Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

GimpYancIent

I always sternly remind them I am not their friend; I am their guest as I abuse their hospitality and refill my resort mug from Backlot Express.
1665676545772.png

Lilofan

I always sternly remind them I am not their friend; I am their guest as I abuse their hospitality and refill my resort mug from Backlot Express.
Sadly the way some act it’s the slogan what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Substitute Vegas for another vacation destination.

Disone

Sounds creepy to me to be honest if a stranger that I never had interaction with called me a friend. Like a mass murderer was trying to lure you away into a dark park.
Yeah.... creepy.... Like being called a guest when you paid Good money to be there. Clearly you're a customer. 🤪

seriously, I don't think this is creepy at all. Is far better than folks, people, and everyone.

Should be taking the same context as " guest "

Yeah.... creepy.... Like being called a guest when you paid Good money to be there. Clearly you're a customer. 🤪

seriously, I don't think this is creepy at all. Is far better than folks, people, and everyone.

can we not at least be fair about it.

cast wasn't individually addressing us as "guest" in ordinary dialogue. Entering the the parks at tap in or transacting in a store it's not as if they were saying:
"Enjoy your day here at the Magic Kingdom, Guest"
"Hello, Guest"

the term "guest" would appropriately be heard when addressing the masses in something like: "Guests of all ages, welcome to........." or "We ask all guests to refrain from........" over speakers or microphones

or

when multiple registers are open at Starbucks: "I can help the next guest in line".

but to be individually greeted with "friend" is awkward, disingenuous and uncomfortable to hear because it is forced instead of natural.

Last edited:

Disone

can we not at least be fair about it.

cast wasn't individually addressing us as "guest" in ordinary dialogue. Entering the the parks at tap in or transacting in a store it's not as if they were saying:
"Hello, Guest"

the term "guest" would appropriately be heard when addressing the masses in something like: "Guests of all ages, welcome to........." or "We ask all guests to refrain from........" over speakers or microphones

or

when multiple registers are open at Starbucks: "I can help the next guest in line".

but to be individually greeted with "friend" is awkward, disingenuous and uncomfortable to hear because it is forced instead of natural.
Okay friend. Whatever you say;)

Goofyernmost

Absolutely agree and absolutely unnecessary in a friendly greeting. That is conveyed with attitude and tone. The word is useless without that. As a noun it is defined as "a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection" (Oxford). That makes it a word that is totally inappropriate as well as inaccurate when used in the context of a Theme park greeting. That's especially true when used in the manner that it appears the upper management of Disney think it should be used. Perhaps they should take some of that Mega-bonus they receive and enroll in basic grammar class.

Disone

Absolutely agree and absolutely unnecessary in a friendly greeting. That is conveyed with attitude and tone. The word is useless without that. As a noun it is defined as "a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection" (Oxford). That makes it a word that is totally inappropriate as well as inaccurate when used in the context of a Theme park greeting. That's especially true when used in the manner that it appears the upper management of Disney think it should be used. Perhaps they should take some of that Mega-bonus they receive and enroll in basic grammar class.
I get that it is slightly different because the word guest is not used in the greeting.... Having said that, I 100% assure you that if the internet was around when Disneyland opened in 1955, there would be those who would say the exact same thing about the use of the word guest. Maybe not you but I assure you someone would feel that the word guest is totally inappropriate as well as inaccurate to use in a theme park setting.

We accept it today because the internet was not around and it has become the culture of the Disney company to call a customer a guest. Many think it's part of Walt's brilliance.

I don't take an issue with this. This is not a big deal. If you're offended by it.... I feel as though you may be reading too much into it and being overly sensitive.

It IS all about tone and how the word is used. Context matters!!! Additionally, I'm pretty sure somewhere in my ventures, this is not the first time. Someone in a business setting has called me friend. It has never freaked me out.

I've also been called part of a family. That too would be inaccurate but in the context of the moment it was fine.

The exact same thing can be said about any other phrases, But most especially , " have a magical day."

With a very minor change of tone in that phrase can take on a very very different meaning than it's original intent. And that can be quite clear.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If you haven't figured it out its just another attempt at parasocial marketing engagement to engender a false sense of familiarity. I for one just expect civil courteous behavior from the employees, not to invite them over for dinner.

LittleBuford

"Hello, Guest"
But are they now necessarily saying “friend” in the examples you provided? I think it’s much likelier they’d just say a bare “Enjoy your day here at the Magic Kingdom.” As I understand it, “friend(s)” is meant to take the place of “sir”/“ma’am”/“ladies and gentlemen”, etc., in situations where vocative forms of address are required; no-one is compelled to use it when it would sound unnecessary or unidiomatic.

LittleBuford

That isn’t the only definition; see my earlier post:

For those interested, here are the OED's entries for this use of "friend", which goes back to the Middle Ages:

5. An acquaintance, an associate; a stranger whom one comes across or has occasion to mention again. Frequently used as a polite or (sometimes) ironic form of address. Cf. sense A. 2.
OE West Saxon Gospels: Matt. (Corpus Cambr.) xx. 13 Ða cwæð he andswarigende hyra anum, Eala þu freond [L. amice], ne do ic þe nænne teonan.
OE On Epacts (Calig. A.xv) in P. S. Baker & M. Lapidge Byrhtferth's Enchiridion (1995) 430 Nim, leofa freond, nigonteoða geares þæt þu do twelf to þam ehtatynum epacten.
c1275 Doomsday (Calig.) in C. Brown Eng. Lyrics 13th Cent. (1932) 45 (MED) Comeþ her, mine freond [c1250 Trin. Cambr. mine frents], oure sunnes forto lete.
c1300 St. Dunstan (Laud) l. 83 in C. Horstmann Early S.-Eng. Legendary (1887) 21 ‘Mine leue frend,’ seide þis holie Man.
c1384 Bible (Wycliffite, E.V.) (Douce 369(2)) (1850) Matt. xxvi. 50 Frend, wherto art thou comen?
a1400 (▸a1325) Cursor Mundi (Vesp.) l. 3229 ‘Frend,’ he said, ‘þou wend in hij vntil mesopotani.’
1488 (▸c1478) Hary Actis & Deidis Schir William Wallace (Adv.) (1968–9) ii. l. 89 Gud freynd, pray I the, The schirreffis serwand thow wald lat him be.
1508 J. Fisher Treat. Penyt. Psalmes sig. aa.ii Frendes this day I shall not declare to you ony parte of the epystle.
1523 Ld. Berners tr. J. Froissart Cronycles I. f. cclxiii Frende appease yourselfe, thou shalte be well payed or this day be ended; kepe the nere me.
a1625 F. Beaumont & J. Fletcher Coxcombe ii. iii, in Comedies & Trag. (1647) sig. Nn4v/1 Stand further friend, I doe not like your roperunners.
1677 P. A. in R. Cary Palæologia Chronica sig. hv Even so our studious Friend..is intent On Books and Reading.
1757 Bp. W. Warburton Lett. (1809) xcvi. 229 Pray ask our friend of St John's whether my..philosophy be right.
1767 J. O'Keeffe She Gallant ii. i. 23 So, friend, you're pimping for your master; well, I'll reward you a little for your trouble.
1830 Fraser's Mag. 1 209 Our friend the Intoxicator is an Irishman.
1884 Sheffield & Rotherham Chron. 20 May 8/2 I should like to exchange a word with my friend ‘Spectator in Hallamshire’ who, I regret to say, is not as reliable in fact and argument as he is pleasant in wit or humour.
1901 R. Kipling Kim xii. You mustn't bang about as though Delhi station belonged to you, my friend.
1916 R. Kay Go ahead Boys & Mysterious Old House 79 The third is our mysterious friend, the tramp, that I saw in the old Meeker House.
1956 M. Dickens Angel in Corner x. 181 Jin, this is Ed Morris, a business friend of mine.
1965 N. Mailer Amer. Dream i. 15 ‘Ain't you got any consideration?’ he asked. ‘Up your , friend.’
2000 Light Feb. 11/1 If our friend the QS [sc. quantity surveyor] were more knowledgeable about lighting, then he or she would..study in more depth the alternatives being put forward.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How about just dropping "friend"?

May I help you?
Have a magical day!
Good morning!
See you real soon!
And if you need to get their attention?

"Hello, head over behind the yellow line."​
"Hello, head over behind the yellow line."​
"HELLO, head over behind the yellow line."​
"HELLO!! HELLO!! OVER HERE. PLEASE HEAD OVER BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE!"​
"What, you talking to us?"
Social phrases like: "sir, ma'am, friend, pal, chief, guys, son, mister, miss, etc..." are used to establish a social link to give a direction, or ask a question. Seems odd to just start suddenly talk to someone not paying full attention to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom