Letchworth State Park

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
First of all, my Canadian friends, I'm truly sorry about the exchange rate. My American Dollar is not winning me friends in any of the countries in which I have people...

@Monty I totally just sucked you into this thread because you're brilliant...and Canadian.

@JenniferS I'm sorry to say that it took me a LONG time to figure out that NF meant Niagara Falls and not Newfoundland. I think I might be half Canadian, you know that my dad actually emigrated from Ireland to England to Canada!! I could have been Canadian!!!

Anyway, if you've ever seen Peggy's Cove, it looks exactly like The Burren in County Clare, Ireland, pretty much straight across the Atlantic Ocean.

@SteveBrickNJ I'm sorry that I kind of hijacked your thread...:banghead:
I thought my thread was basically done as of yesterday....but it has turned into the Bob Saget thread spinoff. 😂
That's ok .
Enjoy. :cool:

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
First of all, my Canadian friends, I'm truly sorry about the exchange rate. My American Dollar is not winning me friends in any of the countries in which I have people...

@Monty I totally just sucked you into this thread because you're brilliant...and Canadian.

@JenniferS I'm sorry to say that it took me a LONG time to figure out that NF meant Niagara Falls and not Newfoundland. I think I might be half Canadian, you know that my dad actually emigrated from Ireland to England to Canada!! I could have been Canadian!!!

Anyway, if you've ever seen Peggy's Cove, it looks exactly like The Burren in County Clare, Ireland, pretty much straight across the Atlantic Ocean.

@SteveBrickNJ I'm sorry that I kind of hijacked your thread...:banghead:
I’m old. Newfoundland is still Nfld to me.
I’ve never been to Peggy’s Cove, but Mike used to go every year as a kid.

That’s an RV trip for the future, for sure.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Americans need a passport to enter Canada. Canadians need a passport to enter the US.

You don’t need to enter the opposite country to view NF. Both sides offer different and unique views of each set.

Not sure about kids - mine have had them since the age of 7.
This is of course correct. @dryerlintfan
Niagara falls from the NY State side has the Maid of the Mist Boat that will take you really close.
It also has "Cave of the Winds".
You could take your child "A" there without any documentation. I think it is worth considering.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This is of course correct. @dryerlintfan
Niagara falls from the NY State side has the Maid of the Mist Boat that will take you really close.
It also has "Cave of the Winds".
You could take your child "A" there without any documentation. I think it is worth considering.

No 😂😂 I’ve been to Niagara and it’s not worth the trip without going to the Canadian side. All the real beauty can be seen from over there.

Lilofan

Americans need a passport to enter Canada. Canadians need a passport to enter the US.

You don’t need to enter the opposite country to view NF. Both sides offer different and unique views of each set.

Not sure about kids - mine have had them since the age of 7.
I've been told if you are traveling in a youth group to Canada from US, you just need a birth certificate, no passport. We are fortunate with friendly relations with Canada we don't need a visa to visit Canada. Canada requires visitors from more than 100 other countries to apply for a visa to enter Canada .

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I've been told if you are traveling in a youth group to Canada from US, you just need a birth certificate, no passport. We are fortunate with friendly relations with Canada we don't need a visa to visit Canada. Canada requires visitors from more than 100 other countries to apply for a visa to enter Canada .
Well that’s good then. According to a cursory Google search, 70% of Canadians hold a passport (I knew that) vs 37% of Americans.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Also I can’t remember for sure but I think you can only really see the ships from that side too
What ships? I honestly don't know about ships as a tourist attraction there. Anyway, you can go to the Canadian side AND once your days there are complete and you cross back to America you can see " Cave of the Winds" . We stayed on the Canadian side and then spent time on the American side on our head toward home day. 😉

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
What ships? I honestly don't know about ships as a tourist attraction there. Anyway, you can go to the Canadian side AND once your days there are complete and you cross back to America you can see " Cave of the Winds" . We stayed on the Canadian side and then spent time on the American side on our head toward home day. 😉

F85E2E9D-6025-4DC8-9EF4-0C053A381B61.png

Looks like it’s uncertain how much longer it will remain something to see but it was cool to see it

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

View attachment 672548

Looks like it’s uncertain how much longer it will remain something to see but it was cool to see it
It’s not long for this world. I mentioned in a post a couple of years ago how sad I will be once it’s gone. It’s a fixture of the river and a fixture of my childhood - my dad never failed to tell us the story of how it came to lodge there.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
USA has the lowest rate of international travel 10% of population of any developed nation.
I AM CONSTANTLY FRUSTRATED BY THAT.
Disney keeps getting more and more expensive.
Their recent price increases are mentioned here...
You can go to England or Scotland or Ireland for 7 days and not pay any more than if you went to Disney for 7 days.
In fact, maybe it would be slightly cheaper to see any of those 3 countries.
Yet my best friend and his wife have gone to Disney every other year for 35 years.
There is an entire planet they have never seen....yet every 24 months they just pay whatever Disney asks them to.
Many are like that. They stay in their county and travel to their neighboring towns for 24 months.....life at home....go to work...go out to eat in their local community....save money regularly for Disney....go to Disney....spend the next 2 years doing that all over again.....then the next 2 years all over again....eventually you are old and you look back on your life and what did you see on this earth: 1) Your local county 2) Disney.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I AM CONSTANTLY FRUSTRATED BY THAT.
Disney keeps getting more and more expensive.
Their recent price increases are mentioned here...
You can go to England or Scotland or Ireland for 7 days and not pay any more than if you went to Disney for 7 days.
In fact, maybe it would be slightly cheaper to see any of those 3 countries.
Yet my best friend and his wife have gone to Disney every other year for 35 years.
There is an entire planet they have never seen....yet every 24 months they just pay whatever Disney asks them to.
Many are like that.
I like vacationing at Disney but there are many more options out there if one chooses to learn, look and visit. It may change others mindset. I’ve also been to third world areas where the locals are more kind and welcoming , locations so amazing along with food and drink, experiences etc but I literally kissed the ground coming back to USA for modern convieniences I took for granted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom