renting dvc points

buckeyegator

Original Poster
how does a non-dvc member rent points, how much per point, is it different for each resort?any idea of the costs at the various resorts?

Last edited:

Rinx

I would like to know because I once tried to rent my points out and was told that it's illegal and against the terms of contract. I was like "huh?!?" People do it all the time and I want to know how! :cautious:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
There's a DVC forum here at WDWMagic and this post may end up redirected there anyway.

The short of it is that every DVC room has a numerical point value attached to it that is the cost of the room for that one night. Costs change by season and day of the week (Friday Saturday costs more). You can see the point charts here: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/points-charts

Each point is rented for cash by a DVC owner. For example, if wanting an OKW studio on a Sunday in late February and owner charges $20/point, it's 15 points * $20/point = $300.

No matter where the owner is found the owner takes the renter's name and info and books a reservation and it gives the owner a reservation number that is shared with the renter who uses the number to link the reservation to their Disney account.

Owners are usually found through brokers (search "dvc rental" and there are many). The broker works between parties and charges more than what the owner paid (too much, imo, but not on topic). Owners are also found on Facebook groups dedicated to renting, disboards dvc group, and a few other dedicated websites. Some like the security of using brokers and some don't like the broker markups that make it cost more but not to benefit of owner.

Cost per point may vary by resort and when booked. Some charge more for reservations +7 months from check-in, and remember some resorts will not be easily available closer to travel dates, sometimes more than 7 months from travel. It's difficult to rent last minute and sometimes even within a few months.

That's the short of it. Feel free to ask if any questions.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I would like to know because I once tried to rent my points out and was told that it's illegal and against the terms of contract. I was like "huh?!?" People do it all the time and I want to know how! :cautious:
If you asked Disney, yeah. They don't want people to make a business buying and renting points. I don't think Disney had any problem with occasional rentals , and it's difficult for them to really know unless it becomes a habit (like many repeated rentals in names of others). So if not abusing it then they're not going to ask questions.

Facebook groups and brokers (search Google for rent dvc) are most common ways to rent out. Some use disboards dvc rent trade board. There are some other websites connecting owners to potential renters.

buckeyegator

Original Poster
can disney act as a middleman in points selling? say i have points i want to sell, i tell disney how many i have to sell, then disney advertises how many points for each resort are available, and a 3rd party purchases them.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
can disney act as a middleman in points selling? say i have points i want to sell, i tell disney how many i have to sell, then disney advertises how many points for each resort are available, and a 3rd party purchases them.
No, Disney does not do that. There are third party business that do that exact thing though. I believe David's DVC request still sponsors here. DVC rental store, the Timeshare store, DVC Shop, and dvc-rental are some others.

heapster411

I also went thru David's DVC. Painless! Obtained BLT 1BR Lake View in Dec. 5-10, Right around $3400.00. Pretty close to 40% off.

EOD K9

I have rented out my points through David’s and also through here. The points I have rented direct to posters have been well established.

arich35

I have now rented points 3 times (DEC will be number 3) and have found them all through Facebook groups. You just have to do your due diligence and make sure the person actually has a DVC, make sure there is a contract signed by both parties and you receive the reservation number before giving money. Becoming friends on Facebook, getting personal emails (privately) also can ease the mind a bit that you are dealing with good people. But there is a risk that you can be taken for and they cancel your reservation but actual sites like David's or DVC Rental that won't happen, usually everything is protected and you will get money back if something happens

nickys

Premium Member
The two main things to remember about renting points are:

1. The owner is in charge of the reservation until you actually arrive and check in. ( I have seen that sometimes quoted as “until you check in” but doing on-line check in doesn’t give you control).

No matter how you rent, the reservation could be cancelled. Either by the owner or by DVC. A broker will try to make that right, or refund if they can’t, but it can still happen.

Also Disney / DVC will not talk to you about the reservation. The owner must make any changes, which brings me to the next point …..

2. Usually you cannot make changes with a rental. That means cancellation, modifying the resort, dates etc. An owner or broker may work with you but they are not obliged to beyond what is stipulated in the contract. I think one broker allows cancellations.

*** Get travel insurance! ***

pdude81

I have now rented points 3 times (DEC will be number 3) and have found them all through Facebook groups. You just have to do your due diligence and make sure the person actually has a DVC, make sure there is a contract signed by both parties and you receive the reservation number before giving money. Becoming friends on Facebook, getting personal emails (privately) also can ease the mind a bit that you are dealing with good people. But there is a risk that you can be taken for and they cancel your reservation but actual sites like David's or DVC Rental that won't happen, usually everything is protected and you will get money back if something happens
I personally wouldn't give the reservation number until there is at least a deposit unless renting to a personal friend (which I'd also never do, haha).

arich35

I personally wouldn't give the reservation number until there is at least a deposit unless renting to a personal friend (which I'd also never do, haha).
Why? The owner has all the control. If you give the reservation number and the renter doesn't give you the deposit then you get to cancel it or take their names off the reservation

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I've been duped out of a small deposit when attempting to rent before. The person used a real name I crossed the given against the Orange County website as having a DVC contract, an email using the same name, and I was given references. I'm pretty in top of this stuff and it was elaborate enough of a con that I did report it to the FBI. The only thing I could have done differently was use paypal merchants. Although I'd rather receive through friends and family if renting out I'd still recommend merchants if you're really unusure.

Hcalvert

I've been duped out of a small deposit when attempting to rent before. The person used a real name I crossed the given against the Orange County website as having a DVC contract, an email using the same name, and I was given references. I'm pretty in top of this stuff and it was elaborate enough of a con that I did report it to the FBI. The only thing I could have done differently was use paypal merchants. Although I'd rather receive through friends and family if renting out I'd still recommend merchants if you're really unusure.
Paypal doesn't cover rentals.

pdude81

Why? The owner has all the control. If you give the reservation number and the renter doesn't give you the deposit then you get to cancel it or take their names off the reservation
Because it could just be a scammer trying to use my account to rip off someone else. Or someone hunting for a cheaper rental elsewhere and using me as a backup. Putting down a deposit means they have some skin in the game. I don't ask for final payment until much closer to the reservation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom