Good Luck with Reservations

StarshipDisney

Wow! I was up at 0500 this morning ready to make ADRs for our December trip to Disney. I was at it the moment the reservations opened up for days 61 through 65 of our "60 + 10" day window. So, I was guaranteed to be ahead of anyone staying off-site who can only do 60-days. Again, only days starting after the day after we arrive were checked (days 61-65).

I could not believe the UNAVALABILITY:

'Ohana: Nothing available for days 61-65 lunch or dinner.
Space 220 Cafe: Nothing available for days 61-65 lunch or dinner including the lounge.
50's Prime Time Cafe: Nothing available except an 8:25 PM dinner on day 62. Time is unacceptable so nothing.
Tusker House: Nothing available for days 61-65 lunch or dinner.
Steakhouse 71: Nothing available for days 61-65. Changed the party to 3 and got a table on day 61. But will show up with 2. Hopefully they don't turn us away.

Tried changing the party to 3 on all others...no change.

I was able to get us a place to eat in each park, but not what we wanted. Had to settle for the likes of Chefs De France and Rainforest Cafe. I guess one positive was that I got the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at MK and the Caring for Giants Tour at AK.

Let this be a lesson to those staying off site that you are basically screwed regarding ADRs. Even staying on-site does not guarantee you any premium places to try.

Overall, this morning was not a positive experience. I really wanted Space 220 but nothing doing. I'll check continuously until the trip but do not have high hopes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m a little bit surprised it’s this difficult? I haven’t had that much trouble in recent trips.

I did find a lot of next day reservations available this past June.

Including 220…it just unfortunately is a one and done.

Don’t assume you won’t be able to find things when you’re there. I literally saw options everywhere.

It’s discouraging now…but might work out. Don’t count on the character meals…they still are the most overpriced/rate things there in many cases…except le cellier and ohana

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing says Disney vacation like waking up at 5 am to get dining reservations 60 days out. This is absurd. And why planning a Disney vacation is no fun. Planning used to be one of my favorite parts of the trip but its become so laborious these days.
It’s sucked since priority seating went…honestly. The Dining plan did no favors either.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

That excuse is getting a tad old, isn’t it?
Yeah I'm sick of it too. That doesn't mean it's untrue.

If we were talking about just housekeeping, it might be worth considering that they're dragging their feet with hiring on purpose to save money. But we're not just talking about housekeeping, we're talking about TS F&B, one of their highest-margin revenue streams. The slow pace of hiring isn't saving them money, it's costing them money.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I'm sick of it too. That doesn't mean it's untrue.

If we were talking about just housekeeping, it might be worth considering that they're dragging their feet with hiring on purpose to save money. But we're not just talking about housekeeping, we're talking about TS F&B, one of their highest-margin revenue streams. The slow pace of hiring isn't saving them money, it's costing them money.
The point is…it’s on DISNEY now. 101%

There is labor in Florida…there always is…it’s on them to pay it as they continually crank the screws on us.

Did you hear about the “discounted” $129 + rates for “after hours” in the dead of January when they close the park at 7?…if you’re lucky🙄

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

Wow! I was up at 0500 this morning ready to make ADRs for our December trip to Disney. I was at it the moment the reservations opened up for days 61 through 65 of our "60 + 10" day window. So, I was guaranteed to be ahead of anyone staying off-site who can only do 60-days. Again, only days starting after the day after we arrive were checked (days 61-65).

I could not believe the UNAVALABILITY:

'Ohana: Nothing available for days 61-65 lunch or dinner.
Space 220 Cafe: Nothing available for days 61-65 lunch or dinner including the lounge.
50's Prime Time Cafe: Nothing available except an 8:25 PM dinner on day 62. Time is unacceptable so nothing.
Tusker House: Nothing available for days 61-65 lunch or dinner.
Steakhouse 71: Nothing available for days 61-65. Changed the party to 3 and got a table on day 61. But will show up with 2. Hopefully they don't turn us away.

Tried changing the party to 3 on all others...no change.

I was able to get us a place to eat in each park, but not what we wanted. Had to settle for the likes of Chefs De France and Rainforest Cafe. I guess one positive was that I got the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at MK and the Caring for Giants Tour at AK.

Let this be a lesson to those staying off site that you are basically screwed regarding ADRs. Even staying on-site does not guarantee you any premium places to try.

Overall, this morning was not a positive experience. I really wanted Space 220 but nothing doing. I'll check continuously until the trip but do not have high hopes.
Unpresented demand (due to ongoing revenge travel) combined with unpresented shortage of cast members.

It was a challenge to get ADRs in pre pandemic times.

You have no choice but to keep trying.

Should it be this way? No, but this is how it's always been but now it's worse.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can they? Honestly, I don't know the answer. I feel like I've read something about union contracts preventing them from raising the starting wage for new hires without renegotiating the entire CBA.
Sure…you raise rates to lure from the other entertainment/leisure operators…which is about 80% of the Orlando labor market

Need cooks/waiter/? Raid I Drive.

The reality is they are trying to make more money off inferior product if the service falls.

Gotta say “no”…like Nancy Reagan taught us

Need more, pay more.

Is this where all the “free market” peeps cry for the poor conglomerate?
…that dog ain’t hunting

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unpresented demand (due to ongoing revenge travel) combined with unpresented shortage of cast members.

It was a challenge to get ADRs in pre pandemic times.

You have no choice but to keep trying.

Should it be this way? No, but this is how it's always been but now it's worse.
Inflation has more or less killed “revenge travel” at this point…according to metrics.

It’s over, Johnny.

Disney has started to tip that hand too…the resumption of
Room discounts has started…dvc is pumping mailers again…the other signs hasn’t happened, but don’t be shocked if they pop

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

Inflation has more or less killed “revenge travel” at this point…according to metrics.

It’s over, Johnny.

Disney has started to tip that hand too…the resumption of
Room discounts has started…dvc is pumping mailers again…the other signs hasn’t happened, but don’t be shocked if they pop
Inflation does not exist (in this dojo ;)) for the folks with money.
But OK then, I will say, "unpresented demand combined with unpresented shortage of cast members"

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

I feel like we’ve been over this before…

But Disney parks are not a rich enclave. They need the average folks too…by design and operational necessity.

Don’t believe the hype
Totally agree, Disney parks are not a "rich" enclave.

The definitively "rich" do not bother with WDW.

All I am saying is there are plenty of folks with money who are not bothered by recession or inflation and will show up and that is why there is "unpresented demand" as Bobby says.

I personally do believe there are plenty of families who have not vacationed at WDW since before the pandemic, like families from Denver, who really want to go to WDW now. My definition of revenge travel.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Totally agree, Disney parks are not a "rich" enclave.

The definitively "rich" do not bother with WDW.

All I am saying is there are plenty of folks with money who are not bothered by recession or inflation and will show up and that is why there is "unpresented demand" as Bobby says.

I personally do believe there are plenty of families who have not vacationed at WDW since before the pandemic, like families from Denver, who really want to go to WDW now. My definition of revenge travel.
So…ok…just gonna keep punching on this one?

I won’t argue…but consider that a slice of the demographics that would not blink to pay the price without aggressive savings strategies in 2019 are now - naturally - drawing back now. Wdw would be an almost instinctual way to shave. They’re pushing it…economically there would be a pushback. Timing is never known - however.

Not everyone in the parks stay at yacht club…a reminder.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

So…ok…just gonna keep punching on this one?

I won’t argue…but consider that a slice of the demographics that would not blink to pay the price without aggressive savings strategies in 2019 are now - naturally - drawing back now. Wdw would be an almost instinctual way to shave. They’re pushing it…economically there would be a pushback. Timing is never known - however.

Not everyone in the parks stay at yacht club…a reminder
For sure there are demographics that get priced out eventually. Thats normal.

Those folks aside, they have been pushing it for decades. price increases on everything out pacing everything else in the economy.

And WE ALL SAID there would be a pushback eventually.

It never happened.

Even a global pandemic did not stop them. Just look where we are now.

Will enough folks draw back to make them blink?

I doubt it. Time will tell.

I will dust off an old saying . . . "TWDC and its theme parks are . . . . . invincible" ;)

I would be happy to be wrong on this one, but I don't think so.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For sure there are demographics that get priced out eventually. Thats normal.

Those folks aside, they have been pushing it for decades. price increases on everything out pacing everything else in the economy.

And WE ALL SAID there would be a pushback eventually.

It never happened.

Even a global pandemic did not stop them. Just look where we are now.

Will enough folks draw back to make them blink?

I doubt it. Time will tell.

I will dust off an old saying . . . "TWDC and its theme parks are . . . . . invincible" ;)

I would be happy to be wrong on this one, but I don't think so.
Yeah…but (again)…they’re lying to you. They don’t want decreased attendance. Wall st won’t allow that. Period.

Iger used that as an almost off the cuff excuse when it did dip. Context.

If it draws back…they’ll promote. Lather rinse repeat.
To say nothing of recession. People forget what the housing crash/recession featured that was particularly damaging to Disney. It was a white collar labor recession. The price of post industrialism. That kills Disney…it’s their wheelhouse.

I digress…and I’ll stop now.

Back to center: Disney can’t be given the Covid/labor pass anymore. They’re manipulating us and charging more anyway. Protect your own house.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

Yeah…but (again)…they’re lying to you. They don’t want decreased attendance. Wall st won’t allow that. Period.

Iger used that as an almost off the cuff excuse when it did dip. Context.

If it draws back…they’ll promote. Lather rinse repeat.
To say nothing of recession. People forget what the housing crash/recession featured that was particularly damaging to Disney. It was a white collar labor recession. The price of post industrialism. That kills Disney…it’s their wheelhouse.

I digress…and I’ll stop now.

Back to center: Disney can’t be given the Covid/labor pass anymore. They’re manipulating us and charging more anyway. Protect your own house.
All valid points but I think Wall st. Only looks at money now. I don’t think attendance is a measure they look at anymore. We know Disney is doing all they can to lower attendance.

Upvote 0

ceecee101

Back to the original topic, I had to turn down a Space 220 Lounge this morning from Watchers because it was before hopping at 2. I had requested “lunch” or dinner hours because lunch effectively goes until 4. Honestly all we really want to do is go have a drink and maybe an app. Just crazy hard to get. However that did encourage me that maybe a time that works for us will pop up. We are about 39 days out.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Back to the original topic, I had to turn down a Space 220 Lounge this morning from Watchers because it was before hopping at 2. I had requested “lunch” or dinner hours because lunch effectively goes until 4. Honestly all we really want to do is go have a drink and maybe an app. Just crazy hard to get. However that did encourage me that maybe a time that works for us will pop up. We are about 39 days out.
You definitely want to get the lounge

The prix fixe is “meh” at the very best

Upvote 0

ceecee101

You definitely want to get the lounge

The prix fixe is “meh” at the very best
Yes we haven’t been in over 10 years so we’d like to check it out but do NOT want a full meal, so hoping something pops up. This 2 pm hopping thing is new to us (as is reservations and all the rest of it) so was a bit depressing to have to give up this reservation That popped up which was before 2. Anyway it encourages me that something will pop before we get there.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes we haven’t been in over 10 years so we’d like to check it out but do NOT want a full meal, so hoping something pops up. This 2 pm hopping thing is new to us (as is reservations and all the rest of it) so was a bit depressing to have to give up this reservation That popped up which was before 2. Anyway it encourages me that something will pop before we get there.
Ten years?!?

Get the genie. And I hate upsells…but you need it if you don’t want to fall into the Bobs mismanagement trap.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom