renting dvc points

pdude81

I've been duped out of a small deposit when attempting to rent before. The person used a real name I crossed the given against the Orange County website as having a DVC contract, an email using the same name, and I was given references. I'm pretty in top of this stuff and it was elaborate enough of a con that I did report it to the FBI. The only thing I could have done differently was use paypal merchants. Although I'd rather receive through friends and family if renting out I'd still recommend merchants if you're really unusure.
Sorry to hear that. It's rough out there and I would be really hesitant to rent from anybody I don't have regular contact through one of these forums or through an agency. That's just not for me. I also don't rent much as it's not really worth all the work when you have people dumping their points on the market at $15 per rather than sell off the thing they can't afford anymore.

correcaminos

Because it could just be a scammer trying to use my account to rip off someone else. Or someone hunting for a cheaper rental elsewhere and using me as a backup. Putting down a deposit means they have some skin in the game. I don't ask for final payment until much closer to the reservation.
Not sure I follow this at all. Scammers do it in other ways. For using you as a back up, you give them x days or you release the points. The ones paying for the reservation have far more to lose than those booking the room (unless you'd lose the points).

I've been duped out of a small deposit when attempting to rent before. The person used a real name I crossed the given against the Orange County website as having a DVC contract, an email using the same name, and I was given references. I'm pretty in top of this stuff and it was elaborate enough of a con that I did report it to the FBI. The only thing I could have done differently was use paypal merchants. Although I'd rather receive through friends and family if renting out I'd still recommend merchants if you're really unusure.
Unfortunately Paypal doesn't cover things like this. It's in part of why some prefer paying more and using companies like David's who normally backs up the transaction.

I'm not challenging you because I believe but it makes me question why people want to use merchant protection if it means nothing.
No idea honestly. Probably because they don't know better. Paypal is good for actual merchandise for sure. For this? Honestly there are no good answers but this gives a lot of pros and cons of each

pdude81

Not sure I follow this at all. Scammers do it in other ways. For using you as a back up, you give them x days or you release the points. The ones paying for the reservation have far more to lose than those booking the room (unless you'd lose the points).

Scammers can take my reservation number and present it to another party as proof of their reservation, thus wasting my time and ripping off someone else. It is one of the many cons out there. I will reserve for someone who seems serious but I won't give the actual number until deposit time.

I agree that they have much risk than I do, but this is the tradeoff people choose when trying to save money on deluxe rooms. I don't need to work for someone else for free.

correcaminos

Scammers can take my reservation number and present it to another party as proof of their reservation, thus wasting my time and ripping off someone else. It is one of the many cons out there. I will reserve for someone who seems serious but I won't give the actual number until deposit time.

I agree that they have much risk than I do, but this is the tradeoff people choose when trying to save money on deluxe rooms. I don't need to work for someone else for free.
Other than wasted time, they cannot really go far with scamming using this method (people want the reservation in their name, not another otherwise it may not be valid since one cannot link to it). Honestly, if I were renting I'd move on from a private renter assuming YOU were the scammer and run very quickly. Only ones I'd give money upfront would be to a rental company that would give the fee back if a reservation cannot be secured. Again this is why more use companies that back reservations. I mean it's on you to rent how you like, but that's not even a worry for those renting out IMO.

pdude81

Other than wasted time, they cannot really go far with scamming using this method (people want the reservation in their name, not another otherwise it may not be valid since one cannot link to it). Honestly, if I were renting I'd move on from a private renter assuming YOU were the scammer and run very quickly. Only ones I'd give money upfront would be to a rental company that would give the fee back if a reservation cannot be secured. Again this is why more use companies that back reservations. I mean it's on you to rent how you like, but that's not even a worry for those renting out IMO.
I don't need to go into the step by step on how this con is done, but it has been done. No real harm to the owner other than time wasted, unless the person is assuming your identity (unlikely and unnecessary). Also David's requires a deposit even to start a search for you, and only gives it back if they can't get the reservation you want. This makes sense as they have to set up a deal with another party and pay employees to do the contract work. And please, go search out better terms elsewhere. I need all the points I can get these days.

nickys

Premium Member
Sorry to hear that. It's rough out there and I would be really hesitant to rent from anybody I don't have regular contact through one of these forums or through an agency. That's just not for me. I also don't rent much as it's not really worth all the work when you have people dumping their points on the market at $15 per rather than sell off the thing they can't afford anymore.
When I rent out points I’ve not asked more than $15. The points I rent out are ones we can’t use (Covid or just too long between trips) so I just want to get something for them.

I rent to people who know me on Touring Plans and reckon why should I sting them for more than I could get from a broker? They get a deal, I get double what my dues are. Both of us are happy.

I’ll have more to rent out from next year thanks to the borrowing restriction which was lifted too late for us to add more nights. Might ask an extra $ or two per point thanks to the tanking exchange rate.

As for being able to afford it. No, we can’t afford to come every year or even every other year. Doesn’t mean DVC doesn’t serve us well. After this coming trip we’ll have broken even. I don’t see my price as “dumping points”.

correcaminos

I don't need to go into the step by step on how this con is done, but it has been done. No real harm to the owner other than time wasted, unless the person is assuming your identity (unlikely and unnecessary). Also David's requires a deposit even to start a search for you, and only gives it back if they can't get the reservation you want. This makes sense as they have to set up a deal with another party and pay employees to do the contract work. And please, go search out better terms elsewhere. I need all the points I can get these days.
That's a bit condescending to think I don't know how the scam is done. A smart renter though will want the reservation in their name, not anyone else though. So no harm in renting without giving them a reservation number in their name. Really none on your end at all. Then again I wouldn't be renting at all without a contract signed as well. Which gets rid of some scammers.

David's give's the money back if the reservation cannot be secured which is what I stated. It's not the same thing as renting privately. I rarely rent, but when I do, no deposit required until they get a reservation number in their name. That's of course after we have a signed contract.

You do you, but realize I would never rent from someone who didn't give me a reservation number in my own name without a deposit. Red flag 101 right there for renters. That's all I'm saying.

pdude81

That's a bit condescending to think I don't know how the scam is done. A smart renter though will want the reservation in their name, not anyone else though. So no harm in renting without giving them a reservation number in their name. Really none on your end at all. Then again I wouldn't be renting at all without a contract signed as well. Which gets rid of some scammers.

David's give's the money back if the reservation cannot be secured which is what I stated. It's not the same thing as renting privately. I rarely rent, but when I do, no deposit required until they get a reservation number in their name. That's of course after we have a signed contract.

You do you, but realize I would never rent from someone who didn't give me a reservation number in my own name without a deposit. Red flag 101 right there for renters. That's all I'm saying.
I'm saying that I don't want to put the information here for potential scammers to pick up on, not that you can't understand the scam. I think it's condescending to tell other people how they should rent their points and why their concerns aren't valid, though I'm guilty of that as well for complaining about people offering cheap point dumps on facebook that undercut the value of these contracts. And I have no concern or objection if someone is leery of giving money without something tangible.

Now if this was a forum friend or family member I have no problem just setting things up and asking for money later on. My main point here was to tell the prior poster that I don't think it's crazy to ask for a small deposit before the reservation number is given. I think we've gone over both sides of this discussion pretty thoroughly at this point.

correcaminos

I'm saying that I don't want to put the information here for potential scammers to pick up on, not that you can't understand the scam. I think it's condescending to tell other people how they should rent their points and why their concerns aren't valid, though I'm guilty of that as well for complaining about people offering cheap point dumps on facebook that undercut the value of these contracts. And I have no concern or objection if someone is leery of giving money without something tangible.

Now if this was a forum friend or family member I have no problem just setting things up and asking for money later on. My main point here was to tell the prior poster that I don't think it's crazy to ask for a small deposit before the reservation number is given. I think we've gone over both sides of this discussion pretty thoroughly at this point.
As I said you do you. Just saying that many who are renters want the reservation in their name before a deposit. That part to me is more important as a renter. Never said I didn't understand reasoning. Just one will drive people paying away and only stated this since you said you don't rent often. While I may not I do bring a lot of people to friends to rent so I get both sides often. Get a contract is key. End of story. I'm honestly not a fan of arguing just to argue. Enjoy your day.

Hcalvert

I'm not challenging you because I believe but it makes me question why people want to use merchant protection if it means nothing.
1665443604315.png

I've been told that vacation rentals are under "real estate." A person may have some protection with their credit card if that is what they have connected to PayPal. I believe there is a 5% fee for using a credit card on PayPal as your payment source.

Weather_Lady

We've had very positive experiences renting. We just booked our fourth DVC rental with David's Vacation rentals. (Past ones: a week at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge in a 2-bedroom villa, 3 nights in a Beach Club studio, and 2 nights in a Polynesian villa: upcoming, 3 nights in a Grand Floridian resort studio villa). On one occasion, we also rented through a MouseOwners member who was thoroughly-vetted and had excellent references and a solid written contract (although changes to that board have made such rentals a little more difficult to arrange), for a one-week stay at a studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House. We've also put in requests with the DVC Rental Store, and although they didn't have a member with the points we needed, we were favorably impressed with their customer service and wouldn't hesitate to use them in the future.

DVC rentals have literally made stays at deluxe resorts a financial possibility for my family, by giving us rates anywhere from 35%-50% less than rack rate. I'm a big fan!

As others mentioned, one downside is that you can't usually modify or cancel once the reservation is made (at least, not if you reserve through the reputable go-between companies: when we privately contracted with an owner, she did have a provision in her contract that allowed for a one-time rescheduling in the event someone got sick or our travel plans were interrupted). This also means that if Disney releases a special offer for your dates (e.g., dining promotion, room discount), you will not be able to take advantage of it. If you're afraid you might have to cancel your plans for any reason, you'll either have to accept the risk, or find a travel insurance that will cover you if needed. Another way to potentially insulate yourself from travel delays or short-term illness is to structure your trip as a split stay, with the first half being an arrangement you can cancel on short notice without penalty, and the second half being a DVC rental.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

When I rent out points I’ve not asked more than $15. The points I rent out are ones we can’t use (Covid or just too long between trips) so I just want to get something for them.

I rent to people who know me on Touring Plans and reckon why should I sting them for more than I could get from a broker? They get a deal, I get double what my dues are. Both of us are happy.

I’ll have more to rent out from next year thanks to the borrowing restriction which was lifted too late for us to add more nights. Might ask an extra $ or two per point thanks to the tanking exchange rate.

As for being able to afford it. No, we can’t afford to come every year or even every other year. Doesn’t mean DVC doesn’t serve us well. After this coming trip we’ll have broken even. I don’t see my price as “dumping points”.
Yeah, I'm renting for a cousin for the first time, and my goal was to give them a good deal on a studio and have some of those dues covered!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom