News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

Disstevefan1

resort and day ticketed guests would no longer need to make reservations nor would they have any hopping restrictions.
Agreed, this makes too much sense and would be too good for the guest experience, that is why it will not happen.

Perhaps a new unrestricted park hopper option available for PURCHASE to day tickets and resort guests only.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

This was only a “good idea” if they like defending against class action lawsuits.
The AP terms that you’ve agreed to allow them to do this if they so chose. There are no grounds for a lawsuit. The California lawsuit is based on the language in the old terms. They’ve since corrected this.

There’s nothing that prevents Disney from giving reservation exemptions to resort guests. In fact, they already do this for some affiliations.

matt9112

Sure would be nice for them to come back before our trip in December. We are planning on going back in May and possibly early December next year so would be awesome to convert our 10 day tickets this year into annual passes

I have always wondered what the motive here is. What is worse so to speak. Poor locals like me who used to clog the place up on every weekend or more wealthy travelers that use APs for one or two vacations to cut down on ticket costs significantly I presume the wealthy vacationers are spending a lot more money period and the lost ticket revenue probably does not outweigh that. Furthermore buying an AP ticket I presume might lead to those folks planning another vacation they might otherwise not have.

Disstevefan1

I have always wondered what the motive here is. What is worse so to speak. Poor locals like me who used to clog the place up on every weekend or more wealthy travelers that use APs for one or two vacations to cut down on ticket costs significantly I presume the wealthy vacationers are spending a lot more money period and the lost ticket revenue probably does not outweigh that. Furthermore buying an AP ticket I presume might lead to those folks planning another vacation they might otherwise not have.
The Disney Data folks lump all the APers together; the poor folks who spent every penny on the APs who bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to the park, are lumped together with, the wealthy travelers who purchase APs, visit the parks multiple times a year and spend the money they saved on the APs on other things in the parks.

The data shows visitors who enter the park with an AP, spend less.

I think at one time, Disney thought the more folks they let in, the more money they would make.

Disney has changed their thinking.

Elimination of APs and implementation of park pass reservations as created artificial demand for just being in the park.

Now instead of saying, "I will pick this up on my next visit" has become, "I better get this now because I don't know when I will be back."

ToTBellHop

The Disney Data folks lump all the APers together; the poor folks who spent every penny on the APs who bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to the park, are lumped together with, the wealthy travelers who purchase APs, visit the parks multiple times a year and spend the money they saved on the APs on other things in the parks.

The data shows visitors who enter the park with an AP, spend less.

I think at one time, Disney thought the more folks they let in, the more money they would make.

Disney has changed their thinking.

Elimination of APs and implementation of park pass reservations as created artificial demand for just being in the park.

Now instead of saying, "I will pick this up on my next visit" has become, "I better get this now because I don't know when I will be back."
I reality, they don’t need to differentiate. The type of guest they want, regardless of ticket type, are those who are planning a vacation, not day-trippers. Vacations are planned in advance. In advance, there is absolutely no issue getting a reservation whether you have an AP or day ticket. Whether they wish to further incentivize a resort stay is another discussion, but vacationers already get preferential treatment.

If they want to limit attendance, I can’t fault them for preferring vacationers.

Somehow, the local vloggers are there all the damn time anyway.

Disstevefan1

I reality, they don’t need to differentiate. The type of guest they want, regardless of ticket type, are those who are planning a vacation, not day-trippers. Vacations are planned in advance. In advance, there is absolutely no issue getting a reservation whether you have an AP or day ticket. Whether they wish to further incentivize a resort stay is another discussion, but vacationers already get preferential treatment.

If they want to limit attendance, I can’t fault them for preferring vacationers.

Somehow, the local vloggers are there all the damn time anyway.
I do not need to look at the data to know day trippers are APs and that is why they want to eliminate APs.

Perhaps they should offer better ticket discounts for vacationers who stay multiple days on site, then vacationers would not care about the loss of "savings" not using an AP.

In my opinion, vacationers who stay multiple days on site should get many more perks than they get, they are already spending huge money on overpriced rooms.

But then again, why should Disney do that? Folks are going to show up anyway.

Disney Glimpses

The truth is that with the new permanent capacity limits that are way below fire code limits, people are going to be blocked out from visiting at least one park nearly every single day. From a business perspective, it makes absolutely no sense for the people to be blocked out to be those spending thousands and thousands of dollars visiting from out of state while not blocking out the AP who spent < $1,000 for the entire year and can visit any time.

Disney Glimpses

I do not need to look at the data to know day trippers are APs and that is why they want to eliminate APs.
They don't want to eliminate APs but the new capacity limits have forced them to chose who to and not to let in on a daily basis. They are always going to pick the guest who is most likely to spend more money.

Disstevefan1

They don't want to eliminate APs but the new capacity limits have forced them to chose who to and not to let in on a daily basis. They are always going to pick the guest who is most likely to spend more money.
Disney can't argue with their own data.

In my opinion, they always wanted to eliminate APs as well as implement park pass reservations and the pandemic gave them the perfect excuse.

We are talking about the same thing. They are always going to pick the guest who is most likely to spend more money.

correcaminos

Interestingly enough I recently got a survey about my AP usage and how I feel I am being treated as an AP holder. I am not a local AP holder, but the type who always is onsite with my DVC and do usually 2 meals/bigger snacks in the park a day. Even when I buy three meals for my kid on shorter trips, I still do 2 myself. So I likely am not the AP holder they hate on. We've been doing a VIP tour per longer trip as well. So not a cheapskate here. My AP is only valuable in that I go and spend more on more trips. Add on more for DVC too. So they get my guaranteed MF income. If they stopped APs, we'd sell off and not go as much. Kid wants more international travel anyway.

There were some interesting questions asked that make me feel they didn't totally hate on AP holders. But it will be what it will be. Truthfully an add on at the PVB tower kind of hangs on what they do next for us.

Disstevefan1

Interestingly enough I recently got a survey about my AP usage and how I feel I am being treated as an AP holder. I am not a local AP holder, but the type who always is onsite with my DVC and do usually 2 meals/bigger snacks in the park a day. Even when I buy three meals for my kid on shorter trips, I still do 2 myself. So I likely am not the AP holder they hate on. We've been doing a VIP tour per longer trip as well. So not a cheapskate here. My AP is only valuable in that I go and spend more on more trips. Add on more for DVC too. So they get my guaranteed MF income. If they stopped APs, we'd sell off and not go as much. Kid wants more international travel anyway.

There were some interesting questions asked that make me feel they didn't totally hate on AP holders. But it will be what it will be. Truthfully an add on at the PVB tower kind of hangs on what they do next for us.
Disney does not hate anyone. It's all about the data.

Maybe Disney should do individual means testing and make folks apply for an AP.

If their data shows you spend enough money while in the parks, you are approved and will be allowed to purchase an AP ;)

correcaminos

If their data shows you spend enough money while in the parks, you are approved and will be allowed to purchase an AP ;)
I did not mean hate literally ;)

Just found it interesting to add that past week I did a survey for APs. Happy to write out questions I screen captured to share.
I'm sure some AP holders would love and others hate (this time meaning it) on the idea of applications. That could be fun 🤣

Disstevefan1

I did not mean hate literally ;)

Just found it interesting to add that past week I did a survey for APs. Happy to write out questions I screen captured to share.
I'm sure some AP holders would love and others hate (this time meaning it) on the idea of applications. That could be fun 🤣
Really all I ever wanted was some sort of loyalty program that rewards you based on how much you spend.

SingleRider

I'm planning to go down for the first full week in November, arriving Saturday before Veteran's Day and leaving the Sunday after Veteran's day. I want to do 7-8 park days and haven't decided whether I want to stay onsite or offsite. If I stay offsite I can only get 5 park reservations at a time. Is there any chance I could get locked out of going to any park on some day that week? (Meaning - is there likely to be a day when none of the 4 parks are available for reservations?)

mikejs78

Premium Member

I mean, they are kind of solving for this with the different pools. APs only get a certain amount of reservations at once and have a limited bucket, but if you are an AP holders staying on site / DVC, you get length of stay reservations and can pull from the resort bucket.

Disstevefan1

I'm planning to go down for the first full week in November, arriving Saturday before Veteran's Day and leaving the Sunday after Veteran's day. I want to do 7-8 park days and haven't decided whether I want to stay onsite or offsite. If I stay offsite I can only get 5 park reservations at a time. Is there any chance I could get locked out of going to any park on some day that week? (Meaning - is there likely to be a day when none of the 4 parks are available for reservations?)
I hate the park pass reservation system but there is close to zero chance none of the 4 parks would be available.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I mean, they are kind of solving for this with the different pools. APs only get a certain amount of reservations at once and have a limited bucket, but if you are an AP holders staying on site / DVC, you get length of stay reservations and can pull from the resort bucket.
I would frontload MK/DHS if I were you as those two parks are the ones that tend to sell out. Epcot/AK are usually available more last minute. If you stay onsite of course you can make all of your reservations early.

Disney Glimpses

I still find it perplexing there is no DVC specific/distinct AP.

correcaminos

I still find it perplexing there is no DVC specific/distinct AP.
Yup

When DVC first started, they use to GIVE park passes to DVC owners.

I agree, DVC owners should get some kind of park pass perks.

These DVC owners are invested and committed to the parks.
It was only for half occupancy. They did have an end date listed from the start too, but still. You want me to spend way more? Go back to that or give a real DVC AP and I know I'll do more sit downs and such. We never go above half occupancy ourselves.... or rarely at least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom