be immediately apparent in terms of bookings or attendance figures.

It would be one thing of the parks were sparkling clean and attractions running in top condition as "Disney parks are expensive" isn't a particularly compelling story. When you can illustrate that with pictures of the mouldy exterior of Space Mountain or multiple examples of rides running with broken AAs, though, you do have a more interesting story of a greedy corporation bleeding consumers and cutting costs whatever precisely is going on. It's strange/arrogant to me that Disney seems a little indifferent to upkeep amidst all this bad publicity over price rises.
It's not necessarily that there weren't stories to be told about Disney having unfavorable characteristics during Iger's reign, it's also that those stories wouldn't have been allowed into public consumption from major publications.

While Chapek and Iger actually have fairly similar philosophies for running the company, one of the biggest differences is how the company controls its public image. Although Iger is certainly a more charismatic speaker who knows how to smooth out the rough edges, he had plenty his own of gaffes ("nondescript coaster") that weren't dissimilar to Chapek's standard speech patterns.

But more importantly, under Iger's control Disney made a concerted effort to keep a tighter leash on what was publicly said about the company. As Chief Communications Officer, Zenia Mucha (who rose to power during the end of Eisner's time) was notorious for keeping reporters on Disney's approved talking points for all aspects of the company, minimizing internal leaks, and making stories that didn't fit the pre-approved narrative ("oddly waifish man of anemic personality") disappear without a trace. It's why things like the Disney Parks Blog and D23 came into existence during that era: not to give the fans a place to congregate and discuss, but to give the company a direct mouthpiece to control the message about its past, present, and future.

While there may (or may not) have been a general public appetite under Iger's reign for stories about Disney's decreasing value to customers, it's unlikely those stories would have ever seen the light of day from a major publication. Even fan sites with relatively small readership routinely dropped from the media lists for events if their just-the-facts coverage wasn't positive enough.

Under Chapek, there appears to be a distinct departure from that approach, with little regard for the "feel good" messaging that the company was once known for. In addition to more bluntly business-focused messages from the top, communications from all levels of the company increasingly use terms that sound like they weren't written by real humans ("daytime activation," "cobochons," etc.). As part of this shift, there has also been a dramatic rise in critical stories from other major publications, which seems to indicate Chapek doesn't see the same value in tightly controlling the messaging about the company's public image.

Whether that's the best approach for an entertainment company who builds their brand on the emotional appeal of magic and nostalgia remains to be seen.

Patcheslee

Easier to just bring a bottled lemonade from Walmart and avoid the 30 minute line to get a free cup of ice water. 😉

I think this is the reason most families have someone (or multiple people) who look like pack mules at Disney and very few people have backpacks at my local park, it takes 5 minutes and $6 to grab a soda and snack at my local park, that same exact soda and snack takes 30 minutes and $11 at Disney.
Does your local park allow outside food or drinks though?

Animaniac93-98

What if the people with enough money find the cost is too high, the planning too onerous, and the quality too diminished? It's not like the only options are WDW or don't go on vacation.

I feel like people with real money are more likely to go to Disneyland for a day (hiring a VIP guide) because they're already in LA.

I don't think they'd spend a week at Port Orleans.

Lilofan

It's not necessarily that there weren't stories to be told about Disney having unfavorable characteristics during Iger's reign, it's also that those stories wouldn't have been allowed into public consumption from major publications.

While Chapek and Iger actually have fairly similar philosophies for running the company, one of the biggest differences is how the company controls its public image. Although Iger is certainly a more charismatic speaker who knows how to smooth out the rough edges, he had plenty his own of gaffes ("nondescript coaster") that weren't dissimilar to Chapek's standard speech patterns.

But more importantly, under Iger's control Disney made a concerted effort to keep a tighter leash on what was publicly said about the company. As Chief Communications Officer, Zenia Mucha (who rose to power during the end of Eisner's time) was notorious for keeping reporters on Disney's approved talking points for all aspects of the company, minimizing internal leaks, and making stories that didn't fit the pre-approved narrative ("oddly waifish man of anemic personality") disappear without a trace. It's why things like the Disney Parks Blog and D23 came into existence during that era: not to give the fans a place to congregate and discuss, but to give the company a direct mouthpiece to control the message about its past, present, and future.

While there may (or may not) have been a general public appetite under Iger's reign for stories about Disney's decreasing value to customers, it's unlikely those stories would have ever seen the light of day from a major publication. Even fan sites with relatively small readership routinely dropped from the media lists for events if their just-the-facts coverage wasn't positive enough.

Under Chapek, there appears to be a distinct departure from that approach, with little regard for the "feel good" messaging that the company was once known for. In addition to more bluntly business-focused messages from the top, communications from all levels of the company increasingly use terms that sound like they weren't written by real humans ("daytime activation," "cobochons," etc.). As part of this shift, there has also been a dramatic rise in critical stories from other major publications, which seems to indicate Chapek doesn't see the same value in tightly controlling the messaging about the company's public image.

Whether that's the best approach for an entertainment company who builds their brand on the emotional appeal of magic and nostalgia remains to be seen.
Zenia was a protector of secrets among other of her talents. She kept a good amount of dirty laundry inside to avoid the public knowing. She couldn’t do PR damage control on former ESPN chief John Skipper. Iger fired him after Skipper’s drug courier threatened to rat on Skipper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom